Top 10 Posters

QUILTING HOW DO YOU DO YOURS

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 56 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 47,700
Frances posted on Mon, Jan 16 2012 12:31 PM

Hello Everybody,

Just a question about quilting your quilts, do you all have a longarm quilting machine, or do some of you use your normal sewing machine or do you use huge quilting frame and hand quilt, i have 2 sewing machines a bernina and a husqvarna but i dont think i have enough room for a huge quilting frame, any help greatly appreciated.

Frances

England

• | Post Points: 260

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,583 Posts
Points 75,665
Karla replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 2:36 PM

Thanks for the link!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
623 Posts
Points 9,290

I'm using my regular Brother machine.  I've used a longarm at a local quilt shop once.  Do a Google search on quilting frames.  You might be surprised on how litttle room some of them take.

Margaret

Top 200 Contributor
Female
371 Posts
Points 6,495

Hello Frances;  I am glad you asked that question because I have a lot of quilts that I have done and have been tying (tacking) them because I cannot afford to send them out to be quilted.  Now by reading all of the responses from everyone that machine quint on the domestic machine, this makes me feel more confident to do mine on my regular sewing machine. I didn't think it could be done.  I will give it a try.  Wish me luck.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
109 Posts
Points 2,360
1Lori replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 9:01 AM

I have always done my quilts on my brother machine at home. I found you just need plenty of room to the left of the machine to put up a table so the quilt can rest on it. That makes less drag when you are tyring to quilt on the machine.  Also I use garden gloves,  the kind that have rubber grippers on the finger tips, this helps to keep control of the quilt as you move it around while quilting it on the  machine.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,095
Joy replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 10:09 AM

Hello Frances. Great question! I began quilting my quilts, even queen size, on a brother sewing machine. Nothing special. I graduated to a Pfaff Grand quilter a little over 2 years ago. I have it set up like a regular sewing machine. I do all my piecing and quilting on it. I could never afford to set it up at a long arm and I don't think I'd want to. It pieces perfect scant 1/4 inch seams quickly. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is as long as you have a decent size table you can quilt your quilts on any machine! I would start with smaller quilts just to get the feel of it. Good luck and happy quilting!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 47,700
Frances replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 10:55 PM

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to me i think im going to try quilting with my Bernina 830 its an old one over 30 years old but its a lovely machine with a bit larger throat than my Husqvarna rose.

I will let you know how it turns out, although dont be surprised if its a while as everyone seems to work quicker than me.

Frances

England

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Points 65
NINAV replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 11:02 PM

Good Luck.  I've been using my machine and have had great results for about three years now.  I don't do as much as I wished I could, but I like what I've done.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,604

Arzella:
Now by reading all of the responses from everyone that machine quint on the domestic machine, this makes me feel more confident to do mine on my regular sewing machine. I didn't think it could be done.  I will give it a try.  Wish me luck.

I'll wish you luck Arzella. You can do it and I hope you will post a pic of your first effort.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,604

Hi NINAV I wanted to say Hi as I don't think I've met you before.   If you have pictures of your quilts I hope you will share.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 500 Contributor
Female
130 Posts
Points 1,560
Debby replied on Fri, Jan 20 2012 5:27 PM

Hi Frances,

I have quilted all of my quilts, all the way up to queen size, on my domestic machines.  Have used my little old Bernina 807 for free-motion quilting on crib size quilts, and my larger old and not-as-old full size machines for machine quilting (walking foot and free motion).  None of my machines have a very big harp space.

A few weeks ago I quilted a very thick twin size quilt on the old Necchi Supernova.  Due to the high-loft batting and flannel backing, it wasn't easy stuffing it thru the machine for simple in-the-ditch quilting, but doable.  And my DH thinks it turned out great.  (made it for him to take to the hunting cabin)

Your 830 should do just fine! 

Happy Quilting!

Top 500 Contributor
146 Posts
Points 3,075

I guess I do the "Stuff n Fluff" method! hahaha I have had 1 quilt sent to a LA'er. It was beautifully done. But I have done all the others myself on my Husqvarna viking. It is a little hard at times and sometimes it doesn't come out as I imagined. But everyone who's received the quilt has loved them and not noticed the imperfections...which I see as OBVIOUS! I just keep on practicing...

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Sun, Jan 22 2012 9:22 PM

I started machine quilting in 1994 using a kenmore household machine with a 6 inch throat because hand quilting was taking to long and I had so many quilts I wanted to make.  Later I bought another machine at Wal-Mart (a brother) with a 7 inch throat.  I did the fluff and stuff with both of them, quilting everything from crib to queen size. I still fluff and stuff smaller quilts I want to quilt in the ditch even though  in 2006 I bought a baby lock with a grace quilting frame because my shoulders were killing me doing the fluff and stuff.  I have no problem standing and if I work with a pantograph or the included templates, I can sit in my adjustable chair and just glide along. 

However you need a large amount of space to use a long arm or mid arm machine and frame. 

Page 4 of 4 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use