Top 10 Posters

Craftsy Block of the Month class

Page 95 of 159 (2385 items) « First ... < Previous 93 94 95 96 97 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,384 Replies | 46 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 12:40 PM | Locked

Judy

Your blocks are all looking so beautiful.  You are going to have an amazing quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,354
Points 31,930
MaxNTopeka replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 2:11 PM | Locked

Donna B--Thank you for sharing that site for printing out the hexagons. I was able to change the sizes we were given and it made working with them SO much easier. Thank DH for me.

Patricia Faye--Pretty blocks!  I like your sunshine on the summer grass.

Claudette--what is Zentangle?

Dara Beth--Love the pansy. The colors are so soft, and the pattern so different.

Judy-- WOW! Your new background color looks good with the first color. I think it will give your quilt a little more depth in the backgound. I am smitten with your quilt! Can't wait to see all the blocks together at year end.

Max

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,642
Points 61,800
Jacy replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 2:17 PM | Locked

Annie:
 Anyone else thinking about doing something other than the sun beams???

Annie, I'm working on the first block but I'm not doing the Sun either. I don't have any yellow or orange in my quilt.  Not sure what i'll replace it with, was thinking of using the 3/4" hexagon to make a few little flowers to place randomly on the background. Or maybe sew the green "grass" strip like they show and applique a couple of stems for my little hexagon flowers.  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,354
Points 31,930
MaxNTopeka replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 2:27 PM | Locked

Okay. I'll admit when I'm wrong!  I was NOT impressed with this month's theme. I groaned and I whined. But I am doing the BOM project to learn new things, get new ideas, and learn techniques I haven't tried before and probably wouldn't unless pushed. And to have fun. As I have worked on these two blocks I have found a whole new respect for EPP, and especially hexagons.

I found folding and basting those little hexs quite relaxing (theraputic maybe?). And when I was sewing them down on the background I was getting all kinds of ideas where I could use hexagons in the future. I've even sketched out a couple of serious diagrams for future projects. Plain, simple, without having to do hundreds of them. And bigger hexs so my hands can work with them easier and big enough to do with the machine.  These little fellers have real possibilities!!

I stayed with the first block, the strip, only changing the size of the hexs. The second block I changed completely.  I call it Tumbling Molecules. The two in the corner are spinning around trying to get together and find a third!   Max

• | Post Points: 155
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 2:48 PM | Locked

Max

Your blocks are really neat.  I love the spinning molecules.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,104
Points 110,180
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 2:58 PM | Locked

Great spinning molecules Max. Very artistic. I'm impressed, as I always am with your work.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 130
Points 2,520
JAP replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 3:21 PM | Locked

I love everyone's ideas for EPP blocks.  I think I'll do a Christmas tree and a snowflake.  I've started making the hexagons for the tree.  There are many videos on you tube that give some additional noteworthy ideas.  For those who do not like the hand sewing Fons and Porter (Jodi Davis)  demonstrates how to use adhesive fabric spray.  One video shows using freezer paper.  At first I didn't like EPP, but I'm beginning to enjoy it.  I can see how it will be useful for some creative decorations on my quilts.  I'd be surprised if I ever make a whole quilt using EPP...well, maybe a baby blanket.  Thanks to Amy and Craftsy for inspiring me to try new things!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,798
Points 352,027
Kris replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 3:37 PM | Locked

Granny M:
I watched the video today and click on class instructions and got sent to something about google and wanting my password.   the craftsy password doesn't work so I have no idea what password or why this is coming up this way.

Granny M,

If you have a Google account that's what you use to download the PDF. It's in a Google Doc. Many people use this to offer downloads.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 3:41 PM | Locked

I really like your blocks, Max!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,290
Claudette replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 4:56 PM | Locked

MaxNTopeka:

Claudette--what is Zentangle?

Basically, it's drawing doodles.  It can be very relaxing and sometimes even meditative.  I do it when my mind needs to relax (sometimes I have problems calming down after a long day and Zentangle helps me wind down so I can sleep.)  You can read more about it here: http://tanglepatterns.com/zentangles .  Here's one of my earlier pieces...

I like it because it's abstract, doesn't have to "look" like anything, and fairly easy to do.  No expensive supplies required (although of course you can buy some if you like.)  The purists do it in black and white with shadings of grey pencil, but a lot of people add color too.  (Then they call it "Zentangle inspired art.")  :)  I tried my first color piece last Friday and liked it so much I scanned it and made a bunch of laminated bookmarks - see below...

It turns out that coloring them is quite fun.  But the black and white ones can be really nice on their own.  The main thing is I find it relaxing, doing the repetitive strokes.  The site I pointed out above has lots of designs to help one get started if you want to play.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,290
Claudette replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 5:04 PM | Locked

MaxNTopeka:
Okay. I'll admit when I'm wrong!  I was NOT impressed with this month's theme. I groaned and I whined. But I am doing the BOM project to learn new things, get new ideas, and learn techniques I haven't tried before and probably wouldn't unless pushed.

Max, I could have written that myself!  I, too have found that EPP isn't as bad as I had thought it would be.  I did try a few other shapes, but I had problems with sharper angles, and didn't find those as much fun.  But for hexegons, it's kind of neat!  Still a little more time consuming than I'd like, but I could see making a little pouch of them to work on at the Dr.'s office and such.  Not bad in front of the TV either.

I really do appreciate learning all of these new techniques through this class.  Some I may not do again, but to have had the experience is awesome.  I'm fairly new to quilting so this is a good way to "test the waters" on some new techniques and see if I want to explore those more.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,406
Points 61,965
Bonita replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 5:59 PM | Locked

Judy T, love the new blocks and the deeper gold really sits it off.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,406
Points 61,965
Bonita replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 6:02 PM | Locked

Max, every time I look at your blocks I'm impressed with your work. Great idea on the molecules.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,406
Points 61,965
Bonita replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 6:08 PM | Locked

Jacy:

Annie:
 Anyone else thinking about doing something other than the sun beams???

I got my hexes basted and pressed today while the grandbaby napped. I don't want to do the sun beam either so I'm planning on a large sunflower in the middle.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 844
Points 15,655
Patricia Faye replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 6:09 PM | Locked

Max, love your blocks. You are very creative.  They do look like spinning molecules!  It's always good to learn new techniques to expand your knowledge.  Keep up the good work!  Enjoy seeing your creations!

• Filed under:
Page 95 of 159 (2385 items) « First ... < Previous 93 94 95 96 97 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use