Keeping Track of Important dates and numbers

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 125
Heather Andrews Posted: Tue, Feb 21 2012 9:41 AM

I find that I cannot always use the same username or password for each site I visit.  I have a note book that contains all this information on one page. I divided the book so I have notes in each section from the individual sites I do not want to forget.  This tells me where to go back to so I can review before I start a new project.

I hope this helps someone else.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 9:42 AM

The older you get, the more important this is.  Just remember where you hid the book!!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 9:48 AM

Vivian,

Great advice. I do mine with my computer. I put the information in an  e-mail and then e-mail  the information I use to login to myself. I then save the e-mail in a folder with my mail. I put in the subject line the name of the site so it's easy to look up. Very handy for me.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 9:51 AM

Vivian,

I also want to welcome you to the site. Enjoy it here. Lots of very informative people here.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 9:53 AM

thanks for the welcome. I have been a member for just over a year.  I just changed my signature and got a whole new me!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 10:09 AM

Sorry Vivian,

I meant to say Heather on that welcome.  Heather, that welcome was for you!!!

But I will say welcome to the new signature!! :-)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 10:15 AM

Good idea, Heather! 

I use a little inexpensive address book I got at the Dollar Store.  I put places I visit online in that book with each site's user id and password.  I generally try to use the same user id and password whenever possible for  places I just 'visit'  (where I don't purchase anything).   I keep that address book near the computer.

But I keep a separate list of places like the bank, or places I do make online purchases using my credit card, in a separate room away from the computer. And I use a completely different, more involved user id/password for those places.  And change them frequently. 

I've had two bad experiences using PayPal within the last year. Both time the fraud department for my CC carrier caught the 'unusual use' of my card within an hour of my using it for a purchase using PayPal. Needless to say, I don't use PayPal anymore!  The cc carrier is working with PayPal and the vendors to determine where/how/who, etc the accounts were hacked.  As a result, I now have one cc I use only for online purchases/payments that has a very low credit limit.  And a second card with a higher limit for use when I have the card in my hand.  It keeps the exposure low as possible, and the CC carrier can tell immediately if someone is trying to buy airline tickets to Japan that something isn't right! 

I like the idea of making notes on the list. 

Max

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,541
Points 416,959
gini replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 10:15 AM

Hi heather, welcome to the group.  Putting them on the computer worked great until my computer died.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 10:42 AM

Gini,You're right. That is a fear of mine. Where I have them saved, I wouldn't lose them.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 1:28 PM

Good for you for using enough unique logins and passwords that you need to write them down to remember them.  Some people use the same login/password for everything - not a good idea!

Another good tip is to make your passwords complicated - add capital letters, numbers, punctuation, and even use control+shift with a letter or number to make it even harder to hack.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,037
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 9:31 PM

gini:

Hi heather, welcome to the group.  Putting them on the computer worked great until my computer died.

Gini,

This is true. Use a "cloud" device so they'll be there no matter what happens to you physical computer.

I use the same user name and/or password for quilting sties but they get very complicated for banking etc. I use the strong password generator from time to time. 

Nancy these days the criminals use keystroke capture software. They can steal your password by recording what you type. This is why changing your password often is recommended.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,541
Points 416,959
gini replied on Wed, Feb 22 2012 12:13 AM

i am now officially in the cloud with the ipad.  sam thought i've been there all along.   our SIL is  one of the O"s for a large banking corporation.  he is in charge of cyber crimes against the bank.  he sits in a little office all day long hacking hackers and figuring out how to  stump hackers.   he says one of the best passwords you can have is a long string of words with no puntuation or capitals, something like this.   goldylocksandthethreebearssharedabreakfastofporridgeandfellasleeponthebedafterbreakingthechair

he says this kind of password is impossible to break. .     

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,541
Points 416,959
gini replied on Wed, Feb 22 2012 12:15 AM

all of the string of words didn't come out, the rest of it is:   onthebedafterbreakingthechair

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 22 2012 1:21 AM

Gini

That password may be almost impossible but alot of places only allow 8 to 12 characters.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,541
Points 416,959
gini replied on Wed, Feb 22 2012 9:48 AM

Nana:

Gini

That password may be almost impossible but alot of places only allow 8 to 12 characters.

So you can tell I don't take his advice.

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use