Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #5

Page 514 of 517 (7754 items) « First ... < Previous 512 513 514 515 516 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7,753 Replies | 72 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 1:34 PM | Locked

I finished the quilting on the baby quilt top last night, but I've got the boys today so I don't imagine I'll get the binding put on.  Right now I'm trying to get them through their baths/showers so we can head to Fallon.   Their mother called me yesterday afternoon and said that she had had this terrible stomach ache in the lower right abdomen all day and it wasn't getting any better.

I immediately went over and picked up the two older grandsons and told DSIL to take her to the doctor ASAP as it sounded like appendicitis to me.  They went to urgent care which immediately sent her to the ER.  After 2 CT scans they have diagnosed Colitis.  It seems during child birth she ripped a small tear in her colon lining, so they admitted her and are giving her massive doses of antibiotics because of a very high white blood cell count.  They said they may have to perform surgery.  They also haven't ruled out appendicitis either.

DSIL (actually they aren't married) is taking care of the baby.

If I could get the binding cut and sewed on I could take it to the hospital with me and hand sew it to finish it while visiting with her.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 1:35 PM | Locked

I am quilting my bargello.  For the first time, I am confident I will get this done.  Meandering hearts and loops for the center, and in the borders I will quilt Bible verses about love. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
chicagosinger replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 1:59 PM | Locked
Gosh Karla, I hope your DD will be alright! (I hope I'm right and that's who your referring to!) It sounds like she's in good hands, so I'm sure you don't have too much to worry about. Of course, when it's your child, how can you NOT worry, right? I hope you get the binding cut, so you can take it with you to the hospital. It'll help keep your stress levels down! Please keep us posted on how she's doing and know that we're here for you, if you need us.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
chicagosinger replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 2:02 PM | Locked
Patti, your bargello sounds lovely! I hope you'll post some pictures so we can all have the opportunity to see it as you work on it! Quilty hugs to you and yours!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 2:08 PM | Locked

Karla

Sorry to hear about your DD.  I hope that she improves quickly.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,902
Points 69,325
Bonita replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 3:13 PM | Locked

Karla, so sorry about your DD. Hoping all will be well with her.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 3:18 PM | Locked

Patti,

That sounds so nice. Can't wait to see it finished.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 3:20 PM | Locked

Karla,

Sending up prayers for you and your family. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 3:28 PM | Locked

I've loaded my first hand quilted quilt on the frame. I have never quilted one before and it's going so much faster than I thought it would.  I didn''t do the securing stitches down the sides like I usually do as none of the edges are even. It's working out ok. Doing a very, very simple meandering to get used to a hand quilted quilt.  Are there any tips out there for quilting one on the frame?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,902
Points 69,325
Bonita replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 3:49 PM | Locked

Yes, I'm working hard on the Round Robin border today almost finished. Trying to get it done before the storm gets here. We are under a TS warning here in Broward County. The weather is going to get nasty tomorrow night and the Keys are looking at a #1 hurricane. The darn thing is so big with the winds going out as far as a couple of hundred miles. They've closed the schools for Monday and PO will most likely be closed too. So no mailing Lille's block to Patricia Faye. Worst thing for us will be the power outage and for how long, it's been raing off and on all day so that means flooding in some low places. It could be a lot worse so counting my blessings. I'm sure you guys and gals on the west coast are keeping your eyes on Isaac too.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 467
Points 9,790
Pam replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 4:01 PM | Locked

I had a nice experienc e this a.m. and thought I'd tell you all about it.  

DH and I were in town to shop and we drove by a garage sale. I saw a sewing machine, a small sewing table and some folded fabrics next to them so I , Of Course, hollered "Stop! Turn around" and he knew immediately it was a quilting emergency and to not trifle with me!

I went over and took a look; machine was nothing great; table was ok; but the FABRIC was quilting fabric!

She had nice flannels, some shop quality cottons and the prices were right....I found a nice 3-4 yd. piece marked only $1 and I excitedly looked for more but alas it was the only one I could use.  After searching my purse, the car, and DH's pockets, I could NOT come up with a single, stinking dollar!

I started to talk to her and she said "Are you a quilter?" and I found she'd been quilting for 30 years but  had to move into a smaller home or apartment now that her hubby passed away.  She has poor sight and is now hand quilting only, since she had a few accidents with the sewing machine, and not a few scars on her fingers to prove it.  She said she was not doing as many as she used to- maybe 2 a year now; but in the past had managed to endow each person in her family with quilts, and also many close friends. She talked to me about her quilt life and how she was the only one left, of her many friends she had made in quilting bees, state fair guilds and best buddies. How she gave her grandmother's quilt to our  Museum since it had survived the pioneer trip from Missouri to Oregon in the late 1800's. At age 98 , she didn't think she'd be needing it any more.

I told her I'd be right back as I had to go to a cash machine to get my  dollar for my purchase so could she hold the fabric for me, please. She  answered,"Oh honey you just take it- a gift from one quilter to another... make a nice comfy quilt for your family out of it."

Just proves what I already knew- quilter's are the kindest, most generous people you'll ever meet. 

We shop at our local shops to keep them in business, we give our quilts away and when we meet other quilters we share our legacies and experience freely with them.

I wrote her address down and will send her something soon since she is moving in a few weeks.She made my day, hope she brightened yours a bit too.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 4:35 PM | Locked

Bonita,

Keep us up-to-date on the hurricanes. We have a place in Orlando, which I feel will be safe, but you never know. Since it's so big it's a very good thing it's not a hurricane #4!   I'm hoping we'll get some rain out of this in KY.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 5:19 PM | Locked

Pam,

Aren't quilters the greatest.  Pay it forward girl.  It's always so nice to talk to our seniors about their quilting experience. We will all be there soon enough. Their knowledge and talent just amazes me. They certainly didn't have all the wonderful tools we have today. I know you enjoyed your visit with her.  Some day we can pass stories on to the next quilting generation.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 6:02 PM | Locked

Pam:
Just proves what I already knew- quilter's are the kindest, most generous people you'll ever meet. 

Pam, I sit here with tears in my eyes, what a beautiful story.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 6:03 PM | Locked

Pam:

Pam, I sit here with tears in my eyes, what a beautiful story, thank for sharing it.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Page 514 of 517 (7754 items) « First ... < Previous 512 513 514 515 516 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use