rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
8 Posts
Points 115
Evelyn posted on Wed, Dec 14 2011 9:05 PM

Hi

My Name is Evelyn and I recently started quilting.  I just finished quilting my first four patch quilt with stitch in the ditch.  While it has some mistakes it is coming out quite nicely and I am very proud of it.  I quilted all blocks but am stuck on the borders.  How do I quilt the borders before I bind it. it is a four patch quilt with  2 1/2  inch and 4 inch border and am stuck on what to do with the borders.  I would really appreciate some ideas.

Evelyn

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,844 Posts
Points 248,954

Evelyn,welcome to the club,  You can cont inue to use your walking foot and do a big ziz zag pattern down your borders ,the are easy and look pretty good . I did that on my first quilt. You will want to set your points first so you know how far to go ,that depends on what size you make your ZIg Zags. I hope I'm explaining that right ..  I'm sure you will get more suggestions ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,545 Posts
Points 417,024
gini replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 10:36 PM

hi evelyn, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 12:35 PM

Hi Evelyn! Welcome! Congrats on your first quilt! you can continue your stitch in the ditch lines through the borders. Its quick, easy and looks nice. Here is a link with a ton of free information that really helped me when I first started quilting.

http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.com/VictorianaQuilters/Library/Library.htm

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
8 Posts
Points 115
Evelyn replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 3:11 PM

Joy

Thank you.  That site is absolutely fantastic.    Every beginner should go on I think  it will be a great help to me too!!

Again thank you.  I am still on the fence about how to quilt my borders but will probably go with your suggestion in the end. :)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,226 Posts
Points 16,495

Welcome, Evelyn! Good for you ! Jumping right into quilting so quickly. You,ll have to show us the finished quilt in the gallery. Hope you enjoy your time here with us. Looking forward to chatting with you . Where are you from???  Are you getting addicted to quilting yet?  Susan, Jacksonville, Florida

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
649 Posts
Points 12,665

Joy:

Hi Evelyn! Welcome! Congrats on your first quilt! you can continue your stitch in the ditch lines through the borders. Its quick, easy and looks nice. Here is a link with a ton of free information that really helped me when I first started quilting.

http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.com/VictorianaQuilters/Library/Library.htm

Joy thank-you for sharing the link, looks like a great site to have in my bookmarks.

dee

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,537 Posts
Points 21,100

Evelyn welcome to the group.

Margaret

Not Ranked
Female
8 Posts
Points 115
Evelyn replied on Fri, Dec 16 2011 10:01 AM

Thank you. 

Not Ranked
Female
8 Posts
Points 115
Evelyn replied on Fri, Dec 16 2011 10:08 AM

Thank you

I plan to quilt the border and bind it this weekend so I can ship it to my mom so I'll post pictures before I ship it to her in Florida.  I am so enjoying my time with you,  you have all welcomed me so warmly how can one not enjoy.  I too look forward to chatting with all of you too!  I am from Rockland County New York and am so addicted to quilting that I am finishing up my first quilt, am piecing a similar one for my mother in law and already have my next three planned and purchased the fabric for two of them already.  The fabric for the 3rd one is proving a little more difficult.  I have a dear friend who is retiring at the end of the year and loves to fish and the sea so I am on a manhunt for some masculine nautical/sea fabric and it is proving to be a little harder, but I'm not giving up.

Thank you all and wish me luck on my projects and my fabric hunt!!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,595 Posts
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Fri, Dec 16 2011 3:14 PM

Evelyn, just google "fish fabric" or "nautical fabric" online and I'm sure you will be able to find just what you're looking for.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use