Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 32 Replies | 11 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 305
Ann Roadarmel Posted: Sun, Feb 19 2012 3:00 PM

I frequent my LQS and have noticed that fabric prices are increasing drastically. They're asking at least $10.50 per yard which is now out of my budget price range. As you know, when the batting and backing are added, the cost increases even more. They do have a budget section where their older fabrics and undesirables are sold at a decreased rate. Many times there is not enough of it to complete a project. I am very discouraged.

I like to give my quilted items as gifts to family and friends, but the cost prohibits this gift giving, especially when living on a limited income.

QUILTING IS NOT AN INEXPENSIVE HOBBY!!!

I have looked on the internet for less expensive fabric, but then there is the added cost for postage and/or handling. Some fabric is not true to color, and you receive something you weren't expecting.

The point of this whole thing is that it is getting more and more difficult to pursue a quilting hobby. Are any of you experiencing this problem? A curious mind would like to know.  Thank you. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,025
Points 16,160
Judy Lee replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 3:19 PM

Welcome AnnEliz,

Yes all the items with cotton in them are going up , up , and did I mention up!  I was fortunate enough to be able to make a very  nice hoard before the prices started their climb.  You can still find quality fabrics at a great price at Connectiong Threads.  I have never been disappointed in the quality or color of their fabrics.

Juydlee

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 843
Points 18,935
Cindy replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 3:25 PM

AnnEliz,  That is exactly why I am now making a lot of scrap quilts.  I just can't justify purchasing expensive fabrics when I have a closet full.  I have made it a point of going to my stash before I buy.

Cindy

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,914
Points 420,739
gini replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 4:30 PM

We haven't had new collections under ten dollars for a while

Try appliqué !  Muslinis still a lot cheaper and you can use scraps for the appliqué.

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 310

AnnEliz,

I to did a double take yesterday, as I needed 12 more fat quarters, and most of the batiks are now $10.95 plus tax a yard. And fat quarters are $3.00

I could buy my quilt already made cheaper, but , no fun in that.

I do like to order from Hancock's, I have always been happy with them.

Yes, quilting is expensive, but oh the rewards are wonderful. I have made lots of wall hangings , one each for my siblings=9

And two big kings. And am started on king no. 3

I to would try the fab shops on internet, some are the same fabric, but a little cheaper. If you order enough, shipping is free.

halei jo ( Joyce )

Joyce ( halei jo )

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 341
Points 7,040

I do not get to Quilt shops very often any more since moving to Ohio and have relied on my stash. I know the prices are going very high for fabric and everything in general!! I am afraid more people will rely on old clothing for making quilts and I really hate to see that happen. I am sure we are not the first quilters to experience being frugal, but it does dampen our spirits just a little. What I worry about most is our quilt shops being able to "maintain" under the pressures of their costs of supplies and fabric and our unableness to buy at the high prices. They are caught in the middle. I wish I could get out and support them more, with high prices I don't see that happening. It is sad, they give us wonderful advice, great ideas, and a common love for quilting that we need to keep us inspired. They need our support. Hugs just don't pay their bills either! LOL I am hoping the economy gets better, we can still hold onto hope! Until then, I guess we will do what we have to do to make those precious quilts and keep our sanity by staying busy!! Happy Quilting and share if you have extra!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,133
Points 14,330
Carey replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 8:21 PM

Yes, I wait for the sales on fabrics from local and online stores. I frequently buy from Joann's now instead of the other places. Some places online offer free shipping if you spend 35 or 50 bucks just a suggestion. Check out fabric.com, and connecting threads they offer free shipping with a minimum purchase. Joann's also runs free shipping if you spend a certain amount and sometimes during the sales flyers during holidays you can get free shipping even without a minimum.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,373
Points 143,370

The prices are getting high. I'm considering stopping eating so I can buy fabric (LOL).

One local shop has a really large 50% off section and the fabrics are very nice. I usually can find my backing fabric or fill in pieces. When the Western Washington Shop Hop happens in June, I plan to really stock up on 50% off fabric. Nearly all the shops have scads to choose from.  We spend two days taking in the16 shops that are fairly nearby (minimum number of shops to be entered into prize drawings). There are 54 participating shops spread through Western Washington.

Why do prices always raise on the essentials most? (Yes, fabric IS an essential)

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 369
Points 6,790

Try thousandsofbolts.com. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,061
Points 170,752
MNnancy replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 9:23 PM

I agree the prices are good on ThousandsOfBolts.com, but usually I cannot find the newest fabric lines, and the design lines that are there are incomplete with only 2 or 3 choices left per line.

If I only need a few specific colors to coordinate with a project I'm working on, I like working with their color categories.  There is a bit of luck involved in matching colors since you're only seeing it on a computer screen, but they certainly do have a lot of brand name fabric and the prices are cheaper than at the store.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,771
Points 65,968
Jeanine replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 10:15 PM

Cost of fabric has NEVER stopped quilters from quilting.  We have just been spoiled through the "good times".  We may just need to shop smarter and look around for what we already have at home.  I am fine hunting down bargains on fabric.  Last year I bought over $300 worth of fabric at Hancock's clearance for $1/per yard.  Some of that was $9/yd regular price!  Where there's a will...there's a way!  Even when the economy is struggling.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,575
Points 30,594
Kelley replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 10:24 PM

Jeanine:
We may just need to shop smarter and look around for what we already have at home.  I am fine hunting down bargains on fabric. 

This is why I ordered from a guy I met on Ebay that has some fabric for $2.00 a yard. I know I couldnt buy 100 yards of fabric at $ 10.00 a yard ...

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,347
Points 26,565
Agnes replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 10:35 PM

Try living in Canada where LQS prices have been $15 and up for quite some time if you are shopping for new lines. I like the edge that I get by not working within collections. Hence most of my fabric dollars are being spent at Connecting Threads (CT) or  Thousands of bolts via the internet. Locally I head to Marshall's. Batting with shipping, etc factored in from CT on their sale just finishing was less than half price of Warm and Natural at Marshall's.

Years ago, after I had been on medications to relax me, and having suffered severe side effects I decided I could relax with hobbies. At that time it was knitting or crocheting afghans. The hobby of choice has changed but not my motto: Quilting is not  necessarily  cheaper than medication but a lot more enjoyable. I am just getting myself straightened out again because I felt that I didn't need to keep making quilted items. With that slacking came the first signs of depression to the point I was ready to head to the doctor's. The thought of medication snapped me out of it. I reset my work areas and am going strong again. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,511
Points 41,560
Mimi replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 10:52 PM

Granny Agnes:
I decided I could relax with hobbies

Thanks for putting this so eloquently.  When I tell people that quilting (or any needle work for that matter) is my therapy they just roll their eyes. It gives me a creative outlet that is productive and fun.  Glad you're making more quilted things and taking good care of yourself too.

Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2018 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.