Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #5

Page 513 of 517 (7754 items) « First ... < Previous 511 512 513 514 515 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7,753 Replies | 72 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,933
Points 233,972
Thea replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 12:29 PM | Locked

I call it Rainbow - lol - it is actually a quilt that has colors from yellow to orange to red to purple to blue to green - I made over 120 6.5" unfinished 9 patch blocks - then I cut not sure how many 6.5" black squares - I started in the top left with yellow and worked across the top with 7 9 patch blocks with black squares inbetween - to red at the top of that row - I used the same colors and gradiated across the quilt top till there is blue in the bottom left and green in the bottom right - the middle area is pinkish red and purple -

This is not my pattern - I saw this on Keepsake Quilting site - I have a ton of 6.5" 9 patch blocks left because of trying to get the gradiation just right you have left overs - and I am going to sew them together and put on with the backing fabric - which I haven't picked out of my stash yet - or I might make a big pillow from them - haven't decided - guess when I find the backing fabric if they will work with it then I will have that answer...

This is the 2nd quilt I have made that I call my Rainbow quilts - the other one had a white background - can't remember the block that I used for that one but was similar...

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 41
Points 1,835
BarbaraJ replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 6:16 PM | Locked

I finished piecing 2 Linus project quilts I started over the weekend.  The first one I started with 6" squares and I decided to go with 5" squares for the second one.  I was using up some Moda marble jelly roll strips I had and ran out, so I had to improvise.  Now to get them quilted, I usually send my quilts to be quilted by a long arm quilter, but I can't afford that for all the Linus quilt tops I have.  I'm thinking some straight line quilting on these 2.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,117
Points 411,059
gini replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 6:58 PM | Locked

ramona,  i made my own paper piecing templates,  they're off one direction just a smidge, i need to find it so i can tighten my seams in one direction.   i am using my featherweight and she's a good girl,  she doesn't eat my ends.   i do have to hold onto the top thread for the first stitch getting started or she pulls it to the bottom and makes a snarl along the seam.  with these tiny peices a fat seam can make the block a bit off (come to think of it, that might be why the blocks are a bit off one direction).   i am not making a queen sized quilt out of these, and i only need 64 blocks.   perhaps a few more for a border, but i'll wait and see on that.

i haven't had a machine eat an end when i am paper piecing.   my old singer and bernina were pros at that,  i don't have a problem with either of my vikings eating ends.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,567
Points 30,544
Kelley replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 8:35 PM | Locked

I need some advise... Please ignore my rotten picture, but.... I only have enough butterfly fabric left for a 3 inch border... should I skip it or will 3 inch look ok with such large blocks in top?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 10:48 PM | Locked

Kelley

I think a 3 in border will look fine.  Beautiful quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 467
Points 9,790
Pam replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 11:42 PM | Locked

heeheee!  My 2 cents worth....

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,117
Points 411,059
gini replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 11:55 PM | Locked

kelly, anything you do will look fine.  do you have any of the green left?   i would do a little green border, half the size of your butterflies, add the butter flies and the black for the binding.  but no borders will work just fine with this quilt too.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,567
Points 30,544
Kelley replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 6:14 AM | Locked

Thanks Nana... I am going through a purple/butterfly phase right now.. bought lots of different fabrics with butterflies...lol..

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,567
Points 30,544
Kelley replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 6:16 AM | Locked

Pam:
heeheee!  My 2 cents worth....

lol   Pam... Im having trouble with no borders... cause I always have borders...lol.. maybe I need to change my ways...lol..

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,567
Points 30,544
Kelley replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 6:18 AM | Locked

gini:
do you have any of the green left

I do have green left...

gini:
i would do a little green border, half the size of your butterflies,

thats a good idea

Thanks Gini

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,933
Points 233,972
Thea replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 2:15 PM | Locked

Kelley - I am not sure if a 3" border will work or not - to me - I think it would be too small - I would just not border the quilt at all - use the butterfly fabric for the binding and that will pull it all together.  Very pretty quilt by the way - I do like simplicity.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,933
Points 233,972
Thea replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 2:19 PM | Locked

I did not work on my quilts yesterday at all - it seemed that the pain kept interfering and today I found out where the pain was coming from - a storm came through and it was raining all morning...

I did get Rainbow pressed though and ready for the borders... now to lay it out and figure out this border thing...lol... I hope to have it done this weekend and go searching in my sewing room for something to back it with...

I am on block P of my Snowmen A-Z and so close to having that block done I need to just finish it - but again - hands are swollen - almost couldn't get my biggest size rings on - yep have rings for swelling of the hands - I normally wear a 5 1/2 but when my hands start swelling the 5 1/2 will not go on - so I hate not to have wedding rings on so I have ones that are 7 and 8s... today I barely could get the 8s on... a little lotion helped though - 

Quilty hugz to all!  Off to pay the piper for the work on the hot tub!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 467
Points 9,790
Pam replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 5:50 PM | Locked

In Salem Oregon they have a great quilt shop....Greenbaum's Quilted Forest.  They have a show in October called Quiltopia. This is the ad and quilt on it is awesome- the cat is so neat I had to share it w/ you all!  I also love the purple and orange used in quilt.....

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
chicagosinger replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 7:16 PM | Locked
Hi all! Haven't posted in awhile. Since the heat started up again, it's too hot to spend any time in the DR, which is where the computer is. Wow, Thea your work is stunning as well as everyone else's work! Pam, I hope you're planning on going to "Quiltopia". It sounds like fun! As for myself, I picked up this little kit a few weeks ago, on my 'Shop Hop' with Suzy. (Gosh, I had a blast! Suzy is sooo much fun to hang out with!) It's combining hand-embroidery and quilting, to make a wall hanging. It's really cute and I've loved trying my hand at embroidery! I haven't done anything like that since I was 13, and so far it's been fun! So...that's what I've been working on. Especially since my back and knee have acting up AGAIN! At least I can do this in bed! So far it's looking okay, considering I haven't done this in years and years and ye...... If anyone wants me to, I'll post pictures as I complete each stage. Oops, almost forgot, I'm having arthroscopic knee surgery on Sept. 11. It's more to take a good look inside, to see if I need knee replacement surgery or not. They'll also fix anything they can while they're in there, too! Finally, one step closer to hopefully fixing something that's causing so much pain! Although I'm a bit nervous about the surgery(I shouldn't be, I've had 6 on this stupid knee alone!), I'm also relieved. It would be really nice to have one less pain, after soooo many years! Gotta go, but I thought I'd say hi to everyone! And oh yes, a reminder to those who are making quilts for the halfway house I'm working with, October's not too far away! Supposedly it'll start getting colder by then. We do need to get them in before it starts getting really cold out(December or January). Thanks in advance to those who are helping! If anyone else is interested in making 2 quilts for a mens' halfway house here in Chicago, please let me know. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have posted on a blog, all of the info regarding this great cause. Just click under my screen name.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
chicagosinger replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 1:19 PM | Locked
Hello again! Very quickly, I did post a blog very early this AM. It's called "Info on Quilts for Halfway House" Please feel free to read it. Thanx!

• | Post Points: 35
Page 513 of 517 (7754 items) « First ... < Previous 511 512 513 514 515 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use