Top 10 Posters

Why am I always nervous about the quilting part?

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 1,235
Lori Posted: Fri, Jan 27 2012 10:07 AM

I currently have a finished top, already to quilt.  This is the part that frightens me.  I could easily screw up my beautiful top.  Most of my quilts wind up being just meandered, becasue I am to chicken to do anything else. 

I spend time at work, in meetings, doodling my quilting patterns, but when I sit down to do it, I chicken out and go back to the same old thing.

Any ideas on something simple and different?  My current top is pastel batiks.  I used half hexagons to make "Braids".  The background is white.  I know the colors will be forgiving, I just can't seem to get started and I don;t want it to be the same old meandering.....

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 470
Points 5,905
Isabella replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 10:17 AM

Lori,

I might not be the best person to answer you (I am still at the beginning of my quilting "career") but I have the same fear you have about quilting.

I did quilt one top and I tried the Stitch in the ditch. It's easy and very forgiving. But I have to tell you that, after I did that quilt, I have started to take my tops to the LQS and have them quilted professionally.

Isabella

Isabella

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,117
Points 411,044
gini replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 11:01 AM

http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/p/start-here.html

leah day has started her new series for the year. it is free.  i think it is called the free motion project.   every week she will have a video and new tips on how to make your FM easier.   i have been following a long every week, using small quilts, i've been putting off quilting or scraps to practice.   she does a great job of walking you through the process.  i think this is the fourth week. 

the best advice i have is just go for it,   the more quilts you make, the better you will get.   i still get nervous when i'm starting a new design, so i default a lot to stipple.  it is easy and looks good.   other designs might look a lot better, but done is good, too.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

I have the same fear Lori.  I'm currently making quilts for the grandkids and I want them to be special, but I also need them to be done so I'm doing a meander on them.  When I get them all done I may make up a l large practice sandwich and do some different patterns.  Like gini said done is good.  Sometimes you just have to dive in and do it. 

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

Thanks for the link gini

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,645

Lori:
I just can't seem to get started and I don;t want it to be the same old meandering.....

Lori, I know exactly what you mean. I meander also and keep thinking I want to do a real design on the entire quilt. It hasn't happened yet. But I did manage to enlarge on the meandering by adding leaves and swirls as I go. That helps with the boredom and I feel like I'm being a bit more artistic. I am afraid I'm not very consistent but, Oh Well. As Gini says, done is good. Here's a photo of the back of the quilt I'm currently quilting. I meander using leaves, swirls and squiggles as I please. I tried to enhance the contrast so the stitches show up.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,043
Points 169,873
Marie replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 1:15 PM

Wow Judy, I'd love to be able to meander like that, looks great!

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,645

Marie:
Wow Judy, I'd love to be able to meander like that, looks great!

Thanks Marie but my meandering is kind of like conducting the orchestra. I swirl my arms and twitch my hands and out comes a leaf/heart or a jagged swirl and some of them are kind of, well, like the clash of the symbols...shocking! But it's fun and helps take out the tedium out of machine quilting (almost). Wouldn't fly in a quilting competition but who really cares.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

Great job Judy. I never could get the hang of FMQ, I did SID on my crib quilts and then bought my frame LOL As for a quilting competition, I would never enter one so I agree, who cares!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,117
Points 411,044
gini replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 2:44 PM

judy, it looks good to me.   when i go back and look at quilts i wasn't happy with, they look better.  sometimes they look a lot better than i remembered. i think when we get too close to them and have spent too much time with them, we are too judgemental

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,826
Points 352,602
Kris replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 9:00 AM

Judy,

your quilting looks great.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,826
Points 352,602
Kris replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 9:01 AM

Lori,

I think we all feel some trepidation about quilting a quilt no mater how experienced. Just go for it. Finished is definitely better than perfect. Practice on smaller pieces when you want to try new designs.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,385
Points 119,276
Patti replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 2:12 PM

I think the best advice is just to have fun with it.  It finally became fun as I was quilting my signature quilt.  Meanders and loops turned into occasional hearts, then little objects if they went with the psalms that were printed on some of the fabric, like moon, sun, stars, candle, trees.  But it is DONE!  And I have much more confidence now and looking forward to some more quilting.  I never thought I would say that. 

One of the reasons I was nervous before was that my machine was giving me lots of problems.  The dealer,  decided I had a lemon, and gave me a brand now one to replace it.  I am so happy with how it works.  I can count on it to do what it is supposed to, and I don't have to stop until I need to switch a bobbin.  So much better than having the thread break every 5-10 minutes, or the tension going bad.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 580
Dee replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 2:32 PM

Gini,

I totally agree, I noticed that with some of my fabric choices as well as the quilting.  After the top is done and I stand back and look at it with some distance, it really does look good.  Sometimes it takes time away from a project to appreciate it.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 930
Points 15,565
Marge P replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 2:39 PM

Lori -

You certainly are not alone on this topic.  I have been working on two of the 1600 Jelly Roll quilts and I made them mostly to use the fabric quickly and to practice the quilting.  I have a great set up so no problem there but I am the problem.  Used a Pantograph (the designer would probably not recognize it as her work LOL) and got two runs done - it only took me two days to get the first one done but I had every excuse in the world to not work on it.  It is a simple pattern but my circles are not exactly round should we say?

Yesterday I decided to work on the second one and was a bit surprised that it was going a bit easier.  So perhaps my brain had finally gotten that pattern established in its little memory bank - circles are still not perfect every time but it felt a bit easier.  When I turned the sewing room lights off last night, the quilt was quilted.  So now if I will just get back in there and put something else on the frame and keep the practicing going, perhaps I will be happier.

Practice, Practice, Practice is what we have to do and just relax and try and go with the flow.  Meandering is very pretty on most quilts so don't beat yourself up if you do a lot of it.  I agree with Gini - Done is Good!

Judy - your quilting looks great.

MargeP

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use