Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 85
Cathy Meyer Posted: Tue, Jan 10 2012 1:15 PM

My Grandmother married in 1931 in Kansas. As a wedding gift, family and friends embroidered quilt squares on flour sack cloth. The embroidery was done in the year before the wedding after their engagement was announced. Each person signed the square they completed... in embroidery! These squares are very delicate and absolutely beautiful. They have been kept in a box all these years and are in excellent condition. The colors are still bright and vibrant.

After my Grandmother passed away, my Mother ended up with the squares with the intention of making them into a quilt. And now I have the squares. My Mother and I want to put these together (finally) into a quilt top and then have someone hand quilt it.  

My question is.... how should we prepare these squares for quilting? Do we need to use any kind of interfacing or support of some kind ?

I want to make something beautiful and I would hate to mess anything up on these treasures.

Thanks for any suggestions, tips, tricks, knowledge!!!

Cathy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 1:16 PM

Cathy

Could you post a pic of the squares so that we have a better idea what you are working with.  It sounds like you have a very special heirloom.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 85

OK ... I will take some pictures tonight when I get home and post them.

Cathy

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Yes, please post pictures. We would all love to see your treasure.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,365
Points 242,482
Thea replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 3:58 PM

Cathy, After my best friend passed away in 2006, her daughter sent me some squares that were embroidered by Lori and asked me to make them in a quilt for her baby that her Mom had never got to see so that the baby would have something of Lori's - it was a very daunting task for me - I cried every time I got them out of the box to look at - I finally had some inspiration one night and decided to work them into a baby size quilt - I didn't want to cut them at all - 

I used a stabilizer on the back of each block to make sure that nothing I did hurt it in any way.  I used a stablilizer that did not wash out - I am pretty sure that I used a cut away stablilizer - it worked very well. 

You have a daunting task ahead of you - let your feelings guide your hands and it will turn out fantastic and a great memory of a wonderful woman!  Good luck!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,199
Points 16,075
Susan replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 4:36 PM

Cathy, Im so jealous, wish my Gm had left me some 1930s squares. I  love the 1930 repos but you have the real thing . Please post a pic when your all done. Good Luck with your treasures. What ever you do will be so special because they came from your GM. Susan

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 5:11 PM

Cathymeyer;

I would love to see your Grandmother's squares.  I bet they are very lovely.   Can you post some pictures for us to see.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 5:17 PM

Thea;

That was very moving.  I hope you get to complete this quilt and when you do, please post it so we all can see it.  Blessings to you.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use