Top 10 Posters

Sewing machine quandry...

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 84 Replies | 14 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
33 Posts
Points 415
Tanya posted on Sat, Dec 17 2011 8:28 AM

I recently had both of my singer sewing machines die on me...I love to quilt and play with the fabric. Now all i can do is look at the fabric. I have been searching for a new machine but have no clue what I should go for. I want something easy to use, multiple stitches, lettering and can easily handle multiple layers. Both of the machines that just died are Singers. the one the motor just quit, the other i was told had gears shear off and it would be cheaper to replace than to fix.

I need people to give real opinions on singer, brother, janome, juki, baby lock and any other machines. I am going stir crazy with out a machine!

HELP!!!

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Dec 24 2011 12:46 PM

WOW PAT sounds like you have a great dealer  I understand the problems of space i have run out of it .I have no more cabinets for  fabric and have taken over the love sofa with fabric.  and I still have 4 shopping bags full with no palce to store it.  Oh well I will get something figured out someday LOL Barbara..

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,334 Posts
Points 241,792
Thea replied on Sat, Dec 24 2011 12:54 PM

I'll send you my address Barbara - be glad to store it for you!  teehee

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,232 Posts
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Sun, Dec 25 2011 11:23 AM

dtka95 - Welcome! The best advice I got when I was looking for a machine was to buy from someplace close that serviced the machines, too. Best, best, best advice! I had a Janome dealer and a Pfaff/Babylock dealer close. When I went to look at the Janome's, I waiting over 20 minutes for someone to help me and no one did. Obviously, this says nothing about the machine but, it says a lot for the service! I went to the Pfaff/Babylock shop and was immediately helped by 2 people and, in fact, they knew of a used machine coming in that would fit my needs that was going to be comparable to a new one but at less than half the cost. Long story short, I got a Pfaff Creative Vision (quilt & embroidery) with a 1 yr shop warranty. I'm absolutely thrilled with it. The Pfaff has a built in walking foot that isn't cumbersome to use. Make a list of your Have to Have's and then a List of your Nice to Haves and go from there.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Dec 25 2011 11:38 AM

WOW Shelia that was a great deal ,To bad about the Janome dealer ,I have never had that problem here . Sounds like someone was not doing their jobs .. but I'm gald you got a machine you love. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
78 Posts
Points 1,100

Congrats on the new machine, I know you'll love it!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,422 Posts
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Sun, Dec 25 2011 4:30 PM

Annie:

I would also love some advice.

I have 1 machine - a Viking Lily, about 15 years old.  Although it still works ok, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles as the newer ones do - I would also like a machine with a wider throat area.  One can never have too many machines, right?  trying to convince myself to get another one, but don't know which one to go for and what good price is?  

I use it mainly for piecing and quilting and would love to get or make a drop in table for it.

Any advice is so appreciated!!

Hi Anne, I have the Viking Lily 555 bought about 10 years ago.  Has 4 alphabets, and about 120 stitches, and needle down option..  I'm pretty sure I have every foot they make for it and I do love it but would like the thread cutter, knee lift, foot sensor, wider throat, etc.    I have never had it in the shop and it runs great.  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sun, Dec 25 2011 4:59 PM

Maggie,

my Lily is a 545, and I don't think it has as many stitches as yours.  I have quite a few feet but still would like those extras we mentioned.  I just feel like I'm being frivolous replacing a machine that works perfectly well...

I'll have to go play with new machines and then go into sticker price shock.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Sheri A.:
We must be around the same age.  I sewed on Singers in Home Ec.  I also bought a Singer in the late 70's and hated it.

Marlene and Sheri, I LOVED my Singer Touch and Sew purchased with babysitting money after using one in Home Ec (early 70's).  It ran dependably for 30+ years.  I almost cried when we moved because I had to leave the sewing machine since it was mounted into a counter in the laundry/sewing room - anything built in stays with the new owner.

That's when I bought my Bernina 440QE.  I love that now, too!  I've heard that the new Singers are not of the same quality as the old.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,422 Posts
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Sun, Dec 25 2011 8:03 PM

Annie:

Maggie,

my Lily is a 545, and I don't think it has as many stitches as yours.  I have quite a few feet but still would like those extras we mentioned.  I just feel like I'm being frivolous replacing a machine that works perfectly well...

I'll have to go play with new machines and then go into sticker price shock.

Annie, you have the same machine my sister has.   It does have fewer stitches, but not by much.   I ha ve 6 menu options with 26 stitches for each option.  Funny story, my sister and I bought our machines and started quilting the same year.  Neither of us said anything to the other about it until a couple of years later.  (She lives south of Houston and I lived in Southern California at the time)  Somehow, we always got into the same crafts and hobbies at the same time.  We are only a year and a half apart (she's older hahahahahaha). 

I started with a Viking 350 and traded up.     I do like the Viking products -- I test drove a Topaz and I loved it, but too many other things have to come first.

Good luck finding a new machine -  Maybe you'll find a great deal too!

Not Ranked
Female
9 Posts
Points 60

Andrea,

Check the Singer site posted below. This Anniversary machine is being released in January and will be sold for a limited time.

Also, if you have any older Singer machines..you can enter the serial number and get a certificate stating the year it was made. (I have 3 really old ones) Kinda fun having the certificates to go with them when I decide to sell!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Dec 28 2011 5:09 PM

Thea:

Annie, I got a Janome 6500 - it isn't there newest one on the market but the throat space is big enough so that I am able to quilt any size quilt - and I mostly do queen/king size quilts - but I can do them without having to really fluff and stuff like I did with the smaller throat space of my Pfaff... I would really think about what machine you want - mine do have a lot of bells and whistles on them and I would say I have not used 80% of them nor ever will... 

You don't have to have all those specialty stitches unless you think you will use them... That was one of the reasons I went for the 6500 rather then their latest one on the market - got a really good deal on it too as it wasn't the latest one out.  like the 2009 car on the lot in 2012 - they want that car gone so they can get newer stuff in - same with sewing machines...

Thea,

I just came back from a sewing machine store and was able to see both Janome 6500($1495) and 6600($1995).  They also had Pfaff Quilters Expression 4.0 ($1995).  Do have any advice on these machines ?  I have only owned 2 machines in my adult life, so I don't have much experience to foresee any potential drawbacks.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Dec 28 2011 5:11 PM

Anne

I have the Janome 7700 and really like it.   I have also heard lots of good things about the 6600.  I feel sure that you would love it.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Dec 28 2011 5:18 PM

Nana,

I forgot that I did see the 7700 Horizon for ($1995) but I was surprised that they didn't have the pivot function.  Do you think the pivot feature is a deal breaker?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,453 Posts
Points 40,785
Answered (Not Verified) Mimi replied on Wed, Dec 28 2011 5:58 PM
Suggested by Mimi

dtja95,

I have had all the Janomes you mentioned at one time or another.  I have loved all of them.  I miss the sturdiness of the 6600 with its metal body and I also liked the secondary motor that wound the bobbins.  You didn't have to stop to get a new bobbin wound.   I currently have the 7700 and it is growing on me.  I do adore the 11 inch harp for when I quilt as compared to the 9 inch opening on the 6600.  I don't think the 6500 comes with the attached walking foot does it?  I can't remember exactly but I do love my machine and haven't had any problems with any of them.  Hope this helps.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Dec 28 2011 6:02 PM

Mimi:
I currently have the 7700 and it is growing on me

Mimi,

Your thought between Janome 6600, 7700 and pfaff  quilters expressions 4.0???

• | Post Points: 35
Page 4 of 6 (85 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use