Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #5

Page 506 of 517 (7754 items) « First ... < Previous 504 505 506 507 508 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7,753 Replies | 72 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 432
Points 11,070
Donna replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 10:25 AM | Locked

Thanks everyone for the suggests,  Marie, I do like your idea,  I have some squares left and I think I will do this.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,568
Points 118,460
Judy Taylor-Bellingham replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 10:37 AM | Locked

Marie:

Donna:
So what do I do? 

Donna, I would slit it in half and add some blocks or a strip of fabric down the center.  Leftover blocks from the front would be cute.  Or strips of fabric the same colors in your backing.  

I agree with Marie. I've come to love pieced backs from leftover fabrics. It is difficult to get the backing lined up exactly, but I figure as long as it's close, it's good.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,348
Points 174,613
Marie replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 10:37 AM | Locked

You're welcome Donna, can't wait to see it.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,348
Points 174,613
Marie replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 10:42 AM | Locked

Donna, keep in mind the 2 - 3 inches all around that the backing should be.  You probably didn't need the reminder but I sure did with one of my quilts.  : )

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,328
Points 241,657
Thea replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 11:46 AM | Locked

Donna - your Monkey quilt is adorable and that baby is very lucky indeed.  I agree with Marie's suggestion to split down the middle and put something in there - leftover pieces from the front - extra blocks anything to go down the middle area - I love whole pieces for backing but I love piecing the backs to my quilts too - all depends on the quilt for me and what fabric I have on hand... most of my quilt backs are made up from the leftover pieces of the material I have from the front of the quilt.  

I started years ago buying 3 yards of fabrics I liked - before that I bought f/qs but when I got ready to use them in a quilt that fabric would be impossible to find as most lines are for one season - so started buying the 3 yards - so when I make a quilt now I have fabrics left over if I use out of my stash and I know me - unless it is a blue fabric that I absolutely love it will only go in that quilt - so I use them all up in squares for the backings... works great - 

And like Marie said - don't forget that 2-3" around the backing for that additional fabric LAers ask for ... 

I did work on 2 of my quilts yesterday - Sundays are the day when I like to not work on sewing and not house work... so although I did do some dishes most of the time was spent sewing... I am almost done with the hand embroidery on the K,L block on my Snowman a-z quilt and I have I think just 2 more rows to sew on the body of my Rainbow quilt - should be able to get them both done today - but there is the housework that has to get done first...lol... 

I am ready and sending out warm quilty hugz to all my QCA quilting budz!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,328
Points 241,657
Thea replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 2:51 PM | Locked

Update - lol - I finished the KL block and am now hand embroidering the M block - it is so cute - 4 mittens across a line made from a fir branch - almost done with the fir branch and the little needles - then to start on the mittens and lastly the big M followed by little ittens... 

I have not made it to my machine yet - when I get done with this branch - maybe - aching when I stand up - so have to wait till I take my afternoon pain meds - then when i am in that bliss state where they are doing as much as they ever do I'll head over to the machine...

Got the kitchen cleaned up except for the floor - still need to mop it today... argh - housework - I think I am going to hire a maid when we move to MN...lol

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 3:04 PM | Locked

Thea:

...housework - I think I am going to hire a maid when we move to MN...lol

Thea - You're moving to MN??? How did I miss that? No, don't tell me. I was probably off in QuiltLaLa somewhere! When is this happening and I feel so sorry for your aching body! One great thing about MN is they know how to handle snow up there and I found many, many places with underground (and some had heated!) parking.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,328
Points 241,657
Thea replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 3:19 PM | Locked

Sheila, My son and his family live in MN and do to some problems they can not move from the state - so when we went up for the wedding - DH had one too many 6pt Coors and with his Grand daughter on his lap asking her Poppa to move closer so that she could see him all the time - he said YES - and we were all bowled over - and he has stuck to it - we are moving in 2 years to Appleton MN which is on the SW corner of the state.  I am very happy because I really miss my son and want to be near my grand kids as they grow up - something I missed growing up - my Grands were very far away and I didn't really have any family life... so I want this and am very excited... My DDIL is already telling me about homes in the area that are going up for sale - but we have a lot of work to do here before we can in reality do it... so I am looking into contractors to come in and finish up all the projects my DH started on in this house... I am hoping to start that work the first of 2013  and get most of it done in 2013 -  there is quite a bit to do - ceilings need to be repaired where the damage came through before we got the roof replaced - and DH has torn the back bathroom apart and it will need to be redone - the little things like molding around the kitchen floor and the flooring done underneath the pool table... a couple walls he has put up need the final touches done with the taping and painting... 

But I am also hoping to have all our bills caught up that got so far behind when he was laid off for almost a year - so it is slow going but I see a light at the end of the tunnel for them - if only nothing more comes up between now and then...lol... I had a great plan when I was still on active duty for my retirement - it all fell apart with the market problems - and other health issues... but now it is all looking nice.

I am not worried about the snow in MN - I grew up in NY in between Buffalo and Rochester - we got hit with lake affect snows every year - so am used to that - I know when to hunker down inside the house... here we have the cold but no snow most of the time - I would rather actually have the snow... DH is worried about what kind of work he will get up there - so I am hoping that all our major bills except our mortgage are taken care of by then so he will have time to find a job that he likes... with following me around the world while in the AF he never had the opportunity to find a job that he could build time at so this isn't that much of a problem... just needs to be able to find a job - he can do most anything...lol

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,544
Points 23,325
Susie replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 3:24 PM | Locked

Wow, Thea!  What a small world!  I know exactly where Appleton is!  I have been pheasant hunting out there.   An ex's famiily is from Appleton.  It's a nice little town. 

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,008
Points 28,310
Ramona replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 3:28 PM | Locked

Donna,

You may want to make it more like 3 or 4 inches all the way around the quilt. If it's a baby quilt, you can usually get away with 2 or 3 inches but for a larger quilt, I'd keep it more at the 3 or 4 inches.  Keeps your LAer happy.  When we load them on the frame we have to have room for clamps on the sides of the quilts and sewing at the top. The 4 inches keeps us from running into the clamps and the pins at the top and bottom messing up the pattern and possibly our machine. It also keeps us from running out of backing fabric and a few other things. The larger the quilt, the more room it gives for issues to happen so the more appreciated the extra inches are.  It's just a few more inches of fabric and I'd rather be safe than sorry. Taking it off the frame and adding fabric isn't fun.  On the other hand don't add a BUNCH of extra fabric. That just gets in the way.  Sorry if I've gone on but hope I've helped.

Can't wait to see your quilt!! 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 467
Points 9,790
Pam replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 4:06 PM | Locked

Hey! I moved to Oregon from Rochester,MN! I also know Appleton!

BUT I don't miss MN at all....sorry!

Don't have to shovel rain... :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,328
Points 241,657
Thea replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 4:10 PM | Locked

Susie:

Wow, Thea!  What a small world!  I know exactly where Appleton is!  I have been pheasant hunting out there.   An ex's famiily is from Appleton.  It's a nice little town. 

I am pretty excited about the move - I keep that in my mind every time I start aching that soon I will have my little ones to hug and hold and take care of when Mommy and Daddy need a break - and a new little one on the way - the new baby will be just a little over a year old when we move up there - I already ordered blank stuff to embroider on my machine for the new baby - all white right now as we won't know for a while whether we are having a boy / girl - and Cassie isn't sure whether they want to find out or not...lol

Yes - Appleton is a cute little town - we went up and spent Thanksgiving there last year and the town had the cutest parade - all the businesses had free food and candy for the kids - was really sweet... we plan on going again this year as Jay once again is out of vacation and that week he gets the days off without having to take vacation...

I boobooed - thought I only had 2 more rows to go on my top - boy was I wrong - after doing 6 more rows and again thinking I was done I looked to my left and sure enough there was a stack still - lol - so I have now 2 more rows to go and I am really liking this quilt - lol - if I ever get the top done that is - after I get these 2 rows on I have to do the border...

well - laptop just said plug me in - so more later...

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 44
Points 895
Jennifer replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 5:06 PM | Locked

Thea,

I grew up in Attica, NY, between Buffalo and Rochester. My in-laws live in Minnesota, although they are way up north by Grand Rapids. He excited that you get to be closer to the grandkids. :)

Jen

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 44
Points 895
Jennifer replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 5:09 PM | Locked

I finished piecing the quilt top I started yesterday. I still have a ton of threads to cut and trim the edges so they are even. I'm not sure if I like it vertical or horizontal though. Here are two pictures so you have an idea:

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 44
Points 895
Jennifer replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 5:17 PM | Locked

Sorry, here they are, I hope:

• | Post Points: 65
Page 506 of 517 (7754 items) « First ... < Previous 504 505 506 507 508 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use