Top 10 Posters

Craftsy Block of the Month class

Page 153 of 159 (2385 items) « First ... < Previous 151 152 153 154 155 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,384 Replies | 46 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,963
Points 368,547
Kris replied on Tue, Aug 7 2012 7:43 PM | Locked

Debbie (Dainty):
Here are my blocks. I got the hexi one done too.

Well done Debbie. I like your colours.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Aug 7 2012 8:40 PM | Locked

Debbie, your hexagon bee is really cute.  You are so creative!  Love your color scheme, too.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Tue, Aug 7 2012 9:21 PM | Locked

Debbie, that block with the flowers and the bee is the cutest hexagon block yet!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 724
Points 18,150
Brigit-Carol replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 4:02 PM | Locked

Well, I wasn't very inspired while at the store yesterday, but did pick up some sale fabrics from Hancocks.  So I finished January's blocks today and cut out February's.  When those two are done, I'm planning on skipping forward so I can work on August along with the rest of you.  I'll probably get very confused going back and forth on the months, but what else is new, heh?  I'm using a dark blue for the background.  I'll post pics when I get the six done. 

I did find fabrics for the Eye of God blocks I'm doing -- at Walmart yet!  The Abilene Walmart has a fantastic fabric dept., and 3/4th of it is devoted to quilt/ 100% cotton.  I found some really bright tone on tone for the crosses and a nice dark brown tone on tone for the background.  I really want to start working on that, but the skill level will be at my top end, so want to wait until I've gotten a few more quilt blocks under my belt.  Maybe next week....

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 4:41 PM | Locked

MaxNTopeka:
I struggle with working with HST (half-square triangles). I can just look at one and break out in a rash!! 

Max, you are in my club. HST make me shiver. I just finshed a block full of those buggers and I am SO gald it is over. I frogged until I almost croaked!!

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 4:44 PM | Locked

Belfrybat:
I did find fabrics for the Eye of God blocks I'm doing

B Bat, I copied that pattern from your link to it. I love that and will be making the Eye of God at some point too. Thanks for putting out that link. And, I'll show you mine, if you show me yours. :O)

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 4:44 PM | Locked

Belfrybat:
I did find fabrics for the Eye of God blocks I'm doing

B Bat, I copied that pattern from your link to it. I love that and will be making the Eye of God at some point too. Thanks for putting out that link. And, I'll show you mine, if you show me yours. :O)

Sukochi

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 724
Points 18,150
Brigit-Carol replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 7:09 PM | Locked

Oh yes, I certainly will (if it turns out half-way decent).  Otherwise... well, let's just say it never happened!  I've even got the first block cut out, but for some reason am really daunted by it.  The "flying geese" are scaring me since I've never done any.  Isn't that silly? 

Brigit-Carol

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 724
Points 18,150
Brigit-Carol replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 12:06 PM | Locked

I told someone on here yesterday that I've delayed starting on the Eye of God square due to the fact I've never done flying geese.  Well, the current BOM double star has plenty of flying geese.  And all I can say at this point is my goose is cooked!  I need a lot more experience making these little buggers.  None of my points line up, and the whole thing is really wonky.  I will re-do it as fixing this one is beyond my abilities.  But, here are the blocks I have done to date (Jan, Feb, and Aug).  I'll be working on March the next few days.  Not sure I'm liking the dark background as I don't have a lot of bright colours, but I'm working with what I have.  If anyone has any tips on how to make flying geese so they are uniform and not wonky, I'll all ears!

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,585
Points 51,795
Ginny replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 12:21 PM | Locked

Well, Belfrybat,  The picture onlinedoesn't show any problem with your points- at least I can't see any.  It looks great.  e are always our own worst enemy when it comes to judging our work.   Ginny

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 913
Points 17,110
Patricia Faye replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 1:30 PM | Locked

Belfrybat, I agree with Ginny.  Your blocks look great!  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 1:55 PM | Locked

Belfrybat,

I have always had trouble with flying geese, almost as much trouble as I have with HST.  Practice, practice, and a LOT more practice helped me with the Flying Geese. At least now they don't look like they were hitting the booze before they took off flying!

The other thing I have to be really careful about is "Pressing" the seams...not "Ironing" them (back and forth with a lot of action with the iron). Just carefully setting the seam, then gently flipping the top piece over and then PRESSING the seam toward the dark fabric...setting the iron straight down and lifting it straight up.  "Ironing" will distort the seams and stretch the fabric and make all your careful cutting and 1/4" seaming worthless.

I found as I improved my pressing technique my blocks improved dramically.

I really love your colors.  I make quilts for elderly male alzheimers patients. Those are colors they would just love!

And I, too, don't see horrible seam matching in your blocks....we are all our own worst critics.

Max

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 724
Points 18,150
Brigit-Carol replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 7:53 PM | Locked

Thank you, but the picture online is tiny and at an angle.  Believe you me, several of the points are way off, a couple as much as 1/3".   I'm going to remake this block later but I need to make sure I have enough of the background fabric to finish before I use more up to redo this block.I've finished one of the April blocks and have the spider web one started.  I really don't like her instructions for doing these.  I can think of a much easier way, but since I figure each lesson is supposed to teach something, I'll play her way.  I am learning a lot of techniques, and for that I am grateful.

Thank you for the hint about pressing.  I have a tendency to iron and I know that skews the blocks.  BTW, how do you quote a post on this forum?  I hit reply within a message but that doesn't do it. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,963
Points 368,547
Kris replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 8:42 PM | Locked

Belfrybat:
...here are the blocks I have done to date (Jan, Feb, and Aug).

I really like these blocks Belfrybat. The dark blue background is fantastic.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 111
Points 3,235
Greg replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 8:45 AM | Locked

August blocks.  I used some of the 'bonus' HST to make a 4.5x4.5 block.  I think I'll use it as a center piece to a 9 patch as a bonus block in the final quilt!

Greg E

• | Post Points: 65
Page 153 of 159 (2385 items) « First ... < Previous 151 152 153 154 155 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use