Top 10 Posters

Darn it! Blood on my white quilt

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 26 Replies | 9 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
55 Posts
Points 1,235
Lori posted on Wed, Feb 8 2012 1:17 PM

I am in the middle of quilting on a quilt with a white background.  I managed to stick myself (without knowing it) and got two drops of blood on the quilt.  I am looking for suggestions on how to get it out without washing the entire thing.  Any ideas?  Maybe Hydrogen Peroxide?

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,314 Posts
Points 154,598

Lori - I have done the same thing. Why does it always have to be on the white????  And HP works great!

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 62,640
Jacy replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 7:18 PM

MNnancy:

Mimi:
And it's funny only your spit can take out your blood, no one else's. 

I've heard this, too!

That's what I was told too. It does work but I wonder if it really has to be you own spit. I don't think I want to have my kids spit on my quilt to test it!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 200

The saliva of the person who's blood it is should get it out.  If it is a small spot.  I know it sounds gross but it works.  Also, hydrogen peroxide.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
788 Posts
Points 20,025
Carol replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 10:33 PM

Lori:

I am in the middle of quilting on a quilt with a white background.  I managed to stick myself (without knowing it) and got two drops of blood on the quilt.  I am looking for suggestions on how to get it out without washing the entire thing.  Any ideas?  Maybe Hydrogen Peroxide?

The way I was taught to remove the spot was to put a length of thread in your mouth and chew until wet, then rub it on the spot - and it does work!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
123 Posts
Points 2,200

SPIT! It really works. I have done it on white of course. just takes a bit of time to work up all the spit. It has to be your own.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,414 Posts
Points 61,767

Jacy:
wonder if it really has to be you own spit

Jacy--

Your blood, your spit.  Those with medical knowledge could probably give a better explanation of why, but I'm guessing it has to do with individual body chemistry.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Thu, Feb 9 2012 11:41 AM

Saliva has an enzyme that starts breaking down protein when you are eating.   Blood is mostly protein so the saliva helps to break the blood down.  I really doubt that it has to be "your blood your saliva" but how many of us want someone else to 'spit' on our quilts....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
55 Posts
Points 1,235
Lori replied on Thu, Feb 9 2012 12:08 PM

I can't wait to get home and try!  Thanks to all for their advice.  I will let you know how it comes out.

Not Ranked
Female
30 Posts
Points 495

I keep Tide to Go pens handy. I've never gotten pricked and bled on a white quilt, but I do it frequently while sewing patches on or altering my hubby's dress whites. Tide pen and a couple of paper towels always helps take the spot out.

Not Ranked
Female
55 Posts
Points 1,235
Lori replied on Thu, Feb 9 2012 8:08 PM

Totally Awesome.  It worked like a charm!  A little Saliva goes a long way.  I told my husband the solution and he told me I was crazy....then I handed him the quilt and he could no longer find the spots.This is the best place to get great advice.

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 5

THIS ABSOLUTLY WORKS.   BEEN DOING IT FOR YEARS.  

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 90
Ellen replied on Sat, Feb 11 2012 8:28 AM

Wonderful!!  So glad it worked! 

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use