Top 10 Posters

Iris Ultra Cotton Quilting Thread--Any experience with this?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 58
Points 2,110
Steph Posted: Sun, Jan 29 2012 12:34 PM

Hi everyone.  I got a lightweight Janome for Christmas to use for classes, etc., and was "given" a box of twelve colors of Iris Ultra Cotton Quilting Thread.  50 wt. LSE.  I've never experienced thjis brand before (use Aurafil or YLI mostly).  Is this a quality thread?  It feels a bit thicker than the same weight in the other two brands.  Is it mostly used for actual quilting, or is it good for piecing as well?  I have 12 spools of 500 yards each and hate to toss it if it's good thread; just don't quite know what to do with it.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Since you already have it, if it were me, I would just give it a try on a practice piece and see what you think.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,218
Points 16,395
Susan replied on Sun, Jan 29 2012 1:27 PM

Steph, Its probably a cotton like connecting threads essentials . I would use it for piecing but like Spud said try it out first. Dont toss it someone will use it .                           Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,060
Nana replied on Sun, Jan 29 2012 2:36 PM

Steph

I haven't used this particular brand but I would definitely try it out.   Hope it is a good thread for you.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,954
Points 368,352
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 30 2012 1:10 AM

Steph,

it might be thicker than the other threads because it's 3 ply not 2 ply.

One person on the Sew Mama Sew blog said it works really well in her Janome.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 22
Points 470
Judy replied on Mon, Jan 30 2012 10:34 AM

Your thread will probably work well with your machine.  It would not be smart for Janome to give you a thread that does not work well; that can make their machine look bad.  So, I would trust that they don't want to have people hate their machine because of the "free" thread they threw in.  As a general rule, the 3 ply looks great as a top stitch... just don't take your stitch length down too small.  I have a New Home (the old version of Janome) and have had it 30 years.  It is a work horse and has never let me down.  i liked it so much I got a Janome 1600 as my midarm quilting machine to put on a rack.  Again I love it.  have fun... and let us know if you would recommend the thread.  There are some threads out there that are not as well known, less expensive, and look wonderful in certain applications.  It is always great to learn about a new one.  Judy from Maine

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 58
Points 2,110
Steph replied on Mon, Jan 30 2012 11:15 AM

That makes sense.  I hadn't paid attention, my usual threads have a 2 on the spool; the Iris doesn't.  So that explains it!  I'll give it a try.  The colors are nice, and will be a help in color matching for machine applique.  Thanks!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Okay, not sure what happened to the previous post but it came out all messed up.

Steph, just hang in there and give it a try and don't be so hard on yourself. I tend to be very hard on myself (I think we all do) but I'm working on accepting what I do and just try to make it better each time.

Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 405
bec02 replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 10:36 PM

I have a janome 6600 and I love the Iris Ultra thread.  It is 3 ply but isn't too thick,  has a nice smooth texture and has less lint than some threads.  It is good thread and if I'm not mistaken it is a janome partner product.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,060
Nana replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 10:51 PM

How does the Iris Ultra compare with Aurifil?  I have tried Guttermen and really don't like it.  My machine doesn't always like Gutterman and there is lots of lint.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 405
bec02 replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 12:31 PM

Aurifil is finer than Iris Ultra even though they say it is the same weight, but it is also weaker (guess it's because it is 2-ply vs. 3-ply).   I've used Aurifil for FMQ, but I don't use it for piecing. Just my preference.  I agree that Gutterman is very linty.  I tried it once and will not use it again.  I do like Mettler silk finish cotton thread.  Not sure if I like it as much as Iris, but it's what my local quilt store carries.  The only place that I can find Iris is at my sewing machine dealer's and it is way out of my way and they were only "trying it" at the time and only had a few neutral colors.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use