Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 42
Points 1,035
Alicia Posted: Sat, Nov 7 2009 3:15 PM

Hi! I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Alicia, and I live in Anchor Point Alaska, which is about 200 miles south of Anchorage. My husband and I run a boat launch business in the summer, and in the fall and winter I quilt. :) I started quilting as a "tween" when my mom and I took a log cabin class together. Then I gave it up until I was 16 or so, and I started a buckeye beauty quilt, which I finished in 2005, just oh, 10 years after I started it I guess. I learned to sew as a kid, and hated it, until I figured out that I love to quilt, but I don't like to make clothes (I'm always disappointed they don't look the way I pictured/wanted). I really got into quilting as a way to avoid having to watch college football/basketball, which my family is very in to.  Now I just love it! I would say I'm self-taught, maybe advanced beginner level. I only do machine quilting/sewing because I get very impatient hand sewing/quilting. One of the things I love most about quilting is being able to see and feel what I've done with my time, and of course working with the beautiful fabrics and patterns. The pictures are of my last 2 projects. The top one is bear paws (made from scraps), with a center panel from a pattern called "Elusive Wanderer". It was my first applique, and I've very excited about it. The mountain is batik fabrics, and is appliqued with holoshimmer thread, in a silvery/iridescent color. The second quilt I made for my mother in law for Christmas last year, from Eleanor Burns' "Still Stripping after all these years" and some beautiful purple fabric that I loved!

Other than quilting, and running the boat launch, I am a personal care attendant for my mother who is disabled (lupus). I have 2 dogs (1 black lab, 1 german shephard/chesapeake mix), 1 cat (large, long haired, and has to lay on whatever I'm working on), 3 goats (had 9, long sad story, now I have 3), 35 chickens, and my husband and I live in the downstairs apartment in my parents house. I love to read, cook, scrapbook, and quilt. I guess that would be how I would describe myself. I got my mom involved in the mystery quilt, and we're both making one, which is fun, we haven't sewn together in years. I've had so much fun on here already, and am really excited about improving my skills, and getting to know some other quilters! :)  Alicia

• | Post Points: 215
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Welcome to the QCA forums, Alicia! Good to hear you and your mom are also participating in the MQ!

I really like both quilts you showed us but especially the moose one. I've never heard of holoshimmer thread. Did you apply it by hand (I'm guessing not because of what you said earlier) or by hand? It really adds a great dimension to your quilt!

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Sat, Nov 7 2009 3:26 PM

Alicia

Welcome and I am glad that you are enjoying the site.  I love all these ladies they are so friendly and helpful.  My DH would love to see Alaska.  I think it is a beautiful place but I prefer warmer temps...LOL.

Your bear paw quilt is gorgeous.  I love the quilting that you did on the mountains.  It looks like the moon is shimmering on snow..beautiful.  Your second quilt is also very pretty.  You do great work.  You will find that a lot of us are self taught quilters and do a lot of things by trial and error. But our ladies are very knowledgeable and can answer any questions that are thrown out.

Again welcome and hope to hear from you frequently.

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sat, Nov 7 2009 3:27 PM

Wow Alicia,

both quilts are so very beautiful.  And welcome to the site. 

Alaska is one place I have always wanted to visit.  All my family have been there, and my sister had her own boat and fished commercially for several years.  But I have never been. 

I live in Eastern WA, in the foothills of the Cascades and we get a lot of people who move here from Alaska.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Alicia and welcome to QCA.  Your quilts are beautiful. It is great that you and your mom are doing the MQ together what fun.

I've not heard of the thread you mentioned either, I guess I'll have to do a search and see what you are talking about.

Again, Welcome and thanks so much for posting the pictures, I really enjoy seeing what everyone is doing.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 553
Points 11,305
Gagoo replied on Sat, Nov 7 2009 6:21 PM

Hi Alicia,

Welcome to the Club. You're quilts are wonderful, love the colors.  My husband and I have always wanted to go to Alaska.  He has a thing about "The Deadliest Catch". He will watch reruns all day (if I'd let him!) lol.

Enjoy the Mystery Quilt, glad to see you are doing it with your mom. It will mean so much more.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526

Hello Alicia and welcome to QCA.  And I'm glad you and your mother are doing the MQ.  We'd love to see your fabrics so if you get a chance would really like to see some pics in the MQ thread.

I also started out by making clothes but was never happy with the results.  Then I found quilting and that was the end of my attempts at making clothing.

I'm lookiing forward to hearing more from you in the posts.

Southwest Florida

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 408
Points 6,639
Shelia replied on Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:21 PM

Hi Alicia and welcome to QCA.

Your quilts are beautiful.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,686
Points 248,737
Thea replied on Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:53 PM

Hi Alicia - nice to meet you - I love both your quitls - they are beautiful.  My empathy goes out ot your Mom - I have RA and MPS - one of my b/f's has RA and Lupus.  It is a horrific disease but they are handling it better now.

I am glad that you joined in the MQ - it has been and continues to be a lot of fun!  I have a friend here in Enid that used to be up there in Alaska with you.  She is a avid quilter here. 

again welcome to QCA and thank you so much for introducing yourself.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:58 PM

Alicia

I keep coming back to look at your moose quilt.  It is gorgeous.  I feel like I am almost standing there with the moose.  Awesome job

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 42
Points 985
Renaye replied on Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:58 PM

Hi Alicia,

Welcome to the site.  Your quilts are wonderful.  Your purple is so special.  But your "bear paws" is very unique also.  You will enjoy the site.  Be sure to explore and have fun.  Again, welcome.

Renaye

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:12 PM

Alicia,

Welcome! Thanks for introducing yourself and sharing the photos - these are lovely. I really like the colors you chose. The light background shows off the Bear Paw colors and the blues & purples in the other quilt work so well together.

As you might have noticed, there are tons of forum postings on QCA. I'm sure more people would love to see your quilts, so if you want to share, click on the "Show and Tell" link in the green bar near the top of your page. You'll see instructions & an e-mail address for sending in photos of your work.

Hope you and your mom "hang around" with us some more. There are so many friendly, funny and gifted people here.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 173
Points 3,945

Alicia,

Welcome to QCA!  I love your quilts! 

I have never been to Alaska, but someday I would love to go! 

My grandmother tried to teach me how to quilt when I was in middle or high school, but I didn't want anything to do with it.  About 5 years ago, my aunt Judy (you'll see her in these forums) got me back inot it.  Although I started my Masters Program shortly after tha, I set it aside, yet again.  I started back up earlier this year when my cousin and his wife were having another baby.  I had sometime on my hands, so decided to get back into it.  I have since taken a log cabin class and have found many (too many!) quilting projects to work on!  Oh well!

Again, love the quilts and Welcome!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077

Hi Alicia, and welcome, your quilts are very pretty.

Leslie

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sun, Nov 8 2009 8:13 AM

One of the things I really like about this site is you can click on a picture, once, get a close-up, and then again and get even closer.  It makes it easy to see your thread work on the moose quilt, and it is so beautiful. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use