Paper piecing

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,161 Posts
Points 15,015
Dawn posted on Mon, Jan 2 2012 5:59 PM

would like to learn to do paper piecing, but am very nervous about doing, can anyone recommend a good book or video? 

Thanks!

Dawn

• | Post Points: 110

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,470

There is a class on paper piecing on Craftsy.  I'm enjoying it.  

I also bought a book called "Easy Machine Paper Piecing" by Carol Doak.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,446 Posts
Points 127,674

I don't have a suggestion on a book but there is a paper piecing group here on QCA you might want to check out.  http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/groups/paper_piecing_group/default.aspx

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,161 Posts
Points 15,015
Dawn replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 9:25 PM

Thanks Ladies!  Will check them out!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,446 Posts
Points 127,674

Your most welcome!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
Female
1 Posts
Points 50

You will get very detailed procedure from this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgr5JMxNfow

painters wellington

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
14,055 Posts
Points 251,237
Thea replied on Tue, Jan 3 2012 2:11 AM

Welcome to QCA Rodger - are you a paper piecer?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,657 Posts
Points 136,092

Hi Rodger, welcome to QCA

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,307 Posts
Points 20,790

Hi Rodger!  Welcome!

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Top 500 Contributor
Female
129 Posts
Points 2,280
Sherry replied on Tue, Jan 3 2012 10:31 AM

Nice to see guys joining the quilting world. My husband started (mostly finished) a denim quilt (queen size or larger) when he was going thru alcohol rehab over 20 years ago. He cut out a 6 inch piece of panelling as a template and cut out squares of old jeans he had never thrown out. Hand sewed them with HEAVY black thread (no quarter inch seams for him!). He has boarder pieces (probably 4X6) and has most of them added. He wants me to finish, but I said there was no way I could possibly sew in his unique style and that once he finishes the top I would get it quilted. So welcome,and I hope you use quarter inch seams.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,669 Posts
Points 138,175

Rodger Reed:

You will get very detailed procedure from this video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgr5JMxNfow

Thanks Rodger, I'll check it out.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 35

Carol Doak has some wonderful books and video instructions for paper piecing. I did a king-sized one that is wonderful and was very easy. All seams matched up beautifully!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Tue, Jan 3 2012 3:02 PM

OK!

I googled DWR on internet, printed pattern and started on first paper piecing.  Whew, 1/2 day later I had 1st section pieced, cut and just was so surprised at the difficulty, and pride at finally getting that one portion done.

1st a picture of my Ms Ella

Now for the pieced part and the start of the 2nd piece.  Boy this takes a lot of concentration, but this gal is proud of the first section of the DWR.

What am I doing?  I have 3 "White Christmas" to finish, the VB Retreat to do this spring, 10, no make that 13 quilt projects (yes I have the fabrics) yet to start and I'm working on a PP Project that takes 1/2 day just to do one small piece. 

I'm embarrassed to even tell you how many times i took those pieces apart.  I amazed they were even usable.  But is sure is pretty for all the work I had to do...who knows when I will get a table runner or even a pillow completed.

I will say one thing, it is an awesome sense of accomplishment just to complete one piece!!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Tue, Jan 3 2012 3:06 PM

Dawn get some of your scraps together and print out a pattern and go for it.  If they are scraps alls you can do is succeed, just for trying it.  What's there to be afraid of it's only scraps and time?  If I can do it anyone can do it.  I taught myself how to piece from books and Georgia Bonesteel on TV.  I can't bear to give away that 1st quilt I made, they can fight over it when I'm gone.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Tue, Jan 3 2012 3:08 PM

Joni

Your DWR is looking pretty.  You go girl.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use