BINDINGS OR LACK OF

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,488 Posts
Points 47,820
Frances posted on Thu, Jan 19 2012 11:04 PM

Hi Everyone next question, how do you do your bindings is there an easy way it looks complicated to me but im sure it must be easier than i think otherwise more companies would sell ready made bindings the last quilt i cheated and sent for Lollipops bindings from America, but i have noticed they do not sell that many now. Any help gratefully appreciated (believe me i need all the help i can get)

Frances

England

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,362 Posts
Points 415,009
gini replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 11:10 PM

bindings are easy.  i cut them 2 1/2 inches, as many lengths as i need and sew them into one long binding. . i fold them in half and iron that fold all the way down the length.  i sew this down with the two raw edges even with the edge of the quilt, and i sew this on the right side of the quilt. i will find a video to show you how to do the corners,  they are easy, .   there is also an  easy technique to join the ends, i'll try to locate that too.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

I make mine. I have a Fons and Porter book that has directions, I don't cut on the bias its a straight cut binding.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,488 Posts
Points 47,820
Frances replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 11:17 PM

Bless you i thought they had to be cut on the bias i had the feeling i was in my maths class at school when i was 10 and failing miserably.

Best thing i have ever done is join the rest of you on the forums.

Love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

You would probably have to cut on the bias if you are doing a scalloped edge, but my edges are always straight. Hope that helps.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,362 Posts
Points 415,009
gini replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 11:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZR6ls_IsIo

this is almost exactly how i do binding.   i don't use the steam a seam, i hand stitch it down.   i also use a mitred seam to joint the two ends together.  that way they look like all the other joinings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot7Trk6J2Vw

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,362 Posts
Points 415,009
gini replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 11:23 PM

if i have enough fabric i cut them on the bias,  i think they lay nicer. sor sure i would do a bias binding on a quilt i wanted to put in a show

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use