Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 32
Points 555
Patty Posted: Wed, Feb 1 2012 12:40 AM

I have a magnetic pin bowl, but as I travel from cutting mat, to ironing board, to sewing machine...it sometimes fails to make the trip!  I have taken a small square magnet from my refrigerator (I got these at the post office) and turn them so the magnetic side is up and have one at the sewing machine, ironing board etc to hold a few loose pins as I sew or iron or cut  and don't have to worry about not carrying the main bowl around.

Patty

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Wed, Feb 1 2012 1:10 AM

good idea, thanks patty

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Feb 1 2012 9:00 AM

Thanks Patty, great idea!  Going to try it!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Wed, Feb 1 2012 9:43 AM

The Quilt Daddy:

Patty,

I spill my pins asbout once a day it seems and when I had my LQS I bought a magnet on a stick at Home Depot ($10) and keep it handy for when I drop the pins. Works wonders too and there is also a telescoping magnet available at auto parts stores that works well too.

I love that "magnet on a stick" - which DOES sell at sewing places for $10 - but I got mine for $5 at Restoration Hardware!  :D  It is great for grabbing metal things that fall behind desks, such as my keys when I am at work (it happened once!) then I didn't have to move my desk.  I love it!  I sweep it across the floor where my machine is, and push it behind the stuff under the sewing cabinet (like books and things) and it grabs those little pins that are almost embedded in the carpet that I can't see. It is powerful!  :D

I also use those little flat "advertising" magnets that are glued on our telephone books for whatever plumbing master wants to get your attention.  I put those around the edge of the sewing table to grab the pins that are waltzing away from the vibration of my machine and want to jump of the edge.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 1 2012 11:32 AM

I love my telescoping magnet too.  It comes in so handy and I don't have to get down in the floor to try and pick up all the pins I manage to loose in a days time....LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Great tip Patty, thanks for sharing.

I bought a metal magnet bowel from the Auto Parts store, it is way stronger that most of the pin magnets. Then I had to go back and get another one because DH wanted to know why I did not get him one LOL

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Wed, Feb 1 2012 11:26 PM

Spud ,that is so funny, I can just imagine the look on your face when DH said that ,Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Thu, Feb 2 2012 2:10 AM

well, geez, now i have magnetic, telescoping stick envy.   and magnetic bowl envy.  guess i'm going shopping

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Thu, Feb 2 2012 10:06 AM

I love the magnet bowls, I can't imagine why anyone would store pins in a box without a magnet.  great to "wave" over the floor when you drop one or two and it picks them right up.  I have laminate in my sewing room but from time to time I lay out a quilt or drapes in the family room on the carpet and I have to keep a closer eye on what I am doing.

Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 465

I have one of those telescoping ones - marvelous!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use