Page 2 of 6 (85 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 84 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 1:28 PM

I am a self taught quilter.  The only guidance I had was watching Simply Quilts with Alex Anderson.  After watching several episodes I decided that I could do this.   Went and got a book of patterns and some fabric and the rest is history.  I have never looked back.   Now I do some form of quilting everyday.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 1,355

I found out what blouse weight is.  It's the lowest of the four weights of fabric - blouse, bottom, light upholstery, heavy upholstery.  This is the weight that is generally used for quilting.  And within this are different thread counts. I asked the one particular site that has the "blouse weight" what the thread count of their fabric is and they said 60.  I am very disappointed as I understand quilts should be made on nothing less than 65.  This site had a great selection of depression era that I couldn't find anywhere else.  Oh well . . . . . I still have lots of fabrics to chose from.  I've picked out just over 100 from 6 different sites and am trying to whittle that down to about 20.

Ellie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 9:31 PM

hi ellie, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sun, Jan 22 2012 12:08 AM

Welcome Ellie

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 31
Points 680

I've been quilting for about a year now.  I've taken a couple of classes, watched some videos, and did some experimentation on my own.  I already knew basic sewing because of my Grandmother's instructions as a kid so it was just a matter of learning a few other techniques and I was off.

I buy fabric from local stores like Joannes and Hancocks and on-line and have yet to be disappointed.  I probably stick mostly to Fabric.com and Counting Threads with some Fat Quarter Shops thrown in from time to time.  What is interesting is when you are looking for a particular fabric line that is no longer being produced.  You can end up in some new territory but even there I have always received great help and customer service.

Well good luck with your quilting project.

Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 1,355

Thank you for all your wonderful responses.  I feel much better knowing that on-line fabric buying seems to be pretty safe.  There are so many fabic choices out there.  I can't imagine ever running out of ideas.  Just looking at them I already have plans for my next two or three quilts.  I will post pictures when I finish, can't wait!

Ellie

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 31
Points 675
Helen replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 1:39 AM

Hi Ellie

I live in New Zealand and I buy fabric (plus notions, batts and other bits and pieces) from the following four sites: Common Threads Quilting (in Texas), Quilters Fancy (in Ohio), Hancocks of Paducah and Keepsake Quilting.  I have never been disappointed with the quality of the fabric. However you are correct, sometimes the colours are not quite the same as what you see on the screen HOWEVER, no peice of fabric goes to waste because it can always be used in a future project :)

Renee of Quilters Fancy gave me fantatsic service a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to make a quilt out of Morris Meadows by Michele Hill and I had the pattern and Quilters Fancy had the fabric. I emailed the pattern to her and asked her to put together two colour palettes, she photographed them and emailed them back. I then phoned her and we discussed the two options, I chose and she then sent me a quote. Renee then WALKED TO THE FABRIC STORE ACROSS THE ROAD to select some coordinating reasonably priced backing fabric, took pictures, sent them to me and I chose the backing. She purchased the fabrics with my credit card and packaged them all up and posted them to me. In the package she included some other sample fabrics, a free pattern and even labelled the fabrics where they were to go in the quilt just in case I had forgotten what we discussed. I got the package yesterday.

Renee is a superstar. I went shopping by internet and phone in Ohio at Quilters Fancy.

Then I found another quilt I wanted to make but the kit was a little expensive so I googled and found the pattern for free and then I saw that Common Threads had the fabric. So I called Laura and she googled the pattern for the requirements, checked the store that they had the fabrics, emailed me a quote, I called and said yes, asked her opinion on which backing, the toile or the floral and I took her advice of the floral because she would never put me wrong and the fabric is now stored waiting to send to me in march with my next BOM instalments in March. They send me two - three at a time to save postage. Laura aved me $40 US and $200 NZ.

Laura is also a superstar. I went shopiing on the net and by phone in a quilt store in Texas.

This kind of customer service is outstanding and I cannot recommend these stores enough. Hancocks and Keepsake are excellent too. All my parcels have arrived safely to NZ too. Please support these stores, they have great product and great service. They are run by people who love quilting so they really care.

There are lots of quilt stores in NZ who also give great service - Grandmothers Garden, Nancys and Thimbles and Threads. I have purchased excellent fabric from them as well. But they are a bit more expensive than the US.

HM 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 2:18 AM

Helen

That is quite a recommendation.  Thanks for letting us know about the service at these quilt shops.  It is always nice to deal with people that really care about their customers.  Not sure if I have spoken with you before so I want to welcome you to the site.  It is so nice to hear from other quilters in other countries.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 31
Points 675
Helen replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 2:28 AM

Hi Nana

Yes you did welcome me. I have been on this site since August I think.

I just can't rave enough about the service these two stores provide. Their websites are lovely and easy to use and Common Threads has a real cool blog.

Do check them out.

Helen

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,127
Points 28,535
Wendy replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 7:54 AM

LearningDayByDay:
I found out what blouse weight is.  It's the lowest of the four weights of fabric - blouse, bottom, light upholstery, heavy upholstery

Hi ellie, and welcome.

I am a seamstress who started to  quilt 16 years ago. The  four weight classifications you are talking about have more to do with types of fabric than what you are looking for in Quilting. When Quilting, you want to stick to 100 % cotton.  This does fall under the blouse weight classification.  You will be hard pressed to find any blouse weight cotton with a count of 65 treads without paying an arm and a leg for it.   Most of Joann's quilting fabric is a 45 to 50 count. This will tend to not last as long as time goes by.  They are getting better quality in, but it is limited.  If you are making a quilt that you want to last for a very long time, I would buy from an on line shop that carries reputable brand names. All of the following manufactures such as MODA, Kaufman, Maywood, Lakehouse...(There are too many to list.)  Have a thread cout of 60. So if you want to buy from the shop that you found the prints you like, you should be just fine.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,542
Points 51,250
Ginny replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 9:49 AM

Wow Helen, I am impressed with the great service you have experienced with these quilt shops....Ginny

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 1,355

Helen -

Wow! that sounds like a great shop that really knows the meaning of customer service.

Ellie

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 1,355

Wendy -

Thank you so much for the info, it is very helpful.  i feel much better knowing that 60 count is okay to use.  I haven't even started my quilt but from all my web browsing names are starting to look familiar to me, MODA, Kaufman, etc.

Thanks, Ellie

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,208
Points 16,210
Susan replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 6:21 PM

Wendy, Thanks for all the info on fabric , I did not know any of this and am so glad you posted it. Now I understand more of the whys of fabric quality .    Good to know, when you have never been a sewer or quilter in the past.   I was overwhelmed when i first stared quilting almost 2 years ago but you wonderful people have educated me. Susan

Page 2 of 6 (85 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use