Has anyone used Thangles?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 45 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie posted on Thu, Feb 23 2012 11:04 AM

I just learned about thangles and was wondering what you all thought about them???

• | Post Points: 125

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,479 Posts
Points 41,345
Answered (Verified) Mimi replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 11:10 AM
Verified by Annie

Nana:
I plan on using the triangulations program when I am going to be making a large number of blocks.  If it is just a few I will continue to use the 1/4 measure and mark my block.

I like your idea Nana.  And I also make the block 1/8 bigger and cut it down.  There are so many ways each one should just pick the technique that makes you happy. 

BTW I think you were liking the asterisk block from the Craftsy BOM.  I found a pattern this AM as I was looking through magazines.  If you have Quiltmaker May/June 2010 there is a scrappy quilt made with just asterisk blocks on pages 51 -53.  Not trying to give you more to do just saw it this morning and thought of you.

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

I've never used them, I think I bought some a long time back and then got sidetracked. But I'm sure someone on here has used them and will come along with a great answer for you..

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
649 Posts
Points 16,405
Zsofia replied on Thu, Feb 23 2012 11:32 AM

Annie:

I just learned about thangles and was wondering what you all thought about them???

Hi Annie,

I used something similar when I made my Mariner's Compass (paper piecing group project) but they called it "triangulations grid". After printing the paper out put it on top of your fabric pair  and started to sew. It was easy just follow the little arrows around and when you are done sewing cut on the solid lines. All my half-square triangles are turned out great.

Zsofia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

See I told you two great answers just like that. :)

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,846 Posts
Points 248,964
Barbara replied on Thu, Feb 23 2012 11:42 AM

Annie I have used the triangulations gird  and I loved it .Have been thinking about getting some ,the one I used was the same as Zsofia used . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,854 Posts
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Thu, Feb 23 2012 11:42 AM

Richard, this sounds like a good idea to me. Think I will pick up some of the triangles on a roll. My LQS does not carry, or think much of Thangles. I wonder if she carries the triangles on a roll. Will have to see.

Sukochi

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Feb 23 2012 11:49 AM

The Quilt Daddy:
Thangles are great when you only have a few to make but Triangle On A Roll are best when you have a large number to make.

Richard,

Are the triangles on a roll on bigger sheets and that why you prefer them to thangles when needing more?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,422 Posts
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Thu, Feb 23 2012 4:25 PM

Hi Annie, I have used both Thangles and Triangles on a Roll.   My LQS did a Thangles BOM several years ago using Batiks in gold, blue, green and rust.   I found them easy to use but I only did one block a month.   The quilt itself is in my gallery -- Think I just called it BOM Star Quilt.   I have lots and lots left over.    If you are doing lots, you really do want the triangles on a roll.

Top 25 Contributor
3,771 Posts
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Thu, Feb 23 2012 4:57 PM

Maggie:
If you are doing lots, you really do want the triangles on a roll.

Hi Annie

I have used both like Maggie and agree with her.  Thangles are ok but I found Triangles on the Roll easier  for me to use--.they are kinda like fool proof, For me, that is a big Key. LOL  Now, Nana told me about a computer program that you can just print your own.  Now I think that would be cool. --save $$ in the long haul. Just print what you need and call it a day.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Feb 23 2012 11:37 PM

mars92:

Maggie:
If you are doing lots, you really do want the triangles on a roll.

Hi Annie

I have used both like Maggie and agree with her.  Thangles are ok but I found Triangles on the Roll easier  for me to use--.they are kinda like fool proof, For me, that is a big Key. LOL  Now, Nana told me about a computer program that you can just print your own.  Now I think that would be cool. --save $ in the long haul. Just print what you need and call it a day.

Would love to find out about that computer program to print out your won triangles on a roll. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Fri, Feb 24 2012 1:22 AM

Annie

I actually ordered the Triangulations program today.  In its write up it says you can do any size HST as well as flying geese.  I am really anxious to get it and try it out.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Feb 24 2012 9:10 AM

Nana,

I am looking into geting it too.  Then you just need to print it out on your own paper, right? Like the one I'd use for paper piecing? 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,846 Posts
Points 248,964

Nana where did you go to get it ? Thanks Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 4 (46 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use