Top 10 Posters

Craftsy Block of the Month class

Page 155 of 159 (2385 items) « First ... < Previous 153 154 155 156 157 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,384 Replies | 46 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 5:41 PM | Locked

Annie:

Had a lot of fun making these 2 blocks this month

Lovely Annie!  The fussy cut is perfect for this block!

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 5:48 PM | Locked

Claudette:

You are all such an inspiration to me!  I actually felt well enough to do a little sewing today.  I'm not really happy with how it came out, as I'm having problems with both my zigzag and buttonhole edge techniques, but I figure I can blame it on chemo brain and use it to record a life experience.  :)  If anyone has hints to share on how to properly applique with a buttonhole stitch, I am all ears - I really love the look but I don't know how to achieve a consistent edge.  Lucky for me I used a black background so the mistakes don't show up *too* badly.

So I finished a Dresden - only 5 more blocks and I can be caught up with you all.  :)

I like the looks of these Dresdens quite a bit.  I think once my life gets back to normal I would like to make a whole quilt of these with '30's repro fabric. 

I'm getting tired so I'm not sure I'll be able to get much more sewing done tonight, but I just had to share with you all.

Hope you are all having a great weekend! 

Beautiful Claudette.  I love the way the colors jump out of the background.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 655
Points 16,585
Brigit-Carol replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 5:52 PM | Locked

Wow, everyone -- great squares.  I really love all your colours. 

I'm playing catchup and worked on the wonky log cabin squares today -- May, I think?  The first one went pretty fast the the second was a bear.  I started out with the five sided motif as instructed, and by the end of the first round was at 4 sides.  Hmm--how did that happen?  Ah well, I just lopped off a corner to get back to five sides and by the end of that round was back to 4.  So I gave up and decided four sided was just fine.  It appears I can't do wonky except when I'm not trying.  Or maybe I should have started with flying geese!  I'm planning on doing the 9 patches tomorrow and will post a pic of all four at that time.  Happy quilting, everyone!

Brigit-Carol

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 5:52 PM | Locked

Claudette:

Ok, I lied... actually, I couldn't sleep, even though I was tired.  So since I'd already had my blades cut out for the modern Dresden, I sewed it up quick.  Again, not my best job, but I'm learning stuff so I guess that's something.  This was super fast, but I like the other style much better.  But I am now only behind by 4 blocks.  I feel like I really got something accomplished this weekend!

My apologies to Max... I really did have these striped blades cut out before I saw your block. 

So here's where I am so far...

I need to go pick up June and then do this month's blocks.  Thank you all for being such an inspiration to me this weekend!

Claudette, this is going to be a fantastic quilt.  WTG!  I'm lovin' it.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 6:02 PM | Locked

Debbie (Dainty):

Thank  you Mimi, The prayers are huggs are much needed.....Trying to do things a little at a time.

Here are my blocks. I got the hexi one done too. Went with flowers cause I wanted to work a bee into it. (Debbie means 'The bee'.) That block took me the longest. And my star block is a bit small. Will try to make up for it when I sash them.  The second pic is of the other blocks.

Debbie

Oooooohhhh I love the flowers and especially the bee!  Your double star block is perfect.  Your quilt is going to be terrific. Love, love, love it.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 6:09 PM | Locked

Belfrybat:

I told someone on here yesterday that I've delayed starting on the Eye of God square due to the fact I've never done flying geese.  Well, the current BOM double star has plenty of flying geese.  And all I can say at this point is my goose is cooked!  I need a lot more experience making these little buggers.  None of my points line up, and the whole thing is really wonky.  I will re-do it as fixing this one is beyond my abilities.  But, here are the blocks I have done to date (Jan, Feb, and Aug).  I'll be working on March the next few days.  Not sure I'm liking the dark background as I don't have a lot of bright colours, but I'm working with what I have.  If anyone has any tips on how to make flying geese so they are uniform and not wonky, I'll all ears!

Welcome to the group BelfryBat.  our block look great.  I think this will make a terrific quilt. Very cuddly and warm looking.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 6:13 PM | Locked

Greg:

August blocks.  I used some of the 'bonus' HST to make a 4.5x4.5 block.  I think I'll use it as a center piece to a 9 patch as a bonus block in the final quilt!

Love your colors Greg. Great job and a wonderful idea for the 'bonus' squares.  I too saved mine ;-)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 6:25 PM | Locked

Claudette:

Well, I got two more blocks done.  Still have to do the ones for this month, but at least I am "current."  Here's where I am so far - the blank spaces for the last 2 are currently filled in with a pic of my background fabric (Not sure it is to scale, but you get an idea of the pattern and colors.)

I tried a new toy this weekend and I just have to share.  I recently signed up for Kimberly Einmo's class on Craftsy, and she had a tool that of course I just had to add to my collection.  It makes half square triangles and flying geese very easy.  Mine came out extremely accurate, and I've always struggled with HST - through this whole course I've been making them bigger and then trimming them down to size, but I don't have to do that any more.  I'd suggest that those of you who are also having problems at least go check it out and see what you think - it's called "Easy star and Geese" by Kimberly Einmo - (I bought mine from Missouri Star Quilt Company a few weeks ago during their grand re-opening sale.) You can make up to 6" X 12" flying geese or 6" HSTs, both finished sizes.  Since the August blocks include some flying geese, I'll let you know how my new toy works with those as well.  So far I've been very pleased with the results.  I also like the fact that there are no wasted fabric bits with this ruler - it's all cut from strips (well, there's a bit at the beginning when cutting the geese but that's due to the angle they are cut at - the next one doesn't waste any as you flip the ruler and cut, kind of like those tube piecing rulers.)  Although I do have to admit, I love what Greg did with his "bonus" pieces!  (Really nice job, Greg!  I think these are my favorites of your blocks so far - but then you do have a lot of nice ones.)

I also have to report that I've finally figured out how to get a reproducible scant quarter inch on my machine!  (Up to now I've been guessing and hoping for the best.)  I have 2 different 1/4" feet for my machine and still didn't have the accuracy I wanted most of the time - everything was coming out just a smidge too small, no matter how careful I tried to be.  Last night I was playing with my machine and I found that with my regular foot and the quilting card for my machine, I can set it for 1/4" and then still bump the needle over a few spots further (I had to do three bumps over.)  But now I have consistent scant 1/4" seams and my blocks are coming out the right size.  I'm so happy!

Not sure if I'll get this month's blocks done this weekend - I would like to but I need a nap and the hubby and I promised each other today we would get some chores done.  Maybe tomorrow before I start feeling too icky I'll be able to finish up (with this whole chemo thing, I have treatment on Friday, which kind of wipes me out, and then Saturday I feel pretty well until evening and then it all goes downhill through Monday.)  But I'm pretty happy to have at least gotten caught up with you all - I still have several days left this month to get back on track. 

Please keep posting your block pics - they are really an inspiration to me!  On the days I don't feel well, I just come here and look at all of your pics and they cheer me up so much!

Hope you are all haveing a great weekend!

Such a happy quilt Claudette.  Great job as always.  The background fabric is great.  I'd love to have some for another project.  Can you tell me where you got it or who makes it?    You are in inspiration to me.  Quilty Hugs!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 6:28 PM | Locked

Judy T-Bellingham:

I finished the two August blocks. I love the fabric but should have used more contrast in the Ohio Star. This is the fabric line Calypso by Ro Gregg from Paintbrush Studio. I bought a whole stack of the fat quarters. I really wish I'd had it for the entire series. The fabrics and colors are gorgeous.

Great job Judy.  I really love those fabrics!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,724
Points 66,480
Bonita replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 6:47 PM | Locked

Wow Judy those are some beautiful fabrics. Love the little fans/ leaves not sure what but love em.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 899
Points 16,650
Patricia Faye replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 8:35 PM | Locked

Judy, love your blocks.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 8:59 PM | Locked

Judy T-Bellingham:
I finished the two August blocks.

Pretty blocks Judy.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 9:31 PM | Locked

Judy,

Wonderful blocks, and the fabric is spectacular!

Max

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340
Claudette replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 9:43 PM | Locked

Dara,

I got the polka dot fabric at JoAnn Fabrics a while back (in the premium quilt fabrics).  I think I've had it for a year or two so I don't know if they still have it, but it can't hurt to check.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,353
Points 174,683
Marie replied on Mon, Aug 13 2012 11:20 AM | Locked

GORGEOUS! Judy.

Millbury, MA

Page 155 of 159 (2385 items) « First ... < Previous 153 154 155 156 157 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use