Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up To Today? #5

Page 230 of 659 (9871 items) « First ... < Previous 228 229 230 231 232 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9,870 Replies | 67 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 8:38 AM | Locked

I missed the Oscars. Our theaters are both more then 20 miles away. One is an old Roxy (remember those?) in near original condition...sounds great until you try to cram yourself into those tiny hard seats fro 2 hrs!  Movies only show on Fri & Sat, but the rates are good. Tickets went up to $6.50 for adults/$5 kids this year, and a "Roxy box" (small popcorn and soda)  is under $3...   Neither of them ever seems to get a new reliese until it's already out on disk, so the only reason to go is for the socialization.  As far as TV goes, I don't even know what's on it. Occasionally I watch a net-flix movie with hubby and the kids, but usually I just ignor it. I get a lot more done without it! LOL

Today I hope to get the house clean and tidy. Funny how messy everything gets with the kids home for the weekend. I REALLY need to clean the carpet, but that's a chore for another day.

Hubby came dragging in after a long day at work yesterday, looking like a whipped dog. I'd kept the cinn rolls in the warm oven so they were still steamy soft and gooey when he arrrived. Something told me that he'd be needing a mouthful of love after work.  As soon as I set a plate in front of him he wrapped me up in a big ol bear hug. Funny sweet man. Maybe I'll keep him for another 20 years...  Maybe.  ;)

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 8:42 AM | Locked

Maggie:

CC:   I am so happy you got a new toy to play with.  How long till we get to see pictures?

You do realize that your setting yourself up for the rest of this crew to bombard you with rotten veggies with a request like that, don't you? Can't you hear them shouting "Don't encourage her, you fool!!" ?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 9:07 AM | Locked

Well, I had a looong day yesterday, so I didn't want to "announce" much on here because I was so tired, but - my son, Kevin, had his THIRD book signing for his self-published book of "John Rocket" yesterday at Barnes & Noble.  YAY! We have had to go through hoops since Ocotober to get the B&N offices in New York to accept it as a "print on demand" for them, and then their buyer had to read it.  He did, and he liked it, so it is now available through B&N as well as Amazon!  Kevin sold 1 book 2 weeks ago, and 3 on Saturday in the Boulder store, but sadly none yesterday. It was a "kids" day, and about 50 kids were crammed into that store with their parents for a story hour. His book, although it is a "superhero" book, is NOT for children.  I had to tell him that this was still a good start, you know? His book is well written - and it was at B&N in February because February is Black History Month, and his superhero ("John Rocket" aka "Clarence Fairbanks") is a Black Superhero, because Kevin didn't want a sterotypical superhero, and it is mostly about Clarence and his LIFE and family, set in 1953 Colorado. He is more of a vigilante type of super-cop, with a back pack.  A really good read, too.  It just has violence and hard language, so Kevin "rated" it on the book cover as being only for those 16 and up.

THEN - on Saturday - in the middle of the day while I was wandering around the store in between Starbucks and the signing table - I got a call on my cell phone.  It was from an Attorney in Boulder, wanting me to come in for an interview! My little part time job at a real estate office is SOOO part time, I have been looking for work.  I sent an email to the head office of the college where I got my paralegal certificate asking why I was no longer getting job leads from them as promised when I asked for them.  I sent this on Friday, and got a call back from the head person saying she was going to look into it, and then I got a call back from an attorney who interviewed me YESTERDAY (yes! On SUNDAY) and I START WORK TODAY!!!  YAY!!!  Of course, it is also part time, but between the two jobs, I think I will have some money to spend outside food!  YAY!~  Anyway, this is just an FYI on what is happening to me.  Thanks for reading along....  :D

• | Post Points: 110
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 9:09 AM | Locked

congratulations on the job Bella!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 9:17 AM | Locked

Thanks, Patti~! Now I can stop crying and have pity parties....  I can breathe a little easier.  :D  And it's in BOULDER, not DENVER, and I am so sick of those big 17th street lawyers it makes my head spin!  This is a 2 attorney office, and the head lady who started it is making this a non-profit organization for those in the middle class to be able to AFFORD legal help, whether it is for a Will, or whatever.  She used to be the Assistant DA, and she did this right after she retired at 65 a few years ago,  She is a a lady of heart, who likes "older ladies" (I will be 60 in March).  I think I am going to love it!  :D

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 9:19 AM | Locked

Wow, this sounds like a great place to work. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 9:20 AM | Locked

chocake2:

Maggie:

CC:   I am so happy you got a new toy to play with.  How long till we get to see pictures?

You do realize that your setting yourself up for the rest of this crew to bombard you with rotten veggies with a request like that, don't you? Can't you hear them shouting "Don't encourage her, you fool!!" ?

You are too modest.   We all love looking at your work.  You are sooooo  creative.     My creative flow will be in sewing merit badges on DGS Boy Scout Sash -- sigh

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 9:27 AM | Locked

Patti:

Wow, this sounds like a great place to work. 

I hope so!  She said she got tired of big wig attorneys who demand $100 per hour when their paralegals do the work.  YAY!  I have been passed over for so many positions in "favor" of young, 20 year old women who don't have a college degree and who can't write a coherent letter to save their life, all because the hiring attorney is a male....  really.  I know the pay isn't going to be the $25 per hour that those "other younger women" are getting (far from it) but it will be HOME, you know?  And maybe I can get that OTHER part time job on the week-ends with JoAnn to feed my stash!  :D  I will be happy that I can eat without asking my ex for money, and also have a bit for my hobby...  :D

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767
Joyce Brenden replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 9:54 AM | Locked

Barbara:
This is the Nebula

Barbara--

Congratulations!  What a great name for the quilt and I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job with the pattern.  Can't wait to see your interpretation.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,406
Points 415,664
gini replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 10:33 AM | Locked

Bella, what an exciting weekend for you,  congrats to your son on his book, and congrats to you on landing a job.  WTG.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,406
Points 415,664
gini replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 10:40 AM | Locked

It must be spring,  even though it is nine degrees out,  the robins are back the flickers are here,and the first of the redwing blackbirds are here.  When I opened the blinds this morning, a flicker was hanging onto the seed feeder, totally still, I thought he'll died at the feeder.  After 15 minutes he started blinking his eyes and looking around, then flew off.   I think he fell asleep at the feeder, I wonder if he was there all night?   We have very blue skies over the pretty white snow,  it's a lovely morning.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 10:41 AM | Locked

I heard a interview recently with George Clooney. He siad for those who think it would be so wonderful to get into the Oscars, they are wrong.. He siad it is long and really boring!! Guess the fun is standing in the crowd outside sand seeing the dresses. Didn't watch it myself. Most TV bores me. Was doing my Bible Study during that show. Much better choice.

On Prednisone for my hives, which have run amuck again. The combination of the Prednisone and Benadryl keep me so sleepy that I am in bed all the time. About to go back there now.

Spud, sorry you had a bad day yesterday. I pray that this is the only bad day you will have. My thoughts and prayers with you.

Nan, my poor Maddie is just being tossed from here to there and that is so not fair. She is thriving with you. The court is stupid not to see that. You are right that you DS is dumber then dirt. Has he given up on the new girlfriend? MY prayers are with you. Do you know, yet, if she will be with us next month?

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,345
Points 28,435
Marsha-SM replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 10:51 AM | Locked

Thea:
So glad the storm systems are up north
North and now East - This is now Monday and I have not gotten anything but a little cleaning done since Thursday night - haven't even been on the computer!  Just saw I have 656 emails and am behind 12 pages here and 23 pages on "Have you worked on a Quilt today"  I felt so lousy all weekend - aches, pains, fatigue, etc. - that I just sat in front of the TV.  All this thanks to the storm systems you missed (at least I hope you did).  We had more snow than we have had at one time all winter and winds that found every hole in the house!  One of the Amish neighbors that Rich took to buy used roofing steel, now has to travel all over the neighborhood picking it up again.  He didn't put enough weight on the pile and they left like a deck of cards in a whirlwind!  They live on the top of our hill - about 2 miles up.  We are glad we live down in our hollow when these winds blow - when things move around here (and they did) we are thankful for the hills surrounding us.  Most of the wind travels from hill to hill over our heads - this time it found us as well.

I echo everyone else - get rest and document, document, document.  The more facts you can show the authorities, the better.  My brother wasn't that cruel with my father - he just ignored him unless he needed money or something he wanted - tools, etc.  He lived in the Chicago area and came out once a year to spend a week with his wife's family and spent a few hours at my father's one day.  Every time he left, something "disappeared" from the house. We didn't know when he was coming, so rarely saw him.  I didn't see him for at least the last 15 years of his life (he died a year ago).  I wish we had driven to Chicago to see them, but that is a long way to drive when you don't feel welcome! 

Take care of yourself and hug your mother for us.  If I had been in the same situation, I would have done the same as you did.  Best of luck in everything and block your brother's abusive calls - you don't need the stress!  You have his phone number, so you can keep him up on how well your mother thrives under your care!!!

Hope to Quilt today - Rich let me stay home today, although he has been on the phone 4 times so far!  I'll scan the posts here but read them better when I have time.  Need to get something done while I feel human again!

Marsha - Western New York

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 11:04 AM | Locked

YAY, Bella!! Congradulations on the new job!

Spud, please feel better today.

How are the skiing aches today, Gini?

Sukochi, I sure hope you get over the hives quickly this time.

Nan, I'm sure Maddie is doing the best she can to cope with the stress in her life. Try not to take her weekend witchiness too personally. It could be that she's directing her frustration with her mother at you because you are a safe outlet. You won't leave her if she acts out, and spending time with her Mom is sure to bring up a lot of anxiety.

My floor is vaccuumed (again); The potty is scubbed (why couldn't I have had all daughters??) ;  the shower is sparkly clean; the sink is toothpaste free... Now to tackle the kitchen. *sigh*  I've begun to think that my SIL has the right idea. She has a cleaning lady come in 2ce a week to tidy up after my brother and his dog.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 11:11 AM | Locked

Ah, thanks, Gini!  And I know Kevin thanks you as well!  I start today at 1:00, and I am so excited!  :D  (It's about time!)

Page 230 of 659 (9871 items) « First ... < Previous 228 229 230 231 232 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use