Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka Posted: Tue, Jan 17 2012 1:00 AM

Hello!  My name is Maxine.  I am a fabriholic.  I have given up trying to find a cure and now I just live with my addiction.

I have been a member for awhile now and have been reading your posts and drooling over the many many beautiful quilts you ladies and Quilt Daddy have made.  Such beautiful colors, and patterns, and crisp clean points. And I can only dream of making my seams match like yours do!  What a gathering of very talented and artistic people all in one spot.

About me...cause I know you will all want to know...and I will try to keep it short.  I have lived in Kansas for the last nine years because I married a man who already lived here. I couldn't get him to move to Oklahoma, so I loaded up my truck and moved to Kansas.  I am now retired, and spend a lot of time feeding and watching birds. And trying to keep the obese squirrels out of the bird feeders. I read and sew most of the rest of the time.  Like many of you, I have developed a few health issues as I have aged. Bits and pieces of the body don't work like they did when I was twenty.  Some days all the bits revolt at the same time, other days they take turns. Each morning I take inventory to see what will work today, and then I decide what I will attempt to get done.  I'm sure you all know that feeling!

I made my first quilt when I was nine years old, with my step-Grandmother's help. It was just a lap quilt for my Grandpa, and was simple 4 X 6 inch rectangles sewed in rows and tied.  I made my second quilt when I was about forty years old. It was for the birth of my nephew. It was simple squares, with hand embroidery of farm animal babies, pieced and tied. He still has his blankie, although now he keeps it safely tucked inside a pillowcase to keep the remnants together. I've offered to fix or replace it, but he politely declines.  I was able to get started piecing quilt tops again about three years ago when I retired. In the years between quilt number one and number three I have done a lot of sewing on clothing, dolls, teddy bears, household projects like curtains, potholders, etc. 

I WANT to make beautifully detailed, dainty, perfectly pieced quilts like you folks make and like I remember Grandma making. Her favorites were DWR and GFG, handcut, hand pieced, and hand quilted. But...my hands and my eyes don't agree with that desire. So to reduce stress (and bad language) I find I am leaning toward making quilts patterns that are more forgiving.  I think the quilting term is "free form quilting".   I haven't finished one yet, so no pictures, but I am enjoying the process much more than struggling to keep my seam straight, and matching.

Here is a picture of a couple of practice Nine Patch blocks.  (I hope I have figured out how to post a pic here!)

So you can see I have "straight and matching" issues!   I have posted pics of a couple of other quilts in my gallery. 

Sorry about the long post, but the hands seemed to work tonight for typing, and I felt it was time to come out of the woodwork and say "hello"!  

Max

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,544
Points 417,019
gini replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 1:05 AM

hi max, it's nice to meet you.  i'm glad you decided to come out and play.   i've seen your quilts in the gallery,  you have some nice work there.    i like your wonky nine patches.   they look good to me.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 1:07 AM

Max

Welcome to the forums.  I am glad that you finally came out of the woodwork and introduced yourself.  I love your freeform 9 patch.  That is really neat.  Please stop in and chat with us frequently.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 5:32 AM

Hi Max, so happy you finally decided to drop in and chat with us

[Ava, Missouri

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 544
Points 3,805
Paula replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 5:51 AM

Glad to meet you!!! No quilt police here so just do your thing, I don't ever have "perfect" quilts either!!! I just love the whole process of making them. They remind me of the puzzles I did as a kid only with fabric, I also make up blocks and quilts that aren't true patterns and no one seems to mind!!! It's whatever you like to do, once it's quilted and bound no one sees our mistakes but us! We are just too critical of our own selves, although I am starting to relax about it all now after lots of my quilt recipients love their gifts and never notice my mistakes!!! Looking forward to seeing more of you! 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Hi Max--

So nice to meet you and I think your 9 patch is delightful!  Sounds like you fit in perfectly with this zany bunch.  Many of us share your "bits and pieces" issues, so we can definitely relate to that. Hope you'll posts lots now that you've decided to come out of hiding.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 10:13 AM

Hi Max and welcome.  Glad you decided to join our crew.  Love your wonky 9 patch and now I'm going to have a look at your gallery.

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 10:24 AM

Welcome, Max. This is a great place to learn, make wonderful friends and have lots of fun. Glad you're here. Love, love you nine patch. Where did you get that pattern? Or is that a I fingured it out myself quilt?

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 12:31 PM

Thank you so much for your warm welcome and kind comments on my nine patch blocks and quilts. I am looking forward  to participating in the discussions.  I have learned so much from just reading your replys to questions and tips in the last few months.

Sukochi:  you asked about my pattern for the wonky nine patch.  It's not really a 'pattern' in the traditional sense.  I will try to attach a link to a website that has a Curvy Class tutorial in it. It has step-by-step pictured instructions.  There are several short tutorials on this page, but the curvy piecing one is the last one. She is working with orange, pink, and green material.  (Fingers crossed posting this link works for me...computering is kind of like quilting for me--sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!)

http://thelastpiece.typepad.com/the_last_piece/tutorials/

Also, if you are more visual and like watching videos, do a google search for: Curved Piecing for Art Quilts.    That search should bring up a three part video, by Alicia Merrett.  She does step-by-step instructions for cutting and assembling curved pieces and then progresses to doing pieces similar to the nine patch block I did.  You can also do a google search on her name and one of the  results will be 'images' of several of her art quilts and wall hangings. They are very different from most quilts you see here.  After watching her videos I am confident I can do about anything I dare to try.  The videos are about 9 minutes each. Even if you don't really like free form style quilting they are interesting to watch.

Thanks to all of you again for your warm welcome!

Max

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Max and welcome to QCA.

MaxNTopeka:
So you can see I have "straight and matching" issues!  

That is what is so wonderful about quilting - anything goes its your quilt!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,712
Points 248,467
Thea replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 12:53 PM

Maxine - you aren't too far from me if I am right that you are in Topeka - you have a couple wonderful guilds up that way that I wish weren't so far for me to drive too - a few of my very good friends from the Ponca City Guild tell me about them.  I would love to meet you sometime and introduce you - Your quilt blocks are fantastic and I bet your points in 99% of your quilts are great too - we always put ourselves down the most - lol... I am going to check our your gallery after I finish this post.

If you would like to make the DWR quilt - I have a group that I have given detailed instructions on how to make it the John Flynn way... he made it much easier for us to do with the ability to strip piece all those little arc pieces.  No 1000s of pieces to get confused as to where they go.  I have recently finished my one top and have 2 to go - they are waiting patiently/impatiently for me to get back to them... UFOs... 

If you feel up to the drive to Ponca City - our quilt guild there meets the 1st Monday of the month - I do not remember who our speaker is in February but if you are interested - friend me and I'll give you all the information - it is a great guild - meets during the day - we have a stitch and assist each meeting to teach us old and new things to do... a great group of women too - some from KS and some from OK.

Nice to meet you and hope to talk again!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Thea,

Yes, I am in beautiful, sunny, windy Topeka, KS.   We do have a couple of wonderful guilds here. I have seen many of their quilts at the annual show and have tried not to embarss myself drooling at their work. 

I would love to visit Ponca City again. I used to go to the draft horse show and auctions there many years ago. But driving is one of the things I do in very limited amounts.  My DH is wonderful about driving me to places I need to go, but since he is still working full time I need to work around his schedule.  I can still drive if I have to, but it's not really all that safe for everyone else on the streets...and sidewalks. LOL!

One of the things I inherited from my mother, besides her Pfaff, was her RA.  It seems to affect my hands and lower back mostly.  My father was kind, and left me his 'sensitive GI tract", which means I can't tolerate anti-inflammatory medicines. Combined the two issues, and you get a grumpy old lady that stays close to a heating pad a lot.  I know you understand. I do so admire all the beautiful work you do in spite of your challenges.

I watched your progress on the DWR project as you posted the pictures recently. You made a beautiful quilt, and I loved the colors you used. But I'd really have to think hard about attempting one myself.  Wonder if that is a pattern that could be converted to 'wonky'?  I'm sure if I tried it, it would be wonky...intentionally or otherwise!  I'll have to ponder attempting a DWR.  Thank you for your offer to help.

Looking forward to talking with you more!

Max

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,712
Points 248,467
Thea replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 2:13 PM

Maxine - yes I do understand about your medical problems - i am overcoming all of mine - have handed it off to the Lord and told him to take care of it - I refuse to take it back from him this time - 2012 is the year of finishing all my UFOs and becoming super well - I will have a new body - teehee - a new very old body is okay - just no aches and no pains(my nose is growing)... I do use heat all the time - have electric blankets on my chair - one under my back and one on top of my body - I also bought those Pajama grams last year - love them - I keep toasty warm no matter the temperature and once heated up do rather well...

Now today is not that good a day - but I did get the room painted and did get 2 quilts bound and made 2 other little projects that I can't post till Barbara comes for her birthday - I do need to get my butt to the post office - making a big sign to get me out the door tomorrow... post office - have 2 packages that need mailing - wish I could find someone who would just come by my house and do this for me...teehee...

Take care of yourself and if you ever do get down to PC we would love to see you there - it is my favorite guild.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Max, welcome to the club.

Margaret

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 20,790
KATHY replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 8:53 PM

Hi Max!  Welcome!

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use