Top 10 Posters

Passing Along the Love of Sewing

Page 6 of 6 (84 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 83 Replies | 32 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

I know I started sewing in 4H and hopefully they have continued to teach this.  This early introduction at age 8 set me on the path to sew my whole life, I started quilting 3 years ago because I waited until I retired.

Having said this I think we need to reach the young children to build an interest in sewing, it is to late to wait for the 20-30 somethings because they are busy with a career and do not have time to work in sewing on a regular basis.  Once you become a mother unless your a stay at home Mom your time is really streched as well as the budget. 

One way to target the young children would be for us that are retired to teach sewing through our community programs.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 465
Points 33,845

This past week I made it to my Bee for the first time in well over a year. It was at an Irish Pub (okay, yes, I was the only one to have a Guinness) so there wasn't much show and tell. But what was unveiled was a nine patch made by students at a local grade school. The ladies in my Bee have been doing a quilting project with the kids for a few years now. And yes, they reported how much the kids LOVE it! 

~Jodie

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,825
Nana replied on Sun, Dec 13 2009 11:56 AM

Jodie

That is awesome.  I think that more guilds should get involved in children projects.  So many places have no one else to help teach children about sewing.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,485
Points 362,207
Kris replied on Sun, Dec 13 2009 6:13 PM

Jodie, that's so cool. I like it when kids sew. They're so enthusiastic.

Guild meeting at Irish pub, what fun. I really miss being part of a guild.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

I started to quilt when I was 10 we tied them.  My aunt mary & my mom would go thru all the closets and grabed stuff beyound mending. They cut the cloths up sewed squares and put the quilt on a frame.  Our quilts were tied.

They used crochet threads,measure 1/2 way across,cut thread big needle,start pulling thru,when you came to an intersection,you went twice , then you kept going.at the ends of that row  you cut the thread in the middle between intersection,and tye.

My first lessons were in "82" but my first love is applicate.                         MJH

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55

I have 3 "adopted" granddaughters that I am hoping to pass the quilting bug on to, as of now they do not show a lot of interest, but I have hope.  I also have a grand niece that show interest.  I guess what I am saying is that we should look at our family both close and extended and see if there is anyone boy or girl we can pass this passion on to.  I also have a couple of grandsons who show some interest.

Maybe in our churches there are boys or girls who are interested in learning this art.

linmid@yahoo.com

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,253
Points 239,992
Thea replied on Thu, Feb 4 2010 12:34 PM

linmid - I try to pass along this "bug" every chance i get - teach a little here a little there... interest them in picking out the fabrics for their own quilts - when I am with them show them how to use a needle / scissors/ rotary cutter...

I think it was much easier for my Mom to teach me - she didn't have to contend with TV and internet... just my books...

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 130

I have 12 grandchildren. 7 of the 10 can sew, indeed want to sew. The 19 year olds are Threadbanger devotees. They can U Tube instructions for zippers, threads, long arm quilting... the works. The 12-15 year olds are into fast projects, and prefer to design, and the littlest at 5 picked out a sewing machine that can sew with a button pushed, not just with  a foot pedal because her legs did not reach the floor, and she and I were determined to have a machine set up for her to practice on.

I wanted my sewing genes to be passed along, and did not sit back waiting for schools or 4 H or Brownies to take over the responsibility for me. I willingly supply whatever their  needs may be, machines, suppies, magazines for inspiration, quilt kits already packaged, whatever it takes to keep them working. They are much more involved with a sewing machine,  producing art work, renewing / reusing thrift store finds into far out fashions, they have "no rules" and indeed, are happy enough if their designs just don't fall apart. 

The need for this craft to remain valid and "cool" is to get behind the movement for renew / reuse / recycle and create new uses from the old throw away stuff. The "I made this"  slogan fits with the "Just do it" mentality of these young people.... so each person has to encourage it in their own circle... and the BIG GUYS have to feature this too.... 

pam stayner

Sloughhouse Ca

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,360
Points 414,984
gini replied on Thu, Feb 4 2010 7:41 PM

pam, good for you.  i have my 5 and  7 year old grand kids in my studio as often as possible.  they love to be involved with my sewing         gini

gini in north idaho

Page 6 of 6 (84 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use