Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 843
Points 18,935
Cindy replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 8:49 AM

I don't know, I like the Bernina I already have...There are a lot of dreamy fabrics out there.  I must confess I do use a lot of Moda fabrics though.

Cindy

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 765
Pat replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 8:57 AM

My dream machine is the Bernina 830.  I bought one last year, figured I had bette buy my 'toys' while I was working.  Still have not figured out all of the wonderful things that it can do.  As far as fabric, that is really hard for me, so I guess I will go along with the majority, please give me a blank check or at least a spending allowance.

Pat

Pat

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 466
Points 9,105
Pat A replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 9:04 AM

I have a Pfaff QE 4.0 which I like a lot because of the deep throat.  It does seem a bit temperamental about the type of thread I use.  Fabric.  Bring it all on!!  I do love the batiks and Moda is always a favorite. 

Pat A. in KY

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,266
Points 35,145
Granny M replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 3:01 PM

Joy:
Baby Lock Ellisimo Gold!
  Joy are you aware that the Brother Quattro II is the exact same machine at half the price?

I have a quattro 6000D,  I love it and it was my dream machine when I bought it two year ago.  Not only that, there is an upgrade available the will give it all the new features of the quattro II without having to buy a new machine. 

As for fabric, I love it all.  I would be a rich woman if I had all the money i have spent on fabric.  right now I want all those new blues at connecting thread. 

Stash is like tribbles, the more you pet it the bigger it grows.

Granny M

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 10:28 AM

Annie:
I just got a QE 4.0.  What problems did you have with your first one???

The first problem came with thread and needles breaking when free motion quilting, even more so if I was doing a backwards curve.  And the tension was a very frequent problem when trying to do the quilting as well.  I'd think I was doing well, then look at the back and it would be a mess. It got worse as I used it, even switching brands of threads and needle types.  It did OK the first half of the kid's quilt I was quilting, but then became nearly useless for quilting, as something would go wrong about every 5 minutes.  Took it in, and they tried to work with it, eventually sending it away to another state for repairs and when I got it back a couple months later, I could quilt with it, but it was still temperamental.  Enough so that I did not like free motion quilting.  Next problem came when I was tried to do some thread painting.  I didn't get very far.  So I took it back in.  The next day when I went to see what the verdict was, the owner of the shop met me with a brand new machine.  The company agreed with her that is was a lemon, and gave me the new machine, complete with new warranty, and a couple different feet that had been improved on in the mean time.   During all these repairs, I never had to pay a cent.  So I really praise the company for that. And my replacement sews perfectly and I now think free motion is fun and look forward to doing it.  One of the things the owner did to check the lemon the last time was to try and run it doing a straight stitch in reverse, no hands.  It did not sew straight but made a big curve to one side.

I did some research this past year, and in checking on just about all the machines, found that they are made in China now.  The exception are the long arm machines which are primarily made in the states.

It is so very important to get a good dealer near you.  I think even more so than which is the machine you get.  I thought about switching to a bernina which is the next closer dealer of any machine, but they are two hours away.  I am happy now I stayed with Pfaff.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 1,100
Cathy J replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 10:43 AM

I got my dream machine a few months ago, Brother Innovis NX 450 Q. I love it. This is my first computerized machine. It had all the bells and whistles for quilting and at the price I wanted to spend.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 11:03 AM

I just searched the web about where BERNINA'S are made (I am in love with my 730E!)  and this is what I found:

The Bernina Artista line (630, 635, 640 and 730) are made in Switzerland, along with the 820/830 series.

The Aurora line (430, 440, 450) and the Active Line are made in Bernina's Thailand factory, BY Bernina. It is owned and staffed by Bernina.

So that means Bernina's still have that "founding father's" touch!  Yay!  :D

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 11:46 AM

Bella

I asked about where Bernina's are made when I purchased mine.  I was very impressed that even though they have a factory in Thailand all the parts are still Swiss made and everything still has to meet the original Swiss standards.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 4:40 PM

Nana, don't forget - there are still models entirely made in Switzerland, like mine (730) and (I think) yours, right?  And, of course, the new 830, and my OLD 830 was, also.  YAY!  :D

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use