Invisible thread and baby quilts

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
58 Posts
Points 2,110
Steph posted on Fri, Feb 17 2012 10:15 AM

I'm about to machine quilt a real quilt for the first time--after practicing--and was wondering if invisible thread is appropriate for a flannel baby quilt.  I don't know if there are safety issues for the baby, or if the filament will cut the flannel?  Thanks!.  Steph

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,814
gini replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 11:16 AM

steph, it should work fine.  if it is a quilt that will be used,   use will wear it out long before the thread cuts the fabric

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
402 Posts
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 11:47 AM

I have heard not to use invisible thread on baby quilts.  If the other thread you are using breaks at some time after it is quilted (which might be hard for someone to notice and continue to use the quilt), the invisible thread would form a loop that a baby might get caught in.  Some groups that request charity quilts for young children prohibit the use of invisible thread.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,814
gini replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 11:52 AM

i hadn't heard that, pat.  

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 12:50 PM

I will definitely agree that you should not use invisible thread for baby quilts.  There is a danger of having loose thread wrap around a finger or worse and cutting off circulation.  I'm sure this warning has come about by actual cases of this.  I do a lot of charity quilts and never use invisible thread on quilts I donate (or any quilt just because I don't like it.)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

Hi Steph,

I have used invisible thread on several larger quilts and found a coulple of problems If I did not bury the thread end deeply, it left pokey pokies that itched and A hot dry will weaken the fiber and it will wear out quickly.  For these reasons, I would not use invisible on a baby quilt. Just my opinion, I hope it helps.

Judylee

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,095
Joy replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 10:14 AM

I wouldn't use invisible thread for a baby quilt either. I have done quilts for Quilts for Kids and they prohibit the use of invisible thread. Personally I think its too rough and there are concerns about breakage.

I would also never recommend using invisible thread for your first time machine quilting. It's very temperamental and takes many adjustments to your machines tension to get the right stitches.

A cotton variegated thread is usually a great choice for baby quilts. Pick one that is close to the same colors as you have in your quilt and it will look lovely.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use