Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 25
Points 525
jgipson Posted: Thu, Feb 2 2012 9:41 AM

I am sure we all have someone in the house taking some sort of prescription med. Have you ever thought of how many of these pill bottles go into landfills. Most  only need to be wiped out with a dry paper towel to be made safe. The come in a variety of sizes and the labels remove quite easily allowing you to see whats inside.

How many small sewing notions can you fit in these bottles.  Straight pins, Needles, Buttons, Safety pins, Embroidery Floss, Rhinestones,  Small spools of thread, small embroidery scissors, Beads, AA batteries, AAA batteries, chalk stone for marking, Bobbins, Presser Feet, Screws, Sewing machine Screwdrivers, Jump drives, Memory cards.

I am sure you can add to this list. But these jars protect all these items from damage and from being tangled and messing in a purse or box. I usually take thread and needles with me in my  pocket when I got to the dr., I just reach for my pill bottle and I am ready to embroider while waiting for my name to be called. No more thread untangling and twisting and I keep like 2 needles right in the small bottle with the thread. These bottles come in lots of sizes, check out the medicine cabinet, they are free after the pills are gone. And it keeps trash out the landfill and helps us keep from buying so many organizing containers.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Feb 2 2012 10:57 AM

Thanks for the tip ,thi is really a great idea, Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Thu, Feb 2 2012 11:00 AM

jgipson

These are all great ideas.   I have used my empty pill bottles to put broken and bent needle in for disposal for a long time now.    It is great to be able to reuse things.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Thu, Feb 2 2012 11:01 AM

I have more spice bottles than prescription bottles, I'm sure that will change over time, so that is what I use. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,814
gini replied on Thu, Feb 2 2012 11:25 AM

hmm, i take my prescription bottle with me for refills, i assumed they were refilling the same bottle

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 270

great tip thanks for sharing

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,987
Points 64,325
Robin replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 5:41 AM

jpison,

Great tip!

Robin

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,496
Points 30,450
Diana replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 6:06 AM

I have been using this idea for years.  5 filled bobbins fit perfectly in one size.  Broken and used needles in another.  I have a small link chain that I use to make markings on fabric for circles in another.  It's great to look in my sewing machine cabinet drawers and not find a tangled mess of whatever is in there.  It's one of the greatest ideas for anyone with most any kind of craft.  I love to reuse items so they don't end up in the landfill.  I've even given them away to folks who don't have the pill bottles available.

Thanks from another recycler...Diana in East tn.

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,240
diane replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 6:40 AM

Another great container for small items is an empty Tic_tac box.  Since the boxes are flat-sided and have secure closures I put beads in them and then stack them clear side out on the shelf.  I can see the bead colors (or small button colors, etc.) without disturbing the stack.  Of course the next color I need is always mid-way down the stack or lower.

Chews Landing, NJ

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 9:47 AM

gini:
hmm, i take my prescription bottle with me for refills

I never thought of doing that!  You're so smart!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use