Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up To Today? #5

Page 357 of 659 (9871 items) « First ... < Previous 355 356 357 358 359 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9,870 Replies | 67 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 8:04 PM | Locked

I've been doing the family dinners for the last 10-15 years. At first MiL objected but now I think she sorta looks forward to it.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 374
Points 9,355
Nan replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 10:48 PM | Locked

Heck in 2010 DIL decided to do Thanksgiving and then did not invite ME!!! That girl is lucky I don't treat her the way she deserves to be treated!

I took over holidays when first got married. Brother and sister never ever did a holiday but they would show with their appetites.

I just went to let dogs out and found 12 large boxes from UPS (from people who donated via Craftsy). I dragged them inside and texted son to get them upstairs in morning as contractors start on kitchen wall tomorrow. And son stopped at post office and we had another 10 boxes there but smaller size.

UPS must have come while we were at swimming lessons. I park my car in garage under house so never really look at front porch unless dogs go out front.

Maddie worked on her quilt some more tonight and now I swear she sews 1/4 inch seams straighter than I do. I had gotten some of the tape you can use to mark measurements and I put it on 1/4 inch for her and she got them just right. And she was just so pleased with herself, so I told it one should never outdo the teacher!! She thought that was funny/ She is also starting to sew faster now, at first she went slow but now she is just clipping along.

I finally gave up and turned on the a/c, hated too but it was like 84 in house and poor Maddie was sweating in her sleep. I hear pour low on Friday is going to be 46 degrees with high of 70, and some station was saying highs in low 60's next week. I have to actually see this!! One ceiling fan will not work, others had to be encouraged but then caught on.

While Maddie was swimming I talked to personal trainer at the YMCA. You get 3 sessions for free. He suggested the Caveman diet. (Paleo/Primal) I will try the fruits/vegetables, avoiding bread and sugar but I am not into nuts and seeds. And I do have to wonder ..they say this is so great as cavemen did not have heart disease and diabetes. Now how do they know that... what if the dinosaurs had not ate them at a young age, maybe they would have gotten illnesses if they lived long enough. I am trying to think positive but I am hungry and depressed and I have not even started yet. I did,  in this last month give up soda, and now drink water 98% of the time and only occassional iced tea. That was hard enough, and it let me lose 4 pounds! I will try some exercise but I have a resting heart rate over 100 with no movements so exercise is interesting as I get to 160 walking 10 ft. And not a thing wrong with my heart. Had 3 different workups by top cardio guys and all three said it is cause I am winded (wound?) too tight. Had this problem when I was under 100 pounds and same now that I am fat. But I could see the glint in the personal trainers eye, that he thinks he can get me off some of my meds. Obviously does not understand bipolar as I explained those meds were for life. And cholesterol med was on that when I weighted just over 100 pounds as well. Got father's genes on that one.  But he is young and I should not deprive him of the goals he has in his life! So I will try.

Has anyone else tried this diet?

Nan

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 8:33 AM | Locked

"Caveman diet" makes me think of Fred Flintstone and his plate of Brontosaurus ribs...    Have you looked at Fred recently?  I really don't think the answer to weight issues is to fallow his example.

Hubby took off and played with the guys yesterday, and left me home to play catch-up on the chores. I didn't make much headway since I was driving taxi service for the kids, so I'll have to work on that more today. He didn't get the hen pen made, so at least he won't be underfoot while I scrub the toilet and run the vaccuum. He'll be out cussing a blue streak while he attempts to refine his carpentry skills in less then ideal weather. ...Serves him right. LOL

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,824
Points 43,844
Eileen replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 9:57 AM | Locked

chocake2:

Last night I finally got the dino beads annealed and was able to string a bunch of charms and a few bits of jewelry. This is a lousy picture but here you have a pair of blue stegosaurus earrings and a red t-rex charm (This guy is kind of the Jimmy Durante of dinos. Check out that snoz!!) I'm having an awful time figuring out what to charge for them.

CC, your beads & jewelry are so fun! you are one very talented & creative woman :-) 

If people in your neck of the woods aren't willing to pay what these are worth, have you thought about Etsy? Maybe someone else suggested it already. If you don't know about it, it's a great site for crafters/artisans to sell their products. I've seen lace, jewelry, etc. on there.  Could be workth looking into. You really deserve to get what these are worth :-)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 32
Points 420
Dawn Peterson replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 11:21 AM | Locked

Thanks for the information.  I live in a really little town in Iowa where getting to a Jenny Craig is near impossible.  The closest is in DesMoines and t hat is a five hour drive.  Good luck on the diet.  I am going to the web site and see if they have a mail system available, but who is going to know if I cheat.  I would probably be better off with one of those TOPS deals.  They have one of those 20 miles away from here.  We own a farm with 110 acres and the dog and I go for a two hour walk each day in the woods.  It is all up and down hills with some roads.  This walking is helping a little with the toning.  I can get into pants again that  I couldn't before.  I want to walk with weights in my hands and do a workout as I go, but I have worn out shoulders.  I have to use steps to get up on my horse because I can't pull myself up any more.  The doctor keeps giving me steriod shots in them, but really insists that I have them done soon.  I don't want to do it now because it is summer time and I have way too much to do, and I don't want to do them in the winter because I might fall.  I can think up  a hundred excuses for putting surgery off.

Thanks again for the information, Dawn

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,760
Sukochi replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 11:42 AM | Locked

Dawn Peterson:
The doctor keeps giving me steroid shots

Dawn, It could be the steroid shots causing weight. I have a steroid inhaler for my asthma and am supposed to use it twice a day. After one week, I had gained almost 10 pounds. Years ago, I was on a hefty dose of steroids for a month. I swelled up from 148 to over 200 lbs in a couple weeks. My MIL didn't recognize me when we picked her up at the airport. Do you have the steroid round "moon" face?

At one time, my doctor put me on this sensible eating diet and I lost 40 pounds. It is simply this: For Breakfast: Oatmeal, homemade not prepackaged with preservatives.  Mid Morning snack:  About 10 almonds and about 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen berries, no sugar.  Lunch: Large salad made with field greens, no iceberg lettace (it is mostly water and has no nutritional value). Put any other veggies in it that you want.  Mid Afternoon snack:  Same as Mid Morning. Dinner: white meat, grilled, broiled, or baked. (that will incl. pork), another LARGE salad, and 1 - 2 cups green veggies, fresh or frozen. You may have :lite or non fat salad dressing the salads. No sauces or butter or sugar.  You get used to the "fresh"  taste of food and it is really good. Try it. I lost 10 pound of water weight the first week and about 5 pounds a week or more after that. If fact, I really need to get back on that healthy eating diet myself.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,770
Points 420,349
gini replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 12:03 PM | Locked

CC, your Dino's are great, are you watching it snow, too.  We seem to be having a blizzard.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,760
Sukochi replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 12:12 PM | Locked

gini:
We seem to be having a blizzard

Gini, we are having a beautiful, cool spring day.  I wish we were having a blizzard. Wanna swap weather?

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 12:43 PM | Locked

Gini

We are having a nice warm day in the 70s. 

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,535
Points 31,305
Diana replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 12:58 PM | Locked

My Mom did holiday dinners for years.  I took over years ago and did them when I still lived up north.  We moved to Tn. and a year later, Mom passed away.  Since DH and I are here and everyone else in the family is somewhere else, we no longer celebrate any holiday.  Each day is the same as the one before and after.  I cook every day so it's not a special thing.  If I want turkey and dressing, I cook it.  I make ham once a month.  I cook our favorites all the time.  I don't even know when most holidays are coming around except for the commercials on TV trying to sell more candy and junk no one needs.  Well, I guess I'll get off my soapbox...hehehe

Diana in East Tn. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,840
Points 55,670
Ginny replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 1:03 PM | Locked

Well Dawn,  I know that not everyone gains the water weight like Sukochi does,  I used to get steroids in my shoulder too, but my Rheumatologist told me that the injections affect the soft tissues also and it would soon come to the point that the surgery can't be done because of deterioration of that area.  I hoping to put it off til fall so I can golf this summer.   Ginny

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,171
Points 30,535
Ramona replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 2:18 PM | Locked

Thought I'd share a picture of what was up the street from where my daughter lives in Forney, Tx. Thankfully her and her family are all safe.

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 32
Points 420
Dawn Peterson replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 2:28 PM | Locked

I had heard that could happen.  I had some repairs done in '06, but in '07 it was really achy and I was limiting the way that I used it, not knowing I was, and so the rt went bad again.  Now, this is a different doctor, the other died, and he is really pushing me to get the left on fixed so he can do the right one again.  I am thinking that after fall, I will try to get it done.  Thank you for your help. Dawn

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,171
Points 30,535
Ramona replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 2:35 PM | Locked

Dawn and Ginny,

I've had both shoulders done and so relieved. Tough surgery but well worth it. Maybe not exactly the same issues as you've had. I have heard that the injections sometimes just postpone the surgery.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 32
Points 420
Dawn Peterson replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 3:06 PM | Locked

I think that a lot of the healing process is the therapy afterward.  If you don't mind me asking, what was the therapy that you did?  When I had the right one done, they had me lay on hot pads with some over it and then ran something like a tens unit over it.  I found more on line than I did in the therapy office.  I felt that they should have had me lifting a weight or something.  I ran my fingers up the wall to get motion back into my arm, then would make arcs to get the shoulder to move. I could understand the one going bad, but I figure out why they both went bad.  I guess that the left from training dogs and the right from the horses.  The Lupus may have helped too, but I think that the repeated actions with the dogs and horses are what had to do it.  Did they know why both of yours went bad? Dawn

Page 357 of 659 (9871 items) « First ... < Previous 355 356 357 358 359 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.