Page 2 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,468
Points 362,032
Kris replied on Fri, Jan 20 2012 1:40 AM

Spud I sew it by machine as well. I sew to the front and pull it to the back I sew it down from the front. I pin mostly but I have tried the glue. I also have some Wonder Clips. They work well but I only bought 10 to try them. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Kris, I may have to try the clips also they look like they might help me in the gluing process.

Thanks for your input.  I really don't have a choice but to sew by machine and I really appreciate everyone chiming in with how they do theirs. Now, I'm going to have to learn how to do a good job, or at least an acceptable job, at this.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,250
Points 239,932
Thea replied on Fri, Jan 20 2012 2:44 PM

I stitch mine on the front by the machine and turn to the back and hand stitch it down.  I use 2 1/4" bindings and sew 3/8" on the depth of my binding - I make sure that the batting goes all the way out to the edge.  I was taught by a judge for quilt shows to sew down my corners - never would have except they say that if the quilts are equal and they need something to separate them that they check the binding - make sure it is full with batting and the same all the way around.  I do not pin - but do take it to the pressing station and first press the seam out and then fold it to the back side and press it in place the way I am going to sew it... 

I sew the binding on by machine going clockwise around the quilt and when I do the hand stitching I do it counter clockwise - the corners are perfectly mitered this way - I did a tutorial on here of how I do bindings if you want to look at it - it is all pictured so that you can see.

I did talk a long time ago about machine stitching them down and I do have the system that Nancy has - but as yet I haven't had to use it - I am still able with my arthritic hands to do them by hand - this is the last part of the quilt and I love doing this - my last time working with this quilt and I put a lot of love into it - to me it is very relaxing - I do not like the look of the machine stitch unless you do a decorative stitch - I have yet to see any that you can do it right in the seam - I think the system Nancy uses is the best for this and there is a video you can watch - Martinelli I think is the name but it is in the other room - If Nancy doesn't post about it I'll look at it and repost the name later.  

I do love my hand stitching time though - especially when the quilt is being given away - I get to put all my last loving thoughts for that person in it and it is so relaxing to me... I am done before I realize - I usually think I am halfway done when I come up to that last stitch that needs to go in.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,188
Points 15,900
Susan replied on Fri, Jan 20 2012 3:09 PM

Spud, there is a tutorial on Jenny Doan,s Missouri Star Quilt Co. com And she stitches in back and brings it to front . She makes it look so easy the corners are perfect and the stitching on back is straight were she wants it. I use this method and have good results. She does not use a straight stitch either, something like a feather/zig zag. Check out her site I think you will be amazed at how well the binding turns out.  Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Thanks Susan, I found that yesterday but only got 1/2 way through it, I saved it and hope to watch the whole thing later.

It is amazing how they manage to make everything look so easy LOL

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,504
Points 50,725
Ginny replied on Fri, Jan 20 2012 5:38 PM

Susan, that sounds like the stitch I did on both of my sons quilts tha I gave them for Christmas.  I sewed the binding down on the back and brought it around to the front and did a feather stitch in red ont the black binding....Ginny

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,188
Points 15,900
Susan replied on Fri, Jan 20 2012 6:04 PM

Ginny, Thats sounds really pretty.How did it come out? Susan

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,504
Points 50,725
Ginny replied on Fri, Jan 20 2012 6:12 PM

They came out well.  If I ever get a chance to relearn how to post them I will....Ginny

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,188
Points 15,900
Susan replied on Fri, Jan 20 2012 7:22 PM

Ginny, i know what you mean, My DS posts mine for me and I never can get it to work for me . Susan

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 2:54 AM

Spud - looks like you have had some great responses to your question.  Sorry you are unable to do it by hand anymore but the method where you sew it on the back and bring to the front and use a feather or fancy type stitch sounds great.  Seems like you could miter the corners easily and you would be done before you know it.

I am still able to do the hand sewing and if I couldn't, I would use the fancy stitches.  I have been sewing since I was 14 and I still do not sew a straight line! :-( So whatever works for you, go for it.  It is wonderful that Maggie's quilt is ready for the binding - you go girl!  I bet that really feels good to you! 

MargeP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Thank you Marge P. I am happy to have it almost done. I will figure out the binding, I hope LOL

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 195
LeftyLou replied on Mon, Jan 23 2012 2:58 PM

SpudGrandma!  

Pat Sloan has a great tutorial on YouTube about machine binding.

The link - 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCmJXBiqKX8&list=UUXCcpzdfBIZ5SAP5i7DuFsw&index=5&feature=plcp

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 195
LeftyLou replied on Mon, Jan 23 2012 3:29 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCmJXBiqKX8&list=UUXCcpzdfBIZ5SAP5i7DuFsw&index=5&feature=plcp

Sorry!  Forgot to link it.  Tee Hee Hee!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Thanks for the link LeftyLou.

BTW, not sure I've said Hi yet so Hi and nice to meet you.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Mon, Jan 23 2012 8:51 PM

Spud, I do have the Martelli Zip Bind system that Thea is talking about and after much practice, I am getting better at it, but reading these other suggestions, I have to say that I am intrigued by the gluing method.  That might be easier than the Martelli.  The advantage of the Martelli is that it does, indeed, keep you in the ditch on the opposite side.

Good luck!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 2 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use