Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up To Today? #5

Page 228 of 659 (9871 items) « First ... < Previous 226 227 228 229 230 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9,870 Replies | 67 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 1:58 PM | Locked

Pamela:

Karla & La Juan,

Special diets can be overwhelming. Make an appointment to see a Dietitian, who can help you transition toward the recommended diet. Making small changes can have an impact, without having to be "yucky". It's really a lifestyle change, not a diet, that the doctor is recommending. A Dietitian can walk you through a plan that works for you and be an encouragement along the way. But, hubby has to want to make the changes. Health insurance with cover diabetic diet counseling.

We've seen the dietician twice in trying to make the transition, but DH is such a finicky eater...he doesn't have to woryy about going meatless, because he really doesn''t care for meat, but me, I'm a meat and potatoes person.  I think he is getting a little more serious, though, about the diet restrictions.  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,508
Points 48,175
Frances replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 1:58 PM | Locked

Maggie,

Im glad your backs feeling a bit better, i didnt read how you did it so me being me im assuming you either have a really good love life, or you were moving your fabric stash from one place to another.  Take it easy and take good care of yourself , hopefully someone is there to wait hand and foot on you all day.

We have had lovely sunshine this weekend, so hopefully weve seen the last of the snow (it looks really pretty unless you have to go out in it). So this morning i was in the garden feeding the birds and pruning 2 of the Apple trees, we have between 15 and 20 Apple trees most are Heritage Varieties, they look stunning when they are in blossom, i will post a picture when they are so you can all see.

Baked this afternoon, Mincemeat Pinwheels, Cheese and Marmite Pinwheels and Bread Pudding so the house is filled with lovely smells.

I finally made a new template, i had lost the Template for the Asian Quilt that i am making using English Paper Piecing so i found my Template Plastic and made another one, hopefully this will be the last one that i have to make.

I hope everyone has, had or is having a great day.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,220
Pamela replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 2:09 PM | Locked

Karla,

I've worked with lots of diabetics. Sometimes, it just takes time to accept the changes and be willing to eat differently, even with a finicky eater. A diabetic diet is really just about portion control and limited carbohydrates. Of course, working with food is my life, so it probably seems too simple to me. If things get tough and you need any advice, I'm here to listen.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 2:15 PM | Locked

I'm going to go online and look for some good "diabetic" recipes and maybe purchase a "diabetic" cook book.  Portion control is one of his big problems...he eats constantly, even though I have stopped buying any kind of snacks (to the grandsons' dismay).  You wouldn't believe the things he comes up with to snack on...the grandson's breakfast cereal, the saltine crackers covered in peanut butter, etc.

I babysit the grandsons 6 days per week and I really don't want to put everything under lock and key.  I buy them fresh fruit, but he sneaks it and eats it all....he's a foodaholic.  If I don't get him into a better regimen, he won't be around much longer, I'm afraid.  I am overweight and certainly could stand to lose  lot of weight, but he's hitting close to 300 pounds.  I'm really at my wit's end with him.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,220
Pamela replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 2:24 PM | Locked

Just remember, you can't do it for him. He's has to want to do it himself. Crackers & PB and fruit are good snacks, just sound like you need more around so the grandsons get it, too. Does he monitor his blood sugar throughout the day?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,952
Points 368,312
Kris replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 3:10 PM | Locked

Annie:
Am I being to selfish wanting to attend the workshop??

Annie,

I don't think it's selfish. Do what will make you happy if you can't do both.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,952
Points 368,312
Kris replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 3:23 PM | Locked

Thea:
Kris - you take the chance to run out of food?  I am petrified of doing that so have a well stocked larder and refrigerator/freezer (all full)  all the time...lol

I do Thea since I always find reasons to put off my trips to the grocery store. When I lived in VA I used to have my groceries delivered after shopping online. Cost too much to do that here.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,952
Points 368,312
Kris replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 3:27 PM | Locked

gini:
  always before, when my back went out i immediately laid down to get the pressure off.  it was days before i could even roll over in bed.  i needed help getting to the bathroom.   ( wendy,  with a stern look once told me she would help me to the bathroom but wouldn't wipe me, not that i asked for the latter, she was just setting the ground rules.

LOL Gini. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 4:31 PM | Locked

What fun! Hubby got me a new bead press. I've been out in the shop, playing with it while the cinn rolls bake. I succeeded in making a few interesting bobbles, and have seen lots of possibilies for more.

I wish I could brag on how good my baking smells, but alas, the warm  cinn/vanilla can't compete with the smell of fresh paint. The rolls seem to have survived the nearly forgotten yeast. They aren't as puffy as they usually are, but at least they rose.

DD's room is looking pretty darn good, altho her prgress is hindered but her tendency to bounce from one side of the room to the other with no particular rhyme or reason. Must be a teenage thing...   her furniture is all in a hap-hazard jumble.  She plans to paint the ceiling (which is currently a cold sky blue) next weekend.  She'll learn what sore achey shoulders are all about, but I know it'll brighten things up A LOT when it's done!

She brough her star quilt downstairs last night and slept on the sofa rather then breathing paint fumes all night. Now the boys are squabbling over her quilt...as if they don't have any of their own. LOL

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 6:25 PM | Locked

Well Todd goes for his drug test and such tomorrow.  He had a part time job offer as a janitor at LA Fitness and was supposed to go in and fill out his paperwork on Friday.  Shortly before he was planning on going over there, he got a message to call about the full time truck driving position he had applied for.  He played phone tag with the guy for several hours.  In the meantime, he decided to be optimistic that the other call was going to be a full time job offer so he called the fellow at LA Fitness and explained the situation.  The guy was really nice because if the truck driving job had regular hours that Todd could work around, he would have taken the part time job too, in order to rebuild their demolished savings.  As it is, the truck driving job hours vary and he has to go in really early.  The janitor position was 8 to midnight so there is no way he could do both jobs.  He is so relieved to be able to quit working for Celeste's brother for $8 an hour up in a bucket truck working on electrical wiring and such.  He sent me an e-mail last week about a job holding signs out in front of businesses that paid between $8.50 and 9.25.  He said "Isn't this pitiful?  If this job was around here, I could make more standing by the road holding a sign than working for Donovan!".  Then Donovan wonders why he can't keep decent help.  

The cats are funny.  They will go into the spare bedroom and just stare at David Jr.  They can't figure out why he is in "their room".  That is usually where Molly curls up in the afternoon - warming herself in the sunshine coming in the window.  Not that David wouldn't let her come in and lay on the bed if he is in there.  I am sure they will get used to the idea --- probably about the time he leaves for basic training in mid-April.  :o)     

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 6:36 PM | Locked

Gini, what a picture.  At least your grass would be well hydrated and fertilized.   

I went to a really nice park in Scottsdale today with my DD and DGS and their dog.   I walked around the lake there (about 1 mile)  Am taking ibuprofin and it helps.   As long as my back is straight its only stiff -- leaning forward or bending down are what kill me so I guess I'm lucky.    Haven'tdecided whether I'll call a doc yet or not, depends on how it goes tomorrow.  If I can I will go hiking in the a.m. but stick to the fairly flat areas.  Even though we're in the middle of a city we have some really nice mountain preserves that are just a couple of miles from home. 

Frances, you are close -- when we had some really cold weather a month or so ago I brought my sewing machine into the house.  Since we are now unofficially into Spring weather, I decided to carry it back to the garage but was too lazy to take it out of the cabinet - so I carried the cabinet (with the machine in it) out to the garage, I did okay till I stepped down - POP, than tried to pick up 40 pound granddaughter when she got hurt later in the day. Oh well.   Don't think she understood at all why gramma didn't pick her up and comfort her.

CC:   I am so happy you got a new toy to play with.  How long till we get to see pictures?

Sukochi and Karla, I hope your husbands both learn to accept their new nutritional needs.  It definitely isn't easy.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 7:10 PM | Locked

Fingers crossed that your son gets the job, Marge. If it'll make him feel any better, our county dump attendants earn more and have better bennies then my hubby does. I guess guarding moldy banana peels is more important then saving lives...

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 7:31 PM | Locked

Marge

I am so happy for Todd that he got his job offer.  Hopefully everything will go smoothly.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,465
Points 416,829
gini replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 8:04 PM | Locked

marge, i hope your son get the job.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 9:15 PM | Locked

Hoping your son gets the job Marge, fingers crossed.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Page 228 of 659 (9871 items) « First ... < Previous 226 227 228 229 230 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use