Top 10 Posters

How Can I Manage My UFO's

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 30 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
371 Posts
Points 6,495
Arzella posted on Wed, Dec 7 2011 9:55 PM

I am trying to figure out how or what can I do with my UFO's and how can I find the time to complete them. When you have a full time job, a husband, two chihuahua's and a wolf shepherd that needs your undivided attention, then it's kind of hard to do.

It's kind of hard during the weekdays because the days are short and there is not much time when I get off from work until I go to bed.  The weekends aren't so bad.  I can have most of Saturday to myself to try to catch up on my UFO's and there is Sunday after I come home from Church.

I probably can put in at least 5-6 hours on the weekend to get something done on my UFO's.  If I can get the time to do them, then maybe I can use them for Christmas presents.

If anyone have any other ideas on my UFO's, I welcome them.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Female
371 Posts
Points 6,495

Jeanine;

I like your suggestions on how to manage my UFO's.  You have some very good ideas and I think I will do that.  I came home today from work and started working on my 8" tiger blocks.  I think I did about 12 of them.  Thank you for your advice and motivation.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,430 Posts
Points 40,415
Mimi replied on Thu, Dec 8 2011 9:17 PM

Flojo:
Now if I could just put housework in a bin and take it out when I wanted to do it. 

Flojo - I have never laughed so hard in my life.  Oh I really appreciated your comment.  Do they make plastic bins big enough??

Top 150 Contributor
Female
649 Posts
Points 12,665

Vivian :

Hahahahahah, when you get an answer, let me know!!! Hahahahah!!!  Too many quilts, too little time to complete.  I used to be a completer before I really got into quilting, now, not so much. 

Oh I hear ya Vivian w/ my anal retentive personality i never ever let things go unfinished and even after I become a quilter I stayed that way until about 3 years ago but once I stayed working on bigger more detailed projects I would get bored working on the same thing so I would start something else just to have variety...Ya Enough said...lol

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

It never occured to me that a small quilt could be made so I had all these queen/kings and the TIME it took to make them.  Huge!!!  Also, i got involved in a couple of BOM and I am working on the Underground Railway so lots of blocks with teey tiny little pieces.  When I get tired of them, i work on something else.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
371 Posts
Points 6,495

Jeanine;

I am almost finish with my UFO.  I did a lot of sewing yesterday.  It makes you feel really good when you are close to completing something that you have started.  Take a look at what I am working on.  http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/media/p/295418.aspx   and tell me what you think.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,583 Posts
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 9:00 AM

I've just about 2 UFOs finished....only about 18 to go. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,307 Posts
Points 20,790

I have 2 quilts that are ufo's....no make that 3.........one i am handquilting, one is a pinwheel quilt in purples that i am still piecing, and the 3rd one is at my SIL's waiting its turn to go on the longarm.....sew many projects sew little time! 

I work 40 plus hours a week....so my days off are days that i try to catch up on everything....laundry, general housework, qca, quilting, and we are building our house, shopping.....it's slow going around here for sure!

it will get done EVENTUALLY!

happy quilting!

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Top 100 Contributor
Female
843 Posts
Points 18,935
Cindy replied on Sun, Dec 11 2011 8:45 AM

I am a just a little anal about keeping things organized.  When I retired 2 years ago, my goal was to get all those UFOs completed and stay on top of those projects that were started or wanted to start.  I started a spread sheet of all my projects and I'm really happy with my progress so far.  I up date my spread sheet about every 6 months...so far I have only 2 quilts that need quilting from this year, one UFO from many years ago that needs to be completed and I have completed about 20 other projects. My friends and family have been gifted, but best of all I don't feel that stress of having so many projects waiting to be completed.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

Arzella:

Jeanine;

I am almost finish with my UFO.  I did a lot of sewing yesterday.  It makes you feel really good when you are close to completing something that you have started.  Take a look at what I am working on.  http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/media/p/295418.aspx   and tell me what you think.

I love the tigers fussy cut in the center of the blocks.  Very cool effect.  What kind of fabric did you use for the sashing?  It looks shiny.  The colors work well.  Who is this quilt going to?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:

Now, Jeanine, tell her the truth. There is no organization in quilting. Every sewing room looks like a bomb went off in it. It is supposed to be that way. If anyone came in and cleaned up my sewing room, I would never find anything, again.  UFO's?  Perhaps, we should all rent one of those storage things they deliver to your door. ROFLOL.

I never said it was neat...but there has to be some organization under the chaos.  Organized chaos could describe my quilt studio.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
649 Posts
Points 12,665

Cindy:

I am a just a little anal about keeping things organized.  When I retired 2 years ago, my goal was to get all those UFOs completed and stay on top of those projects that were started or wanted to start.  I started a spread sheet of all my projects and I'm really happy with my progress so far.  I up date my spread sheet about every 6 months...so far I have only 2 quilts that need quilting from this year, one UFO from many years ago that needs to be completed and I have completed about 20 other projects. My friends and family have been gifted, but best of all I don't feel that stress of having so many projects waiting to be completed.

Cindy i would love to learn more about your spread sheet.

Signed,

A Anal Kindred Sister

dee

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,261 Posts
Points 28,525
Agnes replied on Sun, Dec 11 2011 1:44 PM

Cindy:
I started a spread sheet of all my projects

I find the spread sheet a wonderful tool. I am sort of in both worlds with mine. I get it all set up and printed. Then I post it on my bulletin board at the cutting/ironing station. From this point until it gets too messy I make updates manually. You have no idea the satisfaction I get using the Sharpie marker to draw lines through the projects as I finish them. I need to get a new one up. I started with over a doz early in 2011. 2012 will have about 4 and they are all 2011 starts. Actually the newest one is still just in the idea stage and I am not starting it until the rest of the list , with the exception of the ongoing project, is done. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

Oh dear, a visual finger shaking reminder to finish.  Should work for me as well.

Not Ranked
16 Posts
Points 310

I work a full time job, a part time job and take care of the grandkids quite a bit.  For me, I find if I put my projects in clear plastic shoe box type storage container, with everything except the batting for the project and label the box, I'm more inclinded to work on them, as they are in plain site and not hiding in box or bag. 

It's easy to grab a container, work on it a bit and when time runs out, put everything back in the container for the next time.  Helps me stay on top of things.

Roxie

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

thats what I do.  I know what is in each box and everything is in it.  I can grab it and go to a friends house or to the sewing school to meet with my quilty friends.  Its great except that there is always a new favorite to work on.

Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use