This post has 32 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,347
Points 30,575
Agnes replied on Mon, Feb 20 2012 9:32 AM

Mimi:
they just roll their eyes

Mimi--I know what you mean. My feeling is too bad, so sad. They generally have no problem accepting my homemade gifts and keep looking for more. Time to head back to the Relaxation room, oops sewing room.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,240
diane replied on Mon, Feb 20 2012 9:47 AM

I admit to shopping sales both locally and on-line.  For instance, Jo Ann Fabric on-line has a 1 cent shipping offer that ends today AND batting is on sale.  I picked up 4 crib size "warm and white" batting packets for future projects.  Meanwhile, I went to the local Jo Ann and picked up some fabric (25% off plus a coupon printed from the website for another 10% off) and tools. 

I subscribe to on-line quilt shop newsletters.  They can be annoying but when they announce sales they are valuable.  I've never been disappointed in color or cut from the favorite on-line shops. 

Being on a budget I find that spending my "coffee time" in the morning on-line I've managed to get some fabrics for current projects and some fabrics for the stach without breaking the bank.

Chews Landing, NJ

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Mon, Feb 20 2012 10:42 AM

AnnEliz, when fabric prices increased last year, I vowed not to buy fabric but to only make quilts out of my stash for the entire year. I must admit, I don't have much stash left! I only purchased fabric I needed for the back of a quilt, (that I got on sale for $2 a yard plus 20% military discount), and some clearance fabric I found at 90% off when I went to MN last year.

With all that said, I am in trouble this year because I don't have a lot of stash to make quilts this year. I am down to 3 UFO's!!! Which is a first!

I do a lot of online shopping and will only shop the clearance racks at quilt shops. To be sure of correct color and such, I look through magazines or go to quilt shops to ensure the fabric I am purchasing online is the correct colors. I also shop at JoAnn's when they have good sales. Most online quilt shops run sales for free or reduced shipping and seem to have a lot more clearance. I do the fab shop hop,  http://www.fabshophop.com/  as often as I can because I find excellent deals and have a chance to win gift certificates, fabric and sewing machines.

I also stopped making things for people and paying for materials. Now I simply say I will be happy to make that for you but you have to purchase all the materials and thread. That saved me a fortune!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,025
Points 16,160
Judy Lee replied on Mon, Feb 20 2012 11:04 AM

Honey Fork has fabric on sale for  4 dollars a yard by Moda, Mayfield, Henry Glass, etc

The fabric is really pretty!

Judylee

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 879
Points 17,515
Sue replied on Mon, Feb 20 2012 11:47 AM

Hi All,

According to the owner of my LQS, the reason the cost is going up is because of a drought, not sure where - could be in Texas, where cotton is grown.  There is less cotton available to be woven into fabric, hence the cost is rising.  Never mind about the stockpile most manufacturers have, they have to start at least a year ahead to get the next line ready.  It is the same with gasoline, the cost of a barrel goes up and so do pump prices, even though the gas at the station is from last delivery and wasn't affected by this increase.  Go figure!  Well enough ranting and raving!  I just shop sales now from whoever is having one.

Sue

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
AnnEliz, I have a budget and will not go and buy hundreds of $$$$$ of fabric but I do use coupons and sales and end up very happy with what I get. I like to make utility quilts that are pretty but go on bodies to keep them warm. So far with really working the sales and coupons it helps. Besides it's a challenge and I like that part!

MelodyP

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Mon, Feb 20 2012 1:36 PM

Granny Agnes:
Try living in Canada where LQS prices have been $15 and up for quite some time if you are shopping for new lines

hear, hear,  If you want the new lines, you pay through the nose.  I stock up whenever I can and I have enough to make several quilts without buying more fabric.  At least thats what I tell my husband.  he never says a word.  He never even notices what I buy and what I don't.  Gotta love that. I don't even think twice, if the price is with in my price range, I stock up.  I was super lucky and picked up a bunch at $5/ meter and bought 2 or 3 meters per fabric.  I'll pick up more when I see it.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 148
Points 3,100
QDancer replied on Mon, Feb 20 2012 5:53 PM

I second Cary....Fabric.com offers free shipping when you purchase $35 or more. they always have fabric up to 50% off and I can usually find fabric for under 6$ yd.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 148
Points 3,100
QDancer replied on Mon, Feb 20 2012 5:54 PM

oops...sorry...Carey!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,347
Points 30,575
Agnes replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 7:24 AM

QDancer:
offers free shipping when you purchase

Free shipping in the US only. Best shipping deal I have found to Canada is from Connecting Threads. Free to US equates to $7 to Canada on web orders over $50. All other firms immediately go by priority envelopes or set amounts per dollar values. This can easily add another couple of dollars onto each yard. I received a huge order from CT yesterday. I pooled with a friend and we got 8 queen batts. I also got 14 yards of fabric but already find I have to juggle my ides just to finish the two quilts that this fabric was for specifically. One thing for sure I keep my brain active using every inch rather than abandoning ship and adding it to stash to purchase something else. Still only $7, can't beat that..

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,171
Points 30,535
Ramona replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 12:21 PM

I try to use my coupons at Joann for the more expensive things like backing and batting. However, my last two batting orders I did through Gammill. That's because where my machine is (KY) I'm not near a Joann's. Things have gone up, way up. I, too, am lucky that I purchased a lot of fabric ahead of time. I called it my retirement stash. I knew I would some day have a longarm so I purchased fabric from store closings and with coupons and sales from Joann's. I still purchase fabric but try to shop first in my stash.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 305

I want to thank everyone who replied to my expensive fabric topic. I appreciate all replies and I guess I will have to go to patches and scrappy quilts--I really don't like them--mostly because I am not good with colors. I simply cannot visualize what things will look like plus I hate to take all the time picking out my fabrics. I am always in a hurry to sew. This site is a great feature of Quilters Club of America and I'd like to thank them, too.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Wed, Feb 22 2012 2:43 PM

Joy - I second what you said about making things for people. I just finished up a sweet little tooth fairy pillow for a lady here at work & her granddaughter. That one I gave to her but, in showing it around, I've now got 2 more requesting one. They will be paying for them. I also used my President's coupons at JoAnn's on Monday and got my 40% off of 1 item and my 20% off military discount, too. Saved almost 50% when it was all said & done.

I also subscribe to lots of newsletters and yes, they can flood your email inbox but, they've been invaluable. Just this week I got 15 yds of fabric for $3.00 per yd from www.eleanorburns.com. No choice of anything other than color group. i.e. browns, greens, etc. But, surprises can be good. I also get a lot from CT as many here do and they've just come out with some new collections that are pretty.

Several people here have posted about estate sales and I guess those are probably good sources. I've never seen one here locally that advertised fabric but, not to say it's not there.

Yep - fabric has gotten very, very expensive but, so has everything else. Heck, if you knit or crochet, the cost of yarn has skyrocketed, too. I blame a lot of it on the cost of oil. It affects so much.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Wed, Feb 22 2012 5:46 PM

I went to my LQS and she had christmas fabric on for $5/m so of course i bought 3m of the 3 fabrics I liked.  Stash builder.  I can make so much with fabric I have at home.

Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.