Batting

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy posted on Wed, Dec 21 2011 11:24 AM

I am writing this post for my son who spent 2 hours debating batting with me yesterday. (He does not quilt).  He believes that the thicker the quilt, the warmer the quilt. Finally I told him I would post a question here so he could see the answers for himself.

Which is warmer low loft cotton batting or high loft polyester?

What kind of cotton batting can you use to make a quilt thicker?

Why not use 2 or 3 layers of batting to make a quilt thicker?

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
622 Posts
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 11:55 AM

WOOL, of course! And I mean the THIN stuff - 1/4"  or so,  And you can find that info on line....

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,849 Posts
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 12:42 PM

DItto, WOOL

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,402 Posts
Points 415,614
gini replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 12:52 PM

wool is probably warmest.  you can use more than one layer of batting,  i've done it.  the more layers you have the harder it is to quilt.  i tied those quilts.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,402 Posts
Points 415,614
Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 1:01 PM

A lot of people equate weight and thickness with warmth.  Quilts work the same way as clothing. Layers and captured air pockets.  Poylester batting captures a lot of air but it does not wick away body moisture and disperse it as does cotton.  Ask your son to put on 2 100% cotton t-shirts and a regular shirt. walk around  for a while. This will mimic sleeping under a cotton batting quilt. Then have him try 2 100% polyester t-shirts and a regular shirt.  Again walk arould  for same length of time under the same circumstances This will mimic sleeping under the polyester batting quilt.  Now ask him which was the most comfortable.  Warmth will may about the same. As for comfort, If he sweats at all he will choose the cotton.

However, Bella & JaJuan Schochie Lee are right WOOL is really the best for warmth and will wick away moisture as does cotton.   A quilt with wool batting is even comfortable in the summer because of the wicking action!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,339 Posts
Points 241,892
Thea replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 1:13 PM

I have always found sleeping under a quilt with 100% cotton batting - not real thick to be way warmer then sleeping under a polyester comforter.  I do agree that the wool batting would probably hold the most warmth but as I am allergic to wool have never tried it.  

I use Dream Quilt batting and the Select thickness - 100% cotton - they do have some others - one that is thinner that works well for table cloths or summer quilts called Request.  They have wool, silk (which I have heard is very warm also) and poly cotton blend.  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,348 Posts
Points 36,945
Linda replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 3:00 PM

I almost always use Warm and Natural or 100% cotton batting since I'm allergic to wool. One layer is plenty warm. When I'm hand quilting, I get very warm under that quilt regardless of the season!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 5:43 PM

Thank you all for responding! I can't wait to show my son tomorrow!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 9:38 PM

Joy

I have found cotton battings to be as warm as any polyesther that I have ever used.   I do have one extra heavy quilt that I use in the winter.   It has 2 layers of batting and is backed with a narrow wale corderoy for extra warmth.   It is also very heavy in weight.  But my DH and I both like a really heavy quilt in the winter.  It makes me feel all snuggled and comfy to sleep under a heavy quilt.  I guess that comes from having a childhood during the time when there were either feather ticks or several quilts placed on the bed in the winter.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,280 Posts
Points 28,950
Agnes replied on Thu, Dec 22 2011 7:25 AM

Nana:
I do have one extra heavy quilt that I use in the winter.

My extra heavy and stiff quilt has a thin polyester batting and is heavy and somewhat stiff because of the very dense beautiful quilting the long armer did on it. I use several quilts so that  one of us isn't freezing or the other one isn't boiling. I climb into bed and immediately peel back at least one, if not two quilts and sleep under the other one. I too can't say there is much difference between the cotton or the polyester batting when they are originally about the same weight . I did find the loftier polyester batting warmer than cotton but two layers of cotton would put them on an even playing field. The warmest quilt we ever used was the one pieced with fortrel dress weight fabric, extra thick polyester batting and flannel back. It also weighed a ton and didn't drape well around the body. MIl was using dresses and it was lime green and purple, not my color choices in the least.  

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060

Hello Joy and DS. I live in south Texas, were we get cold from AC in the summer and get colder yet as soon as the temps drop under 50. LOL anyway I use only warm and natural/ white in my quilts. Recently there was great discussion about the dream battings and some one mentioned the bamboo batt. I do believe in cotton for all seasons, and I am looking into using the dream batt for a baby quilt, also staying in TX. For your location would determine what weight you need your bed or throw quilts. I would suggest that you contact someone who does long arm quilting in your state to find what she/he has request for mostly just to see what is best for your climate. I stay away from any polyester batting for the simple reason I don't like the hand of it, it picks my skin and there for I don't use it at all. If I am putting the work into a project then I use the best I can afford for th interior. I have no experience with wools as again we just don't need that here in TX.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Fri, Dec 23 2011 9:32 PM

I don't care for polyester either. We live in NC so the climate not bad. The quilt on our bed is king size with warm and natural cotton batting. We use it year round. It just seems to breathe in the summer and keep us warm in the winter. Guess I'll see what my DS thinks now! LOL!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use