50,000 names... make sure you have your kleenex available

http://home.comcast.net/~singingman7/TNOTW.htm

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Wed, Nov 11 2009 3:04 PM

Here is a photo of my favorite veteran, Second Lieutenant Jessie June Wheat. WWII army nurse, she was stationed in England and at a hospital unit that took in many of the wounded from D-Day.  The nurses donated their own blood until their health was affected and they had to stop.  It wasn't until I was working with Viet Nam vets that I asked my mom about her experiences.  She laughed and she cried.  She recalled coming home after the war was over.  3 weeks by boat to get home and the first thing they saw was the statue of liberty.  Everyone cried then. 

Thank you veterans all  for your sacrifice.   And thanks to the family members of veterans too.  You sacrificed as well.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,561
Points 246,162
Thea replied on Wed, Nov 11 2009 3:12 PM

Patti - that is awesome - my Grandfather landed on D-Day for WWII and my Mom was a wave although she never left the US. 

I lost a lot of friends in Viet Nam and have lost friends in Iraq and Afghanistan. 

I am proud of the service that I did and proud that today we still have so many willing to put their lives on the line every day so that we here in the great USA can walk freely down our streets.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 81
Points 1,425

Salute! I too have veteran family members that I recognized for their service and also becuase I couldn't do then, and I can't do now what they do to keep us all able to make our own choices. I pray that their service is not in vain and America wakes up and begins to fight to protect our freedoms. When tolerance of one group leads to intolerence of another we need to fight to keep the values our veterans faught for.

Patricia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 408
Points 6,479
Carol replied on Wed, Nov 11 2009 3:57 PM

Althea :

I thought you might like to go to a special site

50,000 names... make sure you have your kleenex available

http://home.comcast.net/~singingman7/TNOTW.htm

Althea, I went to the wall when my sister died in 1993. My father and his 2 brothers were in WW2 and I have a brother who did 2 tours in Nam. It hits home even though I didn't lose anyone close due to war.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,955
Points 368,357
Kris replied on Wed, Nov 11 2009 5:10 PM

Thanks for the link Thea.

Happy Veteran's Day to you and all others out there.

I forgot what today was until I left for work and saw a ceremony going on at the church in my neighbourhood.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,060
Nana replied on Wed, Nov 11 2009 7:39 PM

Thanks to all those who have served to keep our country safe.  My prayers go out to all those who are at war today and to their families.  This is a special day to honor all our Vets.  Salute and thank you.

It is also my youngest DD's birthday...I have always felt that it was special that her bd was on the same day that we honor our Vets...especially since both of her grandfathers served in WWII

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,561
Points 246,162
Thea replied on Thu, Nov 12 2009 8:44 AM

Yesterday was a nice day - the sun was out and it was glorious here - amazing how the little things can help make ones day.  i loved seeing all the tributes on the news channels to the Vets.  I know it is hard for a lot of Vets especially those that served in Viet Nam.  they came home to hatred for something that wasn't their fault - just a change in our society - Vets before and since then have been honored for their selflessness in keeping our country free and wanting to have everyone around the world have what we have.

I was glad to serve my country for 21 years and did have my eyes opened when I went to Croatia during the destruction of Yugoslavia - it amazed me that people could be like that.  it did make me stand a little taller as an American and what we are.  We are truly an amazing country and I truly want us to stay this way!

Thank you to all who continue to serve today to keep us the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave!  A great honor!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use