picking out material

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 30 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
247 Posts
Points 3,580
Pat posted on Mon, Jan 9 2012 2:17 AM

I am very nervous about picking out material or even using my stash.....when i look at a pattern i am having a hard time picking the right material.....is this normal  Pat

Pat   From Canada

• | Post Points: 95

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 75 Contributor
1,534 Posts
Points 31,195
Answered (Verified) Diana replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 3:48 AM
Verified by Pat

Hey Pat,     Here's what I have found most useful in selecting fabric.    Find a print that you really like. This is your focus fabric.  Then check out those dots of color on the selvedge of that fabric.   That is all the colors used to print that focus fabric.   If you need a dark, pick out a dark dot and try to match it as close as you can.  If you need a medium, pick one of the dots in the middle and try to match that one.  Do the same for a light fabric.  That way the colors will always match up or correspond with each other and not fight.  Try it out.  People have always said they like my fabric and color choices that I use and this is what I do when I go to the fabric shop or my stash.  Works for me.   Good Luck

Diana in East Tn.    

• | Post Points: 100

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,534 Posts
Points 31,195
Answered (Verified) Diana replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 3:48 AM
Verified by Pat

Hey Pat,     Here's what I have found most useful in selecting fabric.    Find a print that you really like. This is your focus fabric.  Then check out those dots of color on the selvedge of that fabric.   That is all the colors used to print that focus fabric.   If you need a dark, pick out a dark dot and try to match it as close as you can.  If you need a medium, pick one of the dots in the middle and try to match that one.  Do the same for a light fabric.  That way the colors will always match up or correspond with each other and not fight.  Try it out.  People have always said they like my fabric and color choices that I use and this is what I do when I go to the fabric shop or my stash.  Works for me.   Good Luck

Diana in East Tn.    

• | Post Points: 100
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,347 Posts
Points 30,575
Agnes replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 6:45 AM

I totally agree with Diana's method. Here's my additional thought. Because the only time you will see the quilt up close and personal is when you are sewing it, after you have decided on the fabrics lay them on top of one another and step back 6 to 10 feet. Leave them on the table, walk away, come back. What is particularly good is if you can lay these somewhere that you can walk past them seeing them several different times before you make a decision. In my first class, I was told to leave them stacked overnight, If you are still happy in the morning, then start cutting. If in doubt about the amount of contrast, snap a photo and print it in black and white. not color. Your answer will leap out at you immediately.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 475

Excellent Tip.. I didn't know this and that will help when I make my next fabric selection.. Thank you for sharing your tip

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,402 Posts
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 7:24 AM

I also like Diana's suggestion and will use it.  One thing I have learned from this site and from the MQ's is that value is one of the most important things to consider.  Medium, light, and dark.  On one of the MQs I thought I had enough contrast  when the colors contrasted.  (they did not "clash" but complemented each other) However there was no contrast in value.  While each fabric was beautiful in itself, together nothing stood out.  When done, I had to search for the pattern, the stars were hidden when there was no contrast in value.  Also think of putting in a bright with something more plain to accentuate the beauty of the other.  I remember seeing a quilt at a show that had this very beautiful blue glow to it.  My first impression was that there must be a light behind the quilt to make that glow. It was simply the contrast in fabric value and brilliance.  The blue that glowed?  It was a simple solid light sky blue.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,322 Posts
Points 17,725

Diana, Thank you for the tip on picking out fabric colors, I also frett some times over this dilemma. Susan

Top 150 Contributor
Female
608 Posts
Points 12,765

What is MQ?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,133 Posts
Points 252,524

PD, MQ is mystery quilt. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,650
Jacy replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 9:40 AM

Pat:
I am very nervous about picking out material or even using my stash.....when i look at a pattern i am having a hard time picking the right material.....is this normal

Pat, this is very normal but you gain a little confidence with every quilt you make. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 9:57 AM

Pat I had the same problem! Diane hit it right on the money! Someone that worked in a quilt shop showed me this trick...probably because she got tired of spending 2 or 3 hours with me every time I picked out fabric. LOL!  But as others have said, with time you will gain the confidence and knowledge to pick material for a quilt.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,854 Posts
Points 85,760

Pat, when you go to your LQS, ask for help in picking out the fabric you need. Our LQS taught a Quilting 101 class. Part of it was how to choose fabrics that the pattern goes together, color-wise and print size-wise. Check and see if yours does. Or ask a quilting friend to help you. In fact, I bet there is a tutorial somewhere on the Internet.

Sukochi

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,771 Posts
Points 65,968

I throw out all rules you've learned about matching and coordinating.  Then I give myself permission to try new things.  I love to spend time just "interviewing" fabrics.  And then the fabric will talk to you when it is right.

And Diane's suggestion was good, too.  :-)

Top 200 Contributor
320 Posts
Points 4,485
Ally replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 1:51 PM

Great tip am going to start using this method, seeing as I always have trouble picking out colors!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
247 Posts
Points 3,580
Pat replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 2:02 PM

Thank you so much everyone, I have been given some much information and tips, I am already starting to feel better about trying to pick the material.

This is why i Love Quilters Club of America just for this reason. 

Pat

Pat   From Canada

Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use