Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 1,080
SpiceGlider Posted: Fri, Nov 20 2009 3:16 PM

Hello All,

I made a stepping stones quilt recently.  When I turned it right-side out, the inside corners were puckered and bunched.  Someone suggested I "feather" the corners next time.  But, I'm not sure how to do this.

I can't find any references to this technique on the web. 

Can anyone help with a website or an explanation? 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Karen...

More later,

Huntsville, AL

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,933
Points 233,972
Thea replied on Fri, Nov 20 2009 3:20 PM

Okay - I am lost - stepping stones?  turn right side out - did you sandwich rightsides inside and sew around the outside - leave and opening and turn right side out... if you did this - you cliip the corners and use a wooden pointy thing in the corners to make them sharp...

I hope someone else can help you as i do not understand and will be interested to see the responses...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,933
Points 233,972
Thea replied on Fri, Nov 20 2009 3:27 PM

Stepping Stones I found these 2 pictures of stepping stones - one is a quilt the other a block - maybe this will help you tell me what you are asking about...

and then I found one that Marti michel did...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,933
Points 233,972
Thea replied on Fri, Nov 20 2009 3:29 PM

BTW welcome to QCA... forgot to say that!

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 1,080

It looks like this:  http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/images/img_oct-09-colg_ss16.jpg  

Sandwich with right sides together, sew around the edges leaving an opening, and turn right-side out.  

It's the inside corners I've had trouble with.  The outside corners seem to work pretty well.  But the parts of the squares that are on the outside don't lay flat, they tilt forward a bit.  

Hope that helps.  And, thanks for the interest.

Karen...

More later,

Huntsville, AL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,933
Points 233,972
Thea replied on Fri, Nov 20 2009 3:50 PM

Okay - for inner corners - you have to clip in the corner all the way but not clipping thread - then you gradiate the seam as you go out - sometimes it helps before you turn it to press the seams open as much as you can and clip the seams about 1/4" a part... you have to have patience and really work these seams - you do a little - press - do a little more - it takes a lot of time to do inside corners but they do end up laying the way you want them too... you need to be able to get inside though and work inside and outside at the same time -

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 1,080

So, instead of sewing all the way around and then turning, could I sew a corner, flip it to check the fit, clip, and flip again and check again?  

More later,

Huntsville, AL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 20 2009 4:30 PM

Can't help much beyond what Althea said.  But yes you can turn it rightside out to check your corners before you continue sewing. Welcome to the site and hope to hear more from you. Good luck on your quilt.

BTW Althea the picture of the wallhanging is awesome.  Where did you find it?

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 1,080

Nana,

That's the picture from the magazine of the quilt that I've made.  Follow the link in the post just before the picture.

More later,

Huntsville, AL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 20 2009 4:35 PM

Thanks spiceglider.  It is an awesome wallhanging.

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,933
Points 233,972
Thea replied on Fri, Nov 20 2009 5:12 PM

I brought the picture in so people could see what you were asking - I think I would do the whole thing and then reach in to work each corner - it takes lots of patience to do inside corners like this - I might have made the quilt the normal way and did a binding for the corners - they are tricky too though so is 6 of one and 1/2 doz of another... but yes you could stitch and turn... but not sure how that would work...

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Karen, when you make clothes and there are corners, you cut the ends diagonally across end and then turn them right-side-out and use something like a bone folder that has a narrow end but it rounded to poke out corner. You don't want to use something really sharp like the seam ripper because you can poke the end through corner. You might also have to trim the seams by graduating the widths. I would think the diagonal cut would work, though. One other thing you can do for any future squares like this: when you get to the corner, turn the piece and take 1 or 2 stitches across the corner at a diagonal and then stitch the next side. Your diagonal cut will then parallel the corner stitches.

Gillette, WY

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 9:20 PM

Thanks for posting this question, Karen.  I'm reading the advice you receive with great interest.  I, too, fell in love with this pattern when I saw it in the October issue of American Patchwork & Quilting at the public library.  I liked it so much, I then subscribed to the magazine.  Haven't really studied the directions yet and assumed, as Thea suggested, that the binding went on in a traditional manner.  Please post a picture of yours when you're done.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 1,080

Hi everyone,

This is my version of Stepping Stones from the October issue.  I didn't realize how out of line and off kilter it is until I took the pictures of it. 

I'm working on another one where the blocks are all the same.  Two more blocks to go.  I hope it turns out a bit better than this one.

More later,

Karen...

More later,

Huntsville, AL

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 11:52 PM

Karen, I think that turned out really well! I liked it when I saw it int APQ, too!

Gillette, WY

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use