Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #5

Page 232 of 517 (7754 items) « First ... < Previous 230 231 232 233 234 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7,753 Replies | 72 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 627
Points 9,325
MaggieNae replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 4:25 PM | Locked

OK.  I'm looking at the photo of the brown, beige and green strip/basket weave quilt.  How many different fabrics are you using?  If it's groups of 5 at 2.5" strips, you could also reduce the strips to 4 and use 8.5" strips.  This would give you 8" squares instead of 10".  I think you could continue following the directions from there.  Yes this would create more cutting and left over fabric pieces, They could always be turned into a boarder.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
chicagosinger replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 5:05 PM | Locked

Hi Margaret! Yes, it's the same pattern, and yes, it does call for 5 strips etc... So...thanks that's what I'll do, change things as you suggested. By the way, what do you think of the pattern for a bed quilt? I already figure you must think I'm nuts for tackling the project as a novice, but it's supposed to be for the "novice", believe it or not! It's going on my husband's bed (I sleep in a hospital-type bed 'cause of my back). His room is very dark, brown velour curtains, brown dressers, so I hoped this quilt as a bedspread would lighten the room up for him.  For the border and backing, I'm planning on using a dark cream color as I don't want it to be the only light color in there. The next project will be cream colored throw pillows with a similar design from the quilt in the center of each. What do you think?

chicagosinger

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 627
Points 9,325
MaggieNae replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 5:27 PM | Locked

I think it sounds awesome.  Everybody has to start with a first quilt.  This one doesn't look too difficult really.  I have confidence that you'll suprise youreself  at what you can do.  Remember when sewing your strips together to sew each one in an opposite direction.  I'm not sure what the magic of this is, but it will help to keep them straight and not "bending" in one direction.  I'll be offline until Monday, but I'm sure if you have any other questions you've got plenty of support here.  Remember to show progress of your quilt so we can see how you're doing.  Good luck and have fun.

Margaret

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 5:36 PM | Locked

Oh, Barbara - I like the fabrics you are using for your teapots! 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 5:37 PM | Locked

Judy - all three of your quilts are great!!!!!  You go girl --- a triple play! 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
chicagosinger replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 5:39 PM | Locked

Ummmm.... what do you mean "sew strips, each one in opposite direction"? Sorry, you must think I'm a real dingbat! Thanks for the confidence booster, though! Thanks especially for taking the time out to be there for me today. Hope you have a fantastic weekend! I will also definately post pictures as I progress.

Thanx again!

chicagosinger

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 5:45 PM | Locked

Oh poor Nana's sewing machine --- lost in a sea of quilt!!!   Nice quilting Nana. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 5:46 PM | Locked

Sheila --- very nice haul there.  We will be expecting to see some quilt tops now so get busy.  :o) 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 5:51 PM | Locked

Beth - I love you designs for the half yard challenge! 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 5:52 PM | Locked

"Moomby" - very pretty French braid - at least I think that is what it's called.  And cute little Sunbonnet Sue.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 6:01 PM | Locked

Thanks Marge ,that is form the fabric we did on the oriental fabric swap just a couple of weeks ago ,I love it for these teapots .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 6:03 PM | Locked

Well - I took the Scottie dog top to Jeanne today and she loved it.  She knows just the gal to sell it to - runs a local Scottie rescue group and buys all things Scottie!  I was able to finish up two tops for Jeanne today.  One just needed the borders.  The other I had to piece.  I had thought about taking it home to finish but Jeanne mentioned that she wanted to display that one for the Shop Hop and make up kits like it, so I wanted to get it pieced for her today.  I was the last one to leave but I finished.  Or should I say almost finished.  I ran out of bobbin thread ONE INCH from the end of my last seam.  Jeanne said she would finish that up tonight during the Friday Night Mystery group.  Next month, we will probably all be putting borders on for her.  Right now they are knee deep in preparations for the Shop Hop next Thurs. through Sun.  Then they have to get busy and quilt all these tops we have been churning out.  She thinks they have over 100 to quilt.  (Note to self - take binding tool to sew day next month!)

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,400
Points 415,559
gini replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 6:07 PM | Locked

Margaret Thall:
I'm not sure what the magic of this is, but it will help to keep them straight and not "bending" in one direction.

the presser foot side pulls the bottom  fabric slightly more than the top side is pulled.  if you sew every other side up  the keeps the tension even on the piece.   if you sew them  all from the same end,  you end up with a rainbow that is nigh impossible to fix.  it did make a pretty good sky , though.  i just cut it to size, left the arc in, and was pleased with the result.    that was a fluke.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
chicagosinger replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 6:35 PM | Locked

Hi Gini! OMG! You must've freaked out at first! Sounds like having a good sense of humor and having the ability to laugh at yourself are pre-requisites for quilting! Speaking of which, I was busing sewing my strips together (as suggested) and patting myself on the back  'cause it was coming out the way it was supposed to, when suddenly my machine just stopped.  I realized that I'd forgotten to put the presser-foot down first. Duhhhhhh! Oh well! What are ya' gonna do, right?

Thanks for the explanation!

chicagosinger

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 7:07 PM | Locked

Nana, and everyone here is a picture of the fabric I got today in the mail ..the fabric that looks blue is really purple .this came for 3 different places .. all on sale .under 5.00 a yard .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 110
Page 232 of 517 (7754 items) « First ... < Previous 230 231 232 233 234 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use