Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up To Today? #5

Page 378 of 659 (9871 items) « First ... < Previous 376 377 378 379 380 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9,870 Replies | 67 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 9:28 AM | Locked

Oh Marsha, you poor girl. Get on the next flight west. I'll share the sunshine!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 9:32 AM | Locked

Head south Marsha --- although it is pretty nippy out there this morning.  It has just now hit 50 degrees on the thermometer

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 9:44 AM | Locked

Wx says we'll hit 80-85 today, and high 70's tomorrow.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,387
Points 29,300
Marsha-SM replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 10:01 AM | Locked

Marsha-SM:
I sewed on table-coverings for the Reliant Convention Center display for dog adoption.  They needed black to cover 2 - 6 foot tables to the floor.  Second layer is 40 inches wide down the center front to back topped by a green strip 20 inches wide down the middle over that.  She bought 4 - 84 inch black drape panels for the under cloths. 

Update on first days of Texas "vacation".  Wed-Fri devoted to Expo!  I did work on Farmer's Wife blocks and played with her 4 dogs (trying to avoid the slobber) Sat-Tues and flew home Wednesday.

My daughter just emailed me pictures of the display at the Pet Expo.  First picture is entire display - 2 - 6 foot tables, 1 - 4 foot table, 1 small table with remaining green hemmed as a square.  2 black 120" tablecloths covered red where 2 booths joined, 4 drape panels seamed as large table covers, black tablecloths on other 2 tables.  My daughter ironed the colored toppers.  She doesn't know to stretch the hems while ironing, so they remained puckered.  Her machine needs a complete overhaul.  I will do that in the fall.  I was to tired to re-iron as my perfectionist self wanted.  The picture with the dog is the pieced topper.  He is their "mascot" - a severely injured pit bull from dog fighting.  He is a wonderful, loving dog and is their "training tool".  Why do people do such horrible things to such kind, beautiful creatures?  The 2 red chairs (only one showing) in the back left corner, were set out for us to use when we needed them AND I DID!  The woman kneeling with Jagger is a vet who, with our daughter, work with many dog rescue organizations.  She also has a vet practice. 

Jagger, an injured, rescued pit bull - was a fighting dog and had massive facial injuries.

Another picture of Jagger showing his injuries.  Surprisingly, he has adapted well to his injuries.  This child's chair makes a perfect dog-posing chair!

The Pit Boss was near this display.  He was too busy for us to talk to him.  His service dog usually just slept like a baby on a bed on a short table behind him. Pit bulls are such caring, kind dogs when treated right.  

Jagger, above is proof of that. Even though he was a fighting dog, with love and care he has become a gentle, loving example to others. Our son has one who used to guard our grandchildren, and now that they are bigger, she guards and loves a neighbor's day care children. She was dropped off at the farm as a puppy. Another neighbor found another one which was probably from the same litter the same day. They must drop dogs one to a farm! This one has also been the constant companion to his children, most of which are now teenagers and older.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,387
Points 29,300
Marsha-SM replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 10:39 AM | Locked

Back again, like a bad penny! 

Had to laugh at granddaughter's comment on Facebook!

YES!!!!! SNOW DAY IN APRIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the schools are closed around here.  MIL's caretaker just got here and, as usual, exaggerated the weather.  She was late as usual!!  Wants to leave early - 3:30 - so that she "can get home"!  Some people are wimps.  Rich has reported on the weather wherever he has gone this morning, and it is the worst here - haven't checked depth lately, but hasn't stopped snowing here yet.  Is supposed to hang above our county all day.  Buffalo has only 1 inch!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 10:44 AM | Locked

WOW!  Fantastic bag, I know you'll have many uses for it from shopping, to shopping, to shopping.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 32
Points 420
Dawn Peterson replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 11:02 AM | Locked

My heavens!!  Where on the east coast are you located???  I was grouching because it was in the 30's at night and in the 50's during the day here in Iowa.  You can keep the snow, I'll take the rain and dismal skies

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 374
Points 9,355
Nan replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 11:44 AM | Locked

Facebook link for Maddie is

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quilted-Hugs-from-Maddie/12715161484563

Nan

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 11:51 AM | Locked

Marsha, send Yagger to me! I'll give hime a happy loving home. He looks so much like my Trucker. The have that same sweet, slightly worried expression.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,387
Points 29,300
Marsha-SM replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 11:53 AM | Locked

Dawn Peterson:

My heavens!!  Where on the east coast are you located???  I was grouching because it was in the 30's at night and in the 50's during the day here in Iowa.  You can keep the snow, I'll take the rain and dismal skies

Dawn, we aren't even on the east cost.  We are East of Buffalo, NY, between the Great Lakes and the NY Fingerlakes.  We just happened to be the target this time!  We usually are the "lucky ones" with the snow passing just North and South of us!  This year things seem to have shifted - probably because the lakes were so warm all winter.  Buffalo excaped this one and most of the ski country is nearly snow-free.  We have one ski slope near us but this snow won't give them much skiing because the ground is too warm.  Probably by Wed. or Thurs. we will be able to use the new lawnmower we had to buy Saturday to mow this "hay field".  Old mower died after just a few passes - can't weld on top of weld!  Deck worn out and tractor engine barely ran!  The lawn probably will be packed down and wet from the snow so it is a good thing we have new blades on a new mower.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 374
Points 9,355
Nan replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 11:58 AM | Locked

Sunny here but only 54 degrees. Will be back in 80's by end of week. Have such a busy week, I have to just take it one day at a time. hope to go to Quilt guild meeting here tomorrow evening, have never been to one.

Anyone who is planning to bring fabric to Maddie at Smoky Mtn retreat.. I do have a quilter requesting flannel to make rag quilts for us. Diana has already given us a lovely  bag full.

Hope to get to sort all the fabric at least by color and type before retreat so I can bring good selection for those who have requested fabric. And if you have made or are making a quilt to donate to Maddie please save it for retreat,no sense in spending money on postage. As we are working with school counselors we will not get that going great till school starts back so we will spend summer creating quilted hugs supply! Of course she will be donating as requests come in also.

After all the wonderful fun reported from the VB retreat we are looking forward to our retreat in June. I did go thru all the cabinets finally and found 5 bottles of wine to bring. I can not drink due to meds and never drank wine due to headaches but i will bring it  to donate to those who do like wine. I have already started setting items aside that need to go with us on retreat.

Plus sue and i will be doing dinner on mon night.

Nan

Cleveland, TN

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,387
Points 29,300
Marsha-SM replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 12:06 PM | Locked

chocake2:

Marsha, send Yagger to me! I'll give hime a happy loving home. He looks so much like my Trucker. The have that same sweet, slightly worried expression.

They would be a good pair!  I don't think he is going anywhere, though.  The vet holding him in the first picture loves him too much.  He is the official representative of the Treat 'Em Right Rescue.  Also, my daughter loves him so much that she would adopt him if her huge Bulldog/Boxer mix with the hate for other male dogs would let him stay.  She is fostering another black pit bull now and the dogs have to be kept apart or there might be blood shed!  She crates one while the other is out.  When she is at work the one day a week that she drives to Houston to the office she has to put the pit bull in a kennel for the day.  Otherwise, one dog would have to be crated all day, and bladders don't hold that long!  The rest of the time she works from home - thank goodness for computers and internet!  Saves a lot of time and fuel.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,455
safrmaz replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 12:55 PM | Locked

Marsha-SM:
Pit bulls are such caring, kind dogs when treated right. 

Marsha, 

My daughter volunteers at CHA in Columbus, Ohio.  She says the same thing.  They have a few Pits who are very sweet dogs looking for their forever homes.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 1:08 PM | Locked

Well - I saw my grandson off to basic training around noon.  It is giong to be quiet around here again. :o(  I took a picture of the gang that was taking him over to Fort Gillem.  He will spend the night there and then they will bus them all down to Fort Benning by Columbus GA in the morning.  He gave me a big hug and thanked me for letting him stay with us.  Of course the water works started!!!! Hope I didn't embarrass him too much in front of his girlfriend, Hannah and best bud, Slade.  Dave has to "fix" my photo so I will post it later.  Dave is gone to the dentist right now.

I have spent the morning doing laundry.  While the loads are going, I am ironing and folding the pillowcases  that I washed last night.  I found 5 more that I had cut out and didn't take along.  I guess I will finish those up and add them to the growing pile.  Once I get the cutting table unearthed, I need to cut my fabric for MQ6 and get that going. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 2:33 PM | Locked

Marge, I am still having trouble picture you as someone old enough to have grown grandchildren...

I'm in the throws of climbing Mt Washpile as well.  If I'm lucky, I should hit basecamp by nightfall...

Marsha, I just showed Hubby Yagger's picture. He laughed and said that with that worried look, he could be T-dog's twin -- then he asked how long it would be before I offered him a home. LOL

Trucker was a stray hubby brought home one Friday after work, with the thought that he'd take him to the shelter when they opened on Monday. Didn't happen. I fell in love... 

Everyone assumed he was a Lab/Boxer mix but I always thought it was more likely Lab/Pit. We let people believe otherwise since it was easier then explaining that he wasn't automatically viscious due to genetics.  Whatever his breed, he'd seen his fair share of troubles when he came to live with us. I could never have asked for a better companion.  He worked by my side in the daycare for years, as well as being a therapy dog at the local nursing homes on weekends. That should give you a good idea of his temperment. He taught all 3 of the kids to walk before he died.

Hubby had a pitbull for years, and swears that given the opertunity, he'd take another in a heartbeat. One day his friend came by with his 2 year old daughter. The dog and child were left to play in the yard while the fellas visited. Little Jenny came running up, sobbing hysterically about the mean doggy and showing her torn jeans. It took some decifering, but it seemed Tex kept grabbing her by the britches and dragging her across the yard, which was very up-setting for the child. After she was settled down and went back into the yard to play, they watched the dog pretty darn close. Sure enough, Jenny headed for the back gate (The only think keeping her from the river bottoms) and the dog grabbed her pants and drug her back....  She couldn't have opened the gate, but Tex had no way of knowing that.  He just would NOT let her go near it.   Hubby had to put him down after he started chasing after cows. He killed a full grown steer.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 378 of 659 (9871 items) « First ... < Previous 376 377 378 379 380 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use