Top 10 Posters

Using Bias Bars to Press Bias Stems and they hang

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 165
sjenews posted on Thu, Jan 12 2012 6:59 PM

Am needing some long bias stems for a project and planned to use bias bars for pressing.  I sewed the pieces of fabric together using 45 degree seams to reduce bulk but my problem is that when I try to slide the bar through the part of the stem with a seam sometimes it goes right through and other times it gets hung up behind the seam allowance.  Does anyone have a trick to getting the bar through without hanging?

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,388 Posts
Points 37,625
Linda replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 7:27 PM

When I made the bias for my Celtic quilt I trimmed the seam allowance down to 1/8". I didn't have any problems sliding the bars in to press.

Good luck!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,458 Posts
Points 416,719
gini replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 9:05 PM

go with the flow.  send your bias bar down the tube you've made with the seam allowance pressed the same way you're sending the  bar down.

i much prefer to use the little, green thingy that looks like a zipper pull..   it makes great bias stems.   i gave a dicussion on it, i'll try to find it for you.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,458 Posts
Points 416,719
gini replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 9:21 PM

[[speaking of stems,   i like to make them ahead, and roll them on a toilet paper center.  cut these on the bias.  i can't emphasize this more, cut the stems on the bias.  i use the little clover bias tool.   you will need to do samples to get the exact measurement for you tool/ and ruler.   thread the strip into the bias tool,  turn the tool upside down ( it is easier to use this way )  start the iron on the fabric. and steam the strip to death.   leave your iron on it for 20 seconds or more, hottest setting.  each section of the strip will need to be steamed this way, so take your time.  move the iron along the strip, right behind the tool, no gappies, and use your other hand to guide the tool.   don't pull on the tool, if your strip is the perfect width, your iron will be able to push it along.     as soon as you are done ironing the strip, gently but firmly (no stretching) wind it onto the cardboard tube.  leave it on the tube until it is completely cooled.  this will give the fabric memory to stay folded.   make sure them seams meet on the back side or close to meeting and check to make sure there are no wrinkles on the front.   this will give you 1/4 inch stems.   when you go to applique them, after you get the first side stitched down, you can trim the other side and make it even skinnier.   stems bigger than a quarter inch look bulky, even on a larger block.

because you have bias cut your stems,  they will move any which way you want them to without complaining.    if you can, stitch the inside curve first.  sometimes that isn't possible when you have an 's' shaped stem.]]

i prefer using this method, because i more control over how wide the stems are.  there are several sizes of these gadgets, i use the 1/4 inch bias maker.    it makes 1/4 inch stems.  it is already folded over, you can fold the second edge under (after you've stitched the first side down) and get a 1/8 inch stem, i have  trimmed that    seam allowance and made close to a 1/16th inch stem

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,458 Posts
Points 416,719
gini replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 9:23 PM

somtimes i get into a stem making mood and just do several toilet paper rolls of stems in different colors, in an afternoon.   i usually have several colors of green ready to go.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Fri, Jan 13 2012 7:01 AM

Sometimes I sew the bias strips wrong sides together, then just hide the seam underneath when I put on the stem.  The seam can be less than a quarter inch or trimmed depending on how narrow the stem.  Or how much bulk you want the stem to have to give it a more 3 dimensional look.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,458 Posts
Points 416,719
gini replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 1:09 AM

here is the method i use for making stems. see above post

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,458 Posts
Points 416,719
gini replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 1:12 AM

dang, it, i put this in the wrong spot. sorry.

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use