Granddaughter and grandson

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
229 Posts
Points 3,510
Pat posted on Thu, Jan 19 2012 2:37 PM

Looking for suggestions for the best quilt for teenage boy or girl.  thanks......

Pat   From Canada

• | Post Points: 140

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,604

Maybe get them to pick out the focal fabric, that is what I'm doing with my young grandchildren and it is working pretty well.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,604

Sorry I deleted it did not apply

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 2:47 PM

Pat

You can use just about any pattern that you want.  Just let them pick out a focal fabric and then you add whatever needs to be added.   You can also just do the quilts in their favorite colors.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,341 Posts
Points 414,694
gini replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 2:54 PM

i drug my three teen nephews to the fabric store.  once they were there they had a great time picking fabric and then they started having opinions on what i should make.   i finally had to tell them no black, because they  were all into that, but they had fun and did a good job of picking focus fabrics

gini in north idaho

Top 200 Contributor
Female
371 Posts
Points 6,495

If the boy is in football or basketball that would be good and if the girl is in soccer or some other sports team you can go with that.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,095
Joy replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 10:41 AM

I have found with teens, especially girls, its better to go with a color theme then a specific sport or something. I'm sure the same may be true for boys. Unless of course they are really into something specific. I find using color themes allow the quilt to grow with them instead of them outgrowing whatever their into at that moment.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,461 Posts
Points 116,580

Pat:
Looking for suggestions for the best quilt for teenage boy or girl.  thanks......

Pat, I'm having a bit of the same issue. My step daughter is getting married to a man with an 8 year old boy.  I want to make him a quilt as my step daughter says he's always cuddling up with the one I made for her a few years ago.

The boy is all into hunting and fishing with his dad who is a rugged, outdoors man. I found a wonderful fabric with moose, bear etc and will fussy cut it into blocks, with log cabin blocks in between, for a quilt for him.

I like the suggestions by others to go with colors rather than theme so I hope this isn't something he will outgrow.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,503 Posts
Points 50,705
Ginny replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 1:46 PM

Judy, I ran into the same problem with my great grandson who asked me to make him a quilt a little over a year ago.  He was 10 at the time and loved anything to do with fishing and his favorite colors are blue and green, so I did a  yellow brick road quilt in blues and greens using as many fishes and frogs and bug type things that I could find in those colors.  It really turned out well and the long arm quilter quilted it in a dragonfly pattern.  There is a picture of it in my gallery....Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,395 Posts
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 2:05 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
The boy is all into hunting and fishing with his dad who is a rugged, outdoors man. I found a wonderful fabric with moose, bear etc and will fussy cut it into blocks, with log cabin blocks in between, for a quilt for him.

I have yet to meet  any kid who was into this who out grew it.  Usually the attraction just intensifies. 

Now, dinosaurs, thats another matter.  Unless of course you are chocake's boss.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Sun, Jan 22 2012 8:56 PM

Patti:

Judy T-Bellingham:

I have yet to meet  any kid who was into this who out grew it.  Usually the attraction just intensifies. 

Now, dinosaurs, thats another matter.  Unless of course you are chocake's boss.

ditto here.  I made my son a fishing quilt yers ago.  He recently bought a new travel trailer and ask me if I could enlarge it to fit the queen bead!  I had to laugh.  The quilt is so old and used he needs a new one!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 65,998

I posted a response yesterday and it said it needed to be approved by the moderator???  Anyway, if you want to look at my gallery, there are several quilts that would be appropriate for teenagers.  I had put links to some of them directly but apparently that isn't good.  :-(

Top 150 Contributor
622 Posts
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Sun, Jan 22 2012 10:00 PM

Are you close enough to them that you have seen their wardrobe?  Such as, do they wear t shirts with funnies, or sayings, or logos of teams?  If so, you can get some of their old ones from their mom and make a t shirt quilt.  That way they also have their memories preserved.... 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use