Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy Posted: Wed, Jan 25 2012 12:05 AM

On Feb. 1, DH and I are heading south on I-35 from Minneapolis, MN to San Antonio, TX.  We will stretch the drive out over 3 days, 2 nights exploring sites on the way, and then spend a week based from a small resort in the TX hill country and make day trips from there exploring Austin, San Antonio, and small towns and parks throughout that region.  Our great loves on trips like this are hiking, eating unique foods, and tasting regional wines.  We'll visit a dear old family friend in San Antonio, and I'll show Randy the Riverwalk and the Alamo.  It will probably be too early in the year to catch the wildflowers on the LBJ ranch. We plan to return home by Feb. 12.

Anyway, for those of you living near I-35, what quilt shops should I be sure to stop at to break up this long drive? Can you recommend any unique places to eat?  What sites should we not miss?

Keeping my fingers crossed for good weather...

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,604

Nancy, I hope you have wonderful weather and a great time!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,441
Points 361,672
Kris replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 12:41 AM

Nancy,

sorry I' don't have any recommendations but I do want to wish you both a safe and wonderful trip. I pray mother nature is in your favour.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 1:08 AM

Nancy

Can't help you with recommendations.  But have a great trip.  Wishing you good weather and safe travels.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 278
Points 5,200
kim replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 8:28 AM

Nancy - I don't have any recomendations either, but I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 9:07 AM

Me either, but have a safe and marvelous time

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Nancy--

Sounds like a great trip.  Have a blast!

Kissimmee, FL

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,114
Points 14,370
Dawn replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 9:32 AM

Fons and Porters Quilt shop is in Winterset, IA.  That is off I-35 . . . not sure how far, but doesn't look that far, maybe 30 miles? 

Have a safe and fun trip!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 10:05 AM

Definitely, Winterset, IA!  I don't think it is even 30 miles.

Quilters' Haven

116 N Clairborne Rd # A, Olathe, KS 66062

(913) 764-8600

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 10:22 AM

Nancy wave at me when you go by Liberty , the best one I can think of is in Jamestown ,that is the Amish shop but I have no idea how to get there , You would have to check the map . There is another good on in Cameron not to far off 35  it is real close to the Walmart  about a half mile west of 35. I think you go to the first light and exit  to the right and when you see the Walmart there is a little stripmall  and the shop is right in there . I know there  are some nice one south once you get into Kansas but I was on a bus tour and don't remember how to get to them There are some really nice ones in OK and Texas . Hope you all have a great time .I really like San Antonio,the river walk is so neat .. We didnt's stop a the LBJ ranch  drove thru the town , Had a great trip in Texas .. so much to see ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 10:26 AM

Nancy , I was having a senior moment ,When You get to Kerney ,home of Jessie James .there is a great quitl shop there called  And Sew Bee It ,in the old downtown section .It is a really cute shop .You will more then likely see some of the billboards as you come down 35  in Missouri . It is a lovely little shop .. Barbara 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Nancy - do you have a Quilters Travel Companion book?  There are a bunch of shops shown in there along I35 through Iowa, a couple in MO, a bunch in Kansas, a few in Okla., and bunches and bunches in Texas.  If you don't have the Companion, it may be worth your while to pick one up at LQS since you and Randy plan to travel now that you are retired. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 11:38 AM

Jeanine and Barbara - thanks for the quilt shop recommendations!  I don't know if Randy would have the patience (or if I have the pocketbook) to hit all the stores in the quilter's travel book, so I appreciate recommendations of shops that others have actually been to that they have especially liked.  I noted the Fons and Porter store, but having been there just last fall during the IA retreat, I'll pass that one by this time. 

I did also find the discussion thread from last year when Gini was planning a road trip to Texas [ http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/forums/t/4159.aspx?PageIndex=1 ], and found some good listings for our time down there.  I remember that when she got back, Gini recommended taking in a show in Austin, too, which sounds like fun.

Still hoping to hear about eating establishments you all like, too.  I'm going to check out Food Network "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives" web site, as well as public radio "Road Food with Jane and Michael Stern."

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 11:40 AM

Marge, as far as purchasing the Quilter's Travel Companion, I've always been concerned that as soon as I would buy something like that, it would be out of date.  I know many small quilt shops that have suddenly gone out of business due to the economy, and I know of other small shops that can't afford to buy a listing in those kinds of books.  Have you had pretty good luck with it?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 11:44 AM

Nancy

I have the travel companion and really like it.   I also like to pick up a copy of the Country Register at our quilt shop.  It has adds from lots of different quilt shops and shows where they are.   I think there is even a way to get copys from other states.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use