rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
215 Posts
Points 5,485
Renee posted on Mon, Jan 30 2012 5:02 AM

Ladies,

I am in search of Egyptian theme fabric and I am having a difficult time finding it. A friend of mine has an event planning business she is starting and it is called Nefertiti Events. I am trying to make her various things such as the fabric postcard/business cards, a quilt wall hanging, etc.

I have tried the following places online so far with no luck

Mary Jo's, Quiltshops.com, Quilters auction

Findmyfabric.com,FabshopHop.com

If anyone has any suggestions or anything in their stash they might be willing to part with, please let me know.

Thanks

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
18 Posts
Points 580
Dee replied on Mon, Jan 30 2012 5:18 AM

Hi Renee,

Try equilter.com or Hancocks of Paducah online.  There is a fabric line called Valley of the Kings by Robert Kaufman that might fit your need.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,801 Posts
Points 420,789
gini replied on Mon, Jan 30 2012 10:16 AM

http://www.jandofabrics.com/newsletters/discount-quilting-fabric-by-timeless-treasures-fabric/   scroll down, they have several

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
215 Posts
Points 5,485
Renee replied on Mon, Jan 30 2012 6:14 PM

Thanks Dee,  I have seen the Kaufman line and Like some of the prints for accent.  What I am looking for is Prints that have Egyptian Kings and Queens as a focal fabric.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
215 Posts
Points 5,485
Renee replied on Mon, Jan 30 2012 6:30 PM

Thanks Gini. I checked them out and  those prints don't appear to be available any longer. When I click on the link it takes me to the novelty page and I could only locate one print.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
365 Posts
Points 6,820

Found this at equilter.com - don't know if it's useful to you...

http://equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=114722&sid=93LKiA2xj0RL3-P-41112530492.33

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,771 Posts
Points 65,968
Jeanine replied on Mon, Jan 30 2012 10:18 PM

I just have to post pictures of a quilt I made for my niece.  You just don't hear talk about egyptian fabric too often.  She has a degree in Egyptology (didn't know there was such a thing but there is.)  I wanted to make her a quilt to take to college with her so I went in search of Egyptian fabric.  This was probably at least 4-5 years ago.

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Female
8 Posts
Points 55
Angela replied on Mon, Jan 30 2012 10:28 PM

Love the quilt, very good.

Angela

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,876 Posts
Points 141,985

Jeanne. Oh WOW!  Your Egyptian theme quilt is beautiful. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,403 Posts
Points 119,661
Patti replied on Mon, Jan 30 2012 11:44 PM

check out equilter.com  African import, Egyptian Pharaoh busts, and valley of the kings, for Egyptian designs. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 500 Contributor
Female
215 Posts
Points 5,485
Renee replied on Tue, Jan 31 2012 4:50 AM

Jeanine,

The quilt is beautiful.  I have seen the camel and the payrus patterns in my search.  I have seen what I want but as always, it is an OOP and very rare.   It is called Egpytian Legends.  I have seen one person selling 12  6" squares for $16.00 + shipping.

I may either have to break down and purchase or find some embroidery designs and machine embroider the motifs I want.

In the meanwhile, I will keep searching.

Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,801 Posts
Points 420,789
gini replied on Tue, Jan 31 2012 3:29 PM

Renee, I went to google images, the first image was an Egyptian quilt made by Ann champion and you can see it on her blog.  I don't know howtocopy and paste on this iPad yet or I would have supplied the link.   My composted died this morning, nowiwillbeforcedtolearnhowtowork this gadget.   Darn,  messed up that 

Last sentence.

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 35

If you are interested in buying a whole bolt of fabric, you might want to try www.africaimports.com as a potential source.  The cost of a 12-yard bolt is $33.95 plus shipping.  If you do not think you will use that much fabric, you may be able to find someone willing to split the cost and share the fabric.

Although most of the fabric at this site is African-themed, there are 3 lines which are distinctly Egyptian-themed.  Search "Ankh" to find 2 color ways of a fabric featuring large ankhs.  Search "Pharaohs" to find a black fabric with King Tut heads on it.  Search "Hieroglyphics" to find 2 color ways of a fabric with large hieroglyphics.  I have pieces of all of these fabrics which I purchased on eBay, before I found the website. 

The 5 styles at the website are some of the only ones currently available at a reasonable price.  Valley of the Kings is the other line that is fairly recent; and the prices have already gone way up on that collection.  The last line before VofK was Blank Quilting's Luxor line, and that was a couple of years ago.  

I have been collecting Egyptian fabric since 1993, and it is very difficult to find.  Various pieces show up on eBay, but they sell for a premium price. Once in a while you can get lucky and grab something before other bidders know it is there. 

Good luck in your search!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,446 Posts
Points 127,674

Jeanine, your nieces quilt is beautiful.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 500 Contributor
Female
215 Posts
Points 5,485
Renee replied on Sat, Feb 11 2012 8:02 AM

Hello Mojavebb

Thank you for the information.  I did come across that website in my search. 

I have been able to find some pieces by asking member of various other groups such as sew it for sale and quilt market place.

I am currently just trying out different promotional gifts for my friend who is starting her own business.  Right now I have the idea of experimenting with fabric business cards and pyramid shape gift boxes.

Thanks again for your guidance, I will continue my search as now I know I am not the only one having a hard time finding this rare medium of fabric.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.