Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B Posted: Wed, Feb 1 2012 6:48 PM

I have been quilting for several years now, but have conveniently avoided blocking my quilts.  Instead, I square them up as best I can, apply the binding and call it good.  I finally decided with my current quilt project that come h... or high water, I was going to block this sucker.  I printed out an instruction sheet from Leah Day's website on blocking and now have it pinned out and drying with fans for circulation.

My big question to all of you is:  Do you block your quilts?  Or, is this about like the pre-wash fabric  question, ie: some do and some don't.

Winthrop, WA

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 170
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,179
Points 15,750
Susan replied on Wed, Feb 1 2012 6:53 PM

Donna, I do not block my quilts, but like you, I square it up and bind it.  I,m interested to see what everyone else does too.                       Susan

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,383
Points 115,335

Blocking quilts? Well now, this is a new one to me. I'm going to be interested in what everyone has to say. I do square up the quilt as much as possible before putting on binding but I don't imagine this is what it means to block?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Wed, Feb 1 2012 7:09 PM

I am completely lost Donna.  I have never heard of Blocking quilts.  I will research that to see what it is.  Very interesting.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Feb 1 2012 7:10 PM

I know Marge P blocks her quilts, so let's see what she says.  It is a bit of work to wet down the quilt and then pin the sucker out, squaring up as you go.  I used foam board on two banquet tables as my knees don't like getting down on the floor anymore.  I know Marge is not a floor person either, so wonder how she manages.

Winthrop, WA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 464
Points 9,065
Pat A replied on Wed, Feb 1 2012 7:11 PM

New one on me.  I had been inclined to answer yes meaning that I squared up the quilt before binding but I have never heard of blocking a quilt like maybe a knitted sweater.  Does anybody do this?

Pat A. in KY.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,225
Points 27,610
Agnes replied on Wed, Feb 1 2012 7:25 PM

I have now quilted officially for almost 20 years and I have never blocked a quilt.  I square blocks, measure a lot before and during adding borders, square again if need be before the final binding. I used to block frilly crocheted doilies because there wasn't an option.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Feb 1 2012 7:39 PM

Maybe I should clarify a bit more...

The blocking is done after FMQ because the FM stitches can distort the shape of the overall quilt.  My understanding is this is why blocking is recommended, ie to bring the quilt back into square before adding the binding. 

Here is a quote from Leah Day of www.Daystyledesigns.com:

Blocking your quilt may seem like a real chore, but if you're wanting your quilt to hang nicely, it's the one extra step that really makes all the difference. Densely quilted quilts, especially those with trapunto tend to hang wobbly. Blocking is the only way to ensure your quilt hangs straight and true.

From the initial responses it looks like most do not do this but it will be interesting to see what others say...

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,696
Points 436,330
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 1 2012 8:14 PM

Donna

I have never blocked a quilt and doubt seriously that I will start now...LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Feb 1 2012 8:44 PM

I can see from your description why blocking might be good.  If I have a very special quilt I want to be just perfect that is going to be entered in some competition, I might think about it.  But I may never get to that stage. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Feb 1 2012 8:46 PM

Marge P's quilts, by the way, do hang very nice.  No wavy edges on hers, and she has had a lot winning grand champions at the county fair.  I always love her quilts.  I think she had one for the year 2000 that had 2000 different fabrics in it. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,355
Points 31,965

I'm with Arzella on this one.  I've never even heard of blocking a quilt.  I wonder if it is done more for wallhangings and competition quilts?

I'll be watching for more informed quilters to share how and when a quilt should be blocked.

Max

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 365
Points 6,820

It never even occurred to me to block a quilt; in fact, this is the first I have heard of anyone doing it.  I've occasionally blocked a crocheted item (VERY occasionally) but never a quilt.  I can also guarantee that I never will!  It's a big enough pain to pin the sandwich together to quilt it. There's no way I am blocking it.  

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,095
Joy replied on Wed, Feb 1 2012 10:35 PM

Ok...I've never heard of blocking a quilt before so I looked up how to do it and I must say Blocking is something I will never attempt! It looks like way too much work! Usually by the time I'm done quilting a quilt, I'm ready to be done with that quilt and on to the next! LOL!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,773
Points 247,869
Barbara replied on Wed, Feb 1 2012 11:13 PM

I have heard of blocking quilts but like the rest of you I just try to square them up the best I can and go with it,  I'm to darn lazy to do all that blocking ,LOL  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use