Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 165
mrs_goodwrench Posted: Sun, Feb 19 2012 8:12 AM

Greetings All!

I am a newbie on this site but a veteran quilter (made my first quilt in 1975).  This week I bought a 1906 Singer sewing machine.  Anyone else into the oldies?  I hope to get it fixed up and running.  It has both the treadle drive and an electric motor.

Would love to hear from anyone else out there into the old sewing machines. :o)

Blessings,

mrs_goodwrench 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,209
Points 16,230
Susan replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 9:31 AM

Welcome, Mrs_Goodwrench! I love the old sewing machines, but do not own one. Where are you from? Tell us a little about yourself. Looking forward to seeing some pics of your work and your machine.                                                   Susan, North,Florida

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 9:43 AM

Mrs. Goodwrench,

I think you will be hearing from many owners/lovers of vintage machines.   Welcome to QCA!   I hope we'll be hearing much more from you.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 10:00 AM

mrs_goodwrench:
Anyone else into the oldies? 

Guilty, as charged.

I have, umm, I think 13 old machines (Pre-dating 1950) at last count. 2 treadles - A 1929 Singer Model 66 and a Sterling that I haven't been able to date. I use a 1927 Singer Electric as my back-up for my Bernina. Hubby bought me a zig-zagger attachment for it for Christmas, so I'm a happy girl!  The treadle did hard service for years when I was making 'Authentic" period clothing for cowboy re-enactors.  I love that machine! It's earned it's semi retirement. 

The Sterling is a puzzle. It's an English made machine. I have no clue when it was made, but I'd guess not long after WWII ended. Sterling started off manufacturing  firearms. (Singer actually retro fitted to make gun parts during the war, thats why it's hard to find a machine made by them between 1937-1942!) This machine actually has a spring pin from an automatic rifle for the tensioner and a gun sight for the top thread guide!! Sadly it was stored in a leaky shed and I doubt I'll ever get it re-built to usable condition.  

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 11:11 AM

I have a 1902 singer treadle, a 1928 99K singer with wooden carry case, 1950 singer in the cabinet, 1950's Vogue machine as well as my new Bernina and new Janome.   Also presently looking at another treadle and a featherweight.  Love my antique machines.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 20,790
KATHY replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 1:04 PM

WELCOME!

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,882
Points 367,007
Kris replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 3:15 PM

Welcome Mrs G.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Welcome Mrs Goodwrench!  I don't have any antique machines but I worked for a division of Willcox and Gibbs for a little over 10 years.  We had some of their beautiful antique machines on display in our lobby.  I often wonder what happened to the machines when they went bankrupt. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 165

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!  I do appreciate it! :o) 

About me......retired after working as an auto mechanic for 28 years so the name mrs_goodwrench is for me, not dh. lol  I have been putting my mechanical skills to use by fixing sewing machines in the last year.  Would love to have more time for quilting but lately I have been sewing more clothes.  Just finished a prom jacket for my son's gf and a matching tie for him. The jacket had gusseted sleeves and was a challenge but turned out nice. 

As to quilts, I love all styles of quilts but especially civil war reproductions or anything scrappy.  I like to take hand piecing with me when I'm going somewhere I can sit (son's baseball games, etc.)  but I do love my Viking Quilt Designer, too.    I have taught some quilting classes to children and adults, but I love teaching to girls ages 8 -12.  They have such fun and are so enthusiastic and creative.  

I am part of a small group that sews for charity.  Next Sat. we are having a Sew-in to make blankets/quilts for the homeless.  

I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Blessings,

mrs_goodwrench 

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Mon, Feb 20 2012 10:03 AM

Hi mrs g, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Feb 20 2012 10:07 AM

Mrs.G welcome to the club, I loved hearing about all the old machines , I may be getting one myself. I have heard back form the lady selling it but I want to some more info on the machine. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 5:50 AM

Welcome Mrs, Goodwrench

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,514
Points 30,780
Diana replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 6:07 AM

Welcome Mrs. Goodwrench,

I have DH's grandmother's Singer Treadle sewing machine.  I bought a new belt for it and now to have it cleaned and serviced.  I first have to move it down to my quilt studio from the garage upstairs.  My sewing machine serviceman comes to the house (last of a dying breed).  He does great work and isn't too expensive either.  It's the same price if he does them at my house or his shop. I also have 2 Bernina machines and a Brother that are newer.  Wish having all these machines would make me sew more...lol

Diana in East Tn.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

mrs_goodwrench--

Nice to meet you.  Civil War reproductions are my favorite,too.  Look forward to seeing picture of your work.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 147
Points 3,260
Marque replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 8:23 PM

Welcome from another newbie to this site. I too love the older machines.

I have two Singer treadles, one is a red eye.  Two Singer Featherweights. one black and one white. A White Rotary that a lady sold to me, her mother bought it in San Francisco while walking home after seeing Lindbergh take off. I have my husbands Grandmother's Free Westinghouse. I also have a Singer 99, a Singer 66 and a Spartan. I have sewn on all of the except the Red Eye and the Spartan. Right now I mainly sew on a Designer Diamond and a Designer Ruby.

I do not make clothing but do quilt and make other crafty type stuff.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use