Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #5

Page 316 of 517 (7754 items) « First ... < Previous 314 315 316 317 318 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7,753 Replies | 72 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 8:46 PM | Locked

Agnes:
Winter of 1996-7 I had my first stash clearance in order to move the pastels out..

"Stash clearance" as in you had a sale of fabric or in you purposely used them all up quickly?  From time to time, I bag up fabrics I don't like any longer and donate them to the sewing projects at church.  I wish I could break myself of buying for the stash when I don't have a particular project in mind, but then I see a sale somewhere and I'm suckered in again.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 8:51 PM | Locked

Annie

Monopoly threads can be a real bear.  Try loosening your top tension a little.  Also make sure your spool of thread is vertical.  The thread feeds better that way.  If you have to put your spool horizontal put the mesh sleeve over it.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 11:45 PM | Locked

Ramona:

Annie,

I have tried three times to send you information on monofilament threads. I haven't used them much but thought a couple of sites would help you. I'll see if they'll post if I do them separately.

Good luck and I hope they are of help to you. Maybe someone else has some good information for you. I see Jeanine agrees with the tension and needle part too.

Ramona,

Thanks you so much for those links. Believe it or not, I tried another needle, changed the tension, tried different thread for the bobbin. The only thing that seemed to work is changing the bobbin thread to all cotton. 

I have another identical quilt to do, for my younger grandson and although I wanted them to be the same, I think I am going to use cotton thread for the top. I can get a better finish when I uses cotton. I just get so frustrated when I use monopoly thread I feel like crying. At least I know that I have tried everything you all have mentioned and then some. Maybe I am expecting too much. 

Just hate it when the last step of the quilt messes up. 

Thanks again everyone for you tips

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 362
Points 8,312
Tattinglady replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 7:17 AM | Locked

I'm finally working on finishing my Sylvia's Bridal Quilt.  It calls for 140 blocks, but I quit at 120, making 12 rows of 10 blocks each.  I looked through the book and did not do anymore of the Y seams.  They are really hard with a 6" block.  I'm trying to get my blocks sewn together so I can decide on a border.  I'll be so glad to get this one finished!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 7:52 AM | Locked

Nana:

Annie

Monopoly threads can be a real bear.  Try loosening your top tension a little.  Also make sure your spool of thread is vertical.  The thread feeds better that way.  If you have to put your spool horizontal put the mesh sleeve over it.

Nana - I agree with you about loosening the top tension. That worked quite well for me; however, I hadn't heard of positioning the spool of thread vertically. I'll have to try that next time. I've done several things with the monopoly with no problems (other than not being able to see the darned thread!).

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 7:55 AM | Locked

MNnancy:

Agnes:
Winter of 1996-7 I had my first stash clearance in order to move the pastels out..

"Stash clearance" as in you had a sale of fabric or in you purposely used them all up quickly?  From time to time, I bag up fabrics I don't like any longer and donate them to the sewing projects at church.  I wish I could break myself of buying for the stash when I don't have a particular project in mind, but then I see a sale somewhere and I'm suckered in again.

MNnancy - I'm usually pretty good about buying only for the project I'm working on but, then I started doing applique and ...BAM! Not a big enough assortment of fabrics. ~sigh~

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 7:56 AM | Locked

Julie:

Working on A quilt that ended up being 3! I had left over flying geese blocks from a donation quilt for Quilts of Valor. So made a few more blocks and finished the baby quilt for Quilts for Kids. Realized I had a few extra blocks so decided to sew them up and use them on the back. OMG...had enought blocks to made a SECOND donation quilt for QfKs! I really should keep track a little better when I start randomly sewing blocks. But its a good feelling. Fabric into finished tops and finished quilts w/b going to a worthy cause.

Wow, Julie!! You got a 3fer!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,259
Points 28,485
Agnes replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 9:10 AM | Locked

MNnancy:
Stash clearance" as in you had a sale of fabric or in you purposely used them all up quickly?

I sewed like a maniac! Hubby and I retired from the family business on Jan 1, 1997. We had purchased our retirement home summer of 1996, moved in and spent a few weeks there so retirement day was just a matter of travelling there with our clothes. It was anew beginning and carried over into my quilting. I haven't posted any of those quilts yet in my gallery.

Over the next decade I must say my stash exploded, particularly when son downsized the business and lost the craft/fabric department. All he couldn't sell on clearance came to me. Following that I had sales to friends and donated to charities. Last year I did a final stash clearance and since then have purchased for specific projects only.

Check out my stash as of this morning.This is a top shot of  my Stash Bin.Next shot shows the backing that I will be using on the current  Churn Dash throw,

This would definitely indicate that I have my own drummer. Currently I am looking at purchasing blacks and whites to use for a simple block design with the rose fabrics near the top of the bin, left side.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 9:28 AM | Locked

Lovely stash Agnes 

The problem with mine is that I never seem to use the fabric as it seems so dated. So I pretty much buy new fabric for each project I start. 

I guess I need to increase my charity quilt making projects. 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 35
blmcreyno replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 9:34 AM | Locked

I could have written this myself.  I retired last summer and my goal was to use up my stash (could make abut 40 quilts, etc).  And I have been doing that.  Just brought 3 back from the quilter  and have another 3 to take in.  I have completed 5 table toppers also (these I quilt my self).  I had about 12 kits.  Cut 3 of them out and am taking to quilt camp this weekend.  I too am trying so hard not to buy more--except for backings for all the quilts.  Why don't the manufacturers stop producing fabric for one year to get us caught up.  Like they would do that.

I have taught my 10 year old grandaughter to ssew and quilt.  And my 12 years old grandson just took home his completed quilt that he designed, etc.

I also find that some fabrics I bought 5 plus years ago, I don't like anymore.  I do give thee away.  Let's keep using that stash.

AZbarb 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 9:37 AM | Locked

Hi AZBarb Welcome to the club, sounds like you are not new at this , Its great that your Grand kids are intrested ,  I hhope you  will enjoy your time with us . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,259
Points 28,485
Agnes replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 9:39 AM | Locked

Annie:
The problem with mine is that I never seem to use the fabric as it seems so dated.

Thanks, Annie. They are what's left after many years of weeding out unwanted fabrics.

I find my tastes change really quickly. That is my big reason to no longer buy without specific projects in mind. I made a horrendous pile of charity quilts to weed the beautiful fabrics that had become uglies just sitting in stash. Until very recently black and white prints didn't appeal to me. All of a sudden., bang, I saw a very simple pattern where the maker used a very similar rose with b&w. I am hooked. Going to a quilt show this weekend where there will be a number of vendors. So  my hunt is on! I just have to play with my rose to see about borders and then figure out how many different prints of b&w I ultimately want. Means I have to finish piecing the Churn Dash today so I can play designer.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 11:17 AM | Locked

Agnes,

Happy Hunting for black and whites!  There are so many really pretty ones out there right now. I have to put blinders on when I go to the LQS!

I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone! I've only been quilting for only a few years now, since retirement gave me time, and I am amazed at the changes I've experienced in that short time. I started out making small quilts for kids charity organizations and stocked up on kiddy prints. Then made several larger quilts for the military groups and stocked up on r/w/b fabrics. Then found the Alzheimer's research group and started making 'adult male' themed quilts.  This past fall I made a dedicated run at clearing out all my kiddy prints and most of the flag themed prints by making some quick simple lap quilts.

I have been loving working with more masculine earthtones and fabrics without flowery prints, in simple straight forward patterns. But recently I find I'm being drawn toward more modern quilt patterns.  The 'less is more',  and what some refer to as 'modern Amish", quilt themes.  So not only have my color choices changed, but even the style of quilting has changed. And I think that's good! More of my artistic side is going into the quilts I'm making now.

My stash has grown considerably smaller, more focused on current works in process, or at most the next two planned projects ahead.  And I'm trying to sew up scraps into fabric blocks as soon as I finish a project. When I have several of those fabric blocks they get sewn together into a lap quilt all their own, along with any orphan blocks that have been created.

Thankfully, the Alzheimer's group doesn't mind that my style is evolving. They love what I send them, and they are able to find a participant that loves them, also.

I love and admire the traditional pieced, appliqued, PP, and embroidered quilts. I envy those who make them of their skill and ability and craftsmanship. But it's so much fun for me to not be locked in to a style, a theme, a color, or a gianormus stash.

Thank you, Anges, for leading the way to skinny focused stashes!

Max

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 624
Points 9,310
MaggieNae replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 11:33 AM | Locked

Does staring at fabric count?  I was going through my stash looking for fabric for MQVI and found I really have a lot of blues.  I also found about three or four yards of a Chinese print my mom bought me eight years ago.  I've been looking for a project for it.  I've done 12 quilts and have used no real pattern, so I always over buy fabric.  I've also been buying charm packs with no real intention for them yet.  I could probably put together another 12 quilts with what I have on hand.  I was also thinking maybe I should make an extra square of each quilt to save and put into a scrapbook quilt later on.  And I still can't decide if I want to use a blue I found on hand or the dark purple I have for MQVI.  I don't think the blue is right, nor is the Chinese print.  I may just stick to the purple since I couldn't get anymore of the white I wanted this weekend.  I think I'll go with the purple.  I know I like it with the brighter colors.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 2:02 PM | Locked

I am buy for the future.  I am hoping that what I like today, I will like tomorrow.  If not, I can cut them small and make scrappy quilts.

Page 316 of 517 (7754 items) « First ... < Previous 314 315 316 317 318 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use