Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 37 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka Posted: Wed, Jan 18 2012 12:15 PM

I had a lap quilt laid out on my design board the other night. DH came by and expressed his opinion that overall it was 'too dark'. Maybe it needed 'lighter and brighter' colors added. Then he also asked if it would be more 'interesting' if the square thingys (blocks) were diagonal.

We will skip all the things that ran thru my mind (it was late, I was tired). I have since moved my design board so it it no longer in the direct path between his man-cave and the kitchen. We will see if that solves one of my problems.  Anyway, I took his suggestions to heart and added some colors and did another lay out of the blocks.

Background: A while back I was watching a movie where the hero blundered into a sleeping dragon. When the dragon raised his eyelids I was impressed with the special effects used on the eyeballs. They appeared to be multi-colored layers of liquid that kept changing as the dragon woke up, focused on the hero, and became angry at the intrusion.  I call this quilt "Dragon Eyes" because it sorta imitates how I remember those eyes looked in the movie.  This lap quilt will be a donation quilt, tagged for a male, and probably elderly.  I have found elderly guys don't usually go for girly flowerly prints, so I tend to use more earthy tones. Mottled also hides lots of probable stains.

So, which lay out do you think looks best?  I do have some more light greens, pale orangey, and pinkish batiks I could use, but I really don't want my dragon to look like he was on drugs.

Thank you!

Max

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 12:17 PM

Max

I really like the one that is on point.  It seems to have more movement.  It is almost like I can see the "eyes" blinking.   This is going to be beautiful no matter which way you go.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 12:25 PM

I like the color choice and I love the on point setting rather than straight on.  It will be a wonderful quilt for anyone.  Great job, Max.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,649
Points 52,690
Ginny replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 12:29 PM

Max, they are both nice, but the diagonal one , well what can I say?  I fell in love with it- and I am not a man..LOL....Ginny

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
gjeotwjrne replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 12:29 PM

Stright layout is ok, but....on point really adds movement and interest. Gotta give this one to DH!

TAQ (The Anonymous Quilter)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 12:31 PM

wow.  I agree with the rest.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,520
Points 48,345
Frances replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 12:33 PM

I love the one on point and the fabrics are stunning. It will make a lovely quilt.

Francesxxx

England

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

I have to say I agree with the others, I like the one on point better, but they are both beautiful.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,117
Points 67,345
Robin replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 12:43 PM

I like the one on point.   And I love the colors.  I think they are perfect for a dragon's blinking eye.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,934
Points 125,235

Max, I like the on point version best. Really striking.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 826
Points 16,425
Sue replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 12:51 PM

Hi Max,

Well on this I have to agree with DH, on point makes it looks more like dragon eyes blinking or opening.  That said, I would keep it to the colors you have.  Adding lighter colors I think just won't work with this one.  So now you have to decide on what is going to be in the setting triangles.  If I might suggest?  Stay with your same blocks, just make them half squares.  I think this will make a very stunning quilt.  Please post when you have it finished.

Sometimes DH, yours and others, have good ideas.  I only listen to mine half the time. LOL

Sue in the piney woods of East Texas

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,544
Points 417,019
gini replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 1:36 PM

i like the on point too.  try concentrating all the orangy colors to the center, so it looks like it is glowing from within

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 1:37 PM

The diagonal wins i guess. Love the colors and the setting.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,544
Points 417,019
gini replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 1:37 PM

my post disappeared.   i like it on point,  try condentrating all the orangies to the center.   it will give more of an impession of an eye and look like it is glowing from within

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,544
Points 417,019
gini replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 1:38 PM

and there's the disappearing post,  you have my two cents twice.  that makes a four cent opinion

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use