Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 635
Carol Posted: Mon, Dec 19 2011 3:40 PM

I was fed up with chasing my sewing machine foot pedal across the linoleum floor. The more I sewed, the further away it got. My leg just wasn't long enough.  I've heard of using rubber drawer liner or that mesh you put under mats to keep them from sliding, but didn't have any of either on hand.  So I took my computer mousepad and put it on the floor, put my pedal on top and voila!  It works like a charm. I have an old mouse pad with a soft surface so the pedal doesn't slide on the mousepad and the rubber back keeps the pad from sliding on the floor. If your mousepad is hard on top, fasten your pedal to it with velcro. Remember to keep your pedal directly

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,547
Points 417,049
gini replied on Mon, Dec 19 2011 5:43 PM

that's a good idea, mind wanders under the edge of the cabinet and then stitches without me.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 100
Points 2,120
Cathy replied on Mon, Dec 19 2011 6:18 PM

I'm on my way to my sewing room right now to anchor down that wandering foot!!

Cathy

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Great tip, mine wanders as well.

Margaret

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,446
Points 38,565
Linda replied on Mon, Dec 19 2011 7:33 PM

What a fantastic idea! Can't wait till I get home in the spring to try it! Thanks for the idea.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Mon, Dec 19 2011 7:44 PM

great tip.  Thanks.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

The rubber drawer liner doesn't work all that great.  My foot pedal still wanders away from me even with that.  I will have to try the mouse pad trick.  Maybe the drawer liner doesn't work for me because I have carpeting??? 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 649
Points 12,665

Marge (AKA Dimples):

The rubber drawer liner doesn't work all that great.  My foot pedal still wanders away from me even with that.  I will have to try the mouse pad trick.  Maybe the drawer liner doesn't work for me because I have carpeting??? 

Didn't work for me either as I have hard wood floors, so far a car mat wedged under my sewing desk works the best. Hey if you sit in exactly the same spot every time you sit down to sew lets glue those suckers down to the floor..lol just a thought, sorry extra tired tonight.

dee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,846
Points 248,979
Barbara replied on Mon, Dec 19 2011 9:21 PM

I had the same porblem so now I just suse my start stop button, took care of that. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Dec 19 2011 10:29 PM

Barbara:
so now I just suse my start stop button, took care of that

I have a friend with a Janome who uses that button instead of a foot pedal, too.  I just can't imagine sewing that way.  I should have watched you closer when we were in Iowa.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Mon, Dec 19 2011 10:49 PM

Barbara

I have tried using the button but when I turn loose of the fabric to hit the button my seam goes off in its own direction....LOL>   Guess I am not as coordinated as you.....

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,530
Points 31,115
Diana replied on Tue, Dec 20 2011 7:01 AM

I solved that problem by using some heavy duty clear tape(package tape) and made a circle of 2 pieces.  One to put the foot on the mouse pad and one for the mouse pad to the carpet.  Them buggers don't go anywhere. I got real tired of chasing them all around and I don't have any fur babies to help out either in my quilt room..

Diana in East Tn.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,846
Points 248,979
Barbara replied on Tue, Dec 20 2011 7:09 AM

Nana:
Guess I am not as coordinated as you.....

Nana, I just praticed on some sracps for a short time till I got the hang of it , didn't take long. and I really find it so much easier ,now that I don't spend all my time chasing that foot pedal. I hope you can get it wrked out it reall is great . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 7:29 AM

Barbara, I bet your glad I mentioned that start stop button to you now lol, I use mine all the time too. I keep my speed set at the medium speed so I have better control.

[Ava, Missouri

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use