Binding! By machine or by Hand?

Page 3 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Nancy, I think I'm going to try the glue method, for one thing it eliminates pinning. I kind of remember watching a video a couple of years ago that was kind of like the Sharon Schamber glue method, but they folded from the front to the back and stitched in the ditch on the front.  I wish I could find the other video, as I think a combination of the two videos would be perfect.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 595
tish replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 9:46 AM

I am not a pinner....I use as few pins as possible on everything I sew.  For the binding, I always use my walking foot.  Some quilts I machine sew binding to the front and then hand sew the binding in the back.  I'm helping a church bind quilts for charity (these are given out on mission trips to other countries) and the hand stitching takes too long....so for these quilts I have been machine stitching the binding to the back first then I pull it around to the front and iron it down, using a little glue in the corners to hold it.  Then I use a wide decorative stitch to stitch it down on the front...usually with varigated thread because thats fun for me - these stitches use more thread, but I like the results as it catches the back too and doesn't look bad like my wobbly straight stitch.  Before the glue I was using that 1/4" fusible web sometimes, the glue is so much faster and easier.  tish

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 48
Points 2,230
Nancy replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 6:30 PM

Spudgrandma:

Do you sew your binding on the machine or by hand?

I have always sewn my binding on by machine and then turning it from the front to the back and hand stitching it. I cannot hand stitch any longer so.......... Those of you who do your binding completely by machine, do you have some tips, tricks, suggestions?   I tried the machine on a couple of the first crib quilts I made but did not like the way they turned out, so started hand stitching.  Since I now have no choice but to sew by machine, I'm going to have to figure it out and could use any help you could offer. Thanks All!

I just watched that tutorial from Missouri Star Quilt Company last weekend, and finished my binding by machine for the first time.  I was so thrilled at how it came out and how quickly I was done.  It still takes a little time, but nothing compared to stitching it by hand the way I used to.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Thanks Nancy, I appreciate your input

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,502
Points 48,070
Frances replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 8:36 AM

I just wanted to say thank you for asking the question, i just assumed everybody sewed it to the front and then hand sewed it to the back, now im going to look at the different methods and see if one of them suits me better as im always stuck for time and its a standing joke that if i make anything its always late (but always made with love).

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,367
Points 37,280
Linda replied on Fri, Feb 10 2012 6:20 PM

I want to thank who ever asked this question and all the answers. I just read all three pages. Some days my hands hurt too bad for hand sewing so I save it all for good days. But I just learned several new machine methods that will save me a lot of time! Thank you!!!

Hugs.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

I guess I did not post the link for the Binding the Angel  by Sharon Schambers. I am in the process of using this on Maggie's quilt and it is working great. Joining the ends has always given me fits but not with this method, a piece of cake. The directions for joining the ends are in the 2nd video, there are 3 videos all together.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Spud - when I did the binding on Celeste's quilt, I sewed it to the back and brought it around to the front.  Then I used one of the decorative stitches on my Janome to sew it down.  I really like using the decorative stitches to do this.  Kinda adds a little something extra. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

replied on Fri, Feb 10 2012 6:38 PM

I have used her technique for years now, I love the results Iget.  Love Sharon!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,215
Pamela replied on Fri, Feb 10 2012 6:59 PM

Spudgrandma,

I've just been reading this thread and decided to just suggest an alternative. Try this technique I've learned from Atkinson Designs patterns. Plan a double fold binding that is larger than usual - 2-1/2 inces, double folded makes a 1-1/4 inch binding. Sew on by machine using 1/4" seam. This is the usual process. Place fusible tape along the seam and fold binding to the back, extending past the stitched seam an 1/8th inch or so. Lightly press to hold in place and continue around the entire quilt. This process will also allow you to turn and miter your corners. After it is pressed to hold in place, turn the quilt back to the front and stitch in the ditch along the edge of the binding. The back of the binding will be caught in the seam, but it won't show on the front.

I have tried this technique on smaller projects like placemats and table runners, but the concept should work with a quilt. It will just take longer. Try it and tell us how it works out. I still like to hand sew mine. I haven't used pins in years, but hold the binding down using hair clips. You can find these in quilt stores now and inflated prices. I just picked packages of a couple dozen up at the dollar store for a buck about 15 years ago. They last forever.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Feb 10 2012 7:51 PM

I do both , just depends on my hands I also have put my binding on front and back again depends on the quilt, I pin just faster .LOL  barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 20,790
KATHY replied on Fri, Feb 10 2012 8:03 PM

I fold my 2  1/2 strips in half.  iron it . using fons and porters method I sew down the back of the quilt, make mitered corners, then fold over to the front and sew it down watching for the corners.... no pins.  doesn't take long either.

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Pamela:
After it is pressed to hold in place, turn the quilt back to the front and stitch in the ditch along the edge of the binding. The back of the binding will be caught in the seam, but it won't show on the front.

I'm using Sharon's method with the glue but I'm going to stitch in the ditch on the front. I'm making sure that I'm gluing it down just past the stitch line so it will catch and I've been checking by sticking a pin from the front, in the ditch, to the back to make sure it is going to catch.  So far so good.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,215
Pamela replied on Fri, Feb 10 2012 8:39 PM

When you're done, you should post a picture so that we can all see how it looks.

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 120

I just watched Wendy Butler Burns in her Machine Quilting video.  She cuts the binding 2 1/4, sews it to the BACK of the quilt (having trimmed the edges and squared up the quilt), turns it to the front and topstitches it down.  It looks easy to me!

• | Post Points: 35
Page 3 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use