rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 555
Peg Posted: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:30 AM

Hello everyone!

I'm sorry I've been so slow at introducing myself but we've had H1N1 running rampant through our house and it seems that I've had the hardest time getting it out of my system. We're all on the mend now but still fighting fatigue.

I've been quilting for about 10 years but I've been doing all sorts of needlework my entire life. I think my mom started teaching me to sew when I was about 4. I can remember always having a needle, thread or some sort of needlework in my hand any time I had a few free minutes.

My mom was a sewing teacher, seamstress and all around wonderful needle artist. The woman could do it all. Well all but quilt. She made beautiful clothing, she could knit and crochet the most intricate of tablecloths, bed coverings etc but she never learned to quilt and it was one thing she always loved and never had the opportunity to do. I started quilting when she died in 1999 and I haven't stopped since.

Most of all, I love applique. I prefer needleturn but also do quite a bit of machine applique as well. Piecing is fun but I'm an impatient person and sometimes get frustrated in making the same blocks over and over I like having a variety of things to do so I find I always have 3-4 projects going at once so I can switch up a bit when I get bored.

Right now I"m working on a hand applique piece by AieRossman called "Affairs of the Heart." Ive been working on it about 6 months now.   I am also working on holiday table runners, holiday wall hangings, some flannel slippers for my mother-in-law and starting to find a great appreciation for crazy quilting. I am attending my first crazy quilt group meeting this Saturday and I'm anxious to get going because I find that crazy quilting will allow me the ultimate freedom to use all of my love for different stitches, applique and the ultimate freedom of artistic license... I cannot wait...

I look forward to chatting with you all, learning from your experiences and generally having a good time with you!
Glad to meet you all!
Peg

Peg Y.

Wife, Mom, Quilter, Dreamer!

Mantra: Live, Love, Laugh!

• | Post Points: 155
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,957

Welcome Peg, Im sure you will love it here.

Leslie

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 80
Points 835

Welcome Peg

glad you joined us and hope yall will be feeling better soon.

Jean

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,202
Points 239,092
Thea replied on Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:40 AM

Welcome to QCA Pat, I am sorry that you had to suffere through H1N1 - we are afraid that I might be contracting it - hopoing not but I was exposed on Halloween... so trying to take it real slow as I am already compromised with RA. 

this is a great place for quilters and getting better every day.  Again welcome to QCA and look foreward to seeinmg pictures of your work and getting to know you better.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 362
Points 8,312

Welcome Peg to QCA.  It is a blast! 

I've 'met' so many wonderful ladies through this and it just keeps getting better & better.  They just casually mention things they do that I had not thought of and it is helping my skills also.  One thing about it, there is always someone writing, even in the middle of the night.  So if you can squeeze in some time, look us up!  It really is fun and educational as well. 

Thanks all you ladies that have been helping me along.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511

Hi Peg.   Welcome to QCA and thank you for the great introduction. 

My mom was also a great seamstress and made all my clothes when I was growing up but she never ventured into any of the other needle arts.  I tried sewing garments for a few years and never could get past the basics, but when I found quilting about 16 years ago I threw away all my clothing patterns and never looked back.  I hope that my mom would be happy to know that I am at least sewing something!

I have also developed an interest lately in crazy quilting.  I've read a few books and started to collect some fabrics by shopping the thrift stores for garments in various fabrics.  I'd be very interested to hear about your meeting.

We're glad you've joined us and would love to see some pics of your projects.

Southwest Florida

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,706
Points 436,515
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 6 2009 8:24 AM

Welcome Peg.  It is so nice to hear from you.  Sorry that you have been sick .  The flu is just knocking so many people down.  I also love crazy quilts but haven't made one yet.  I hope you post more with us and would love to see pictures.

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Fri, Nov 6 2009 8:53 AM

Welcome Peg,

I would love to do some crazy quilting.  I have a couple books on it, and a lot of thoughts in my head. It would be neat if someone started a crazy quilt group on this web site. That is one thing we haven't seen very much of.  Or even just start a forum, with pictures.  Do you have any you can share with us?

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,202
Points 239,092
Thea replied on Fri, Nov 6 2009 9:57 AM

Patti - why don't you contact QCA Liz and talk to her about starting a Crazy Quilt Group - that sounds fun to me.  I have seen some very beautiful ones - My Mom has one made from Velvet that my Great Great Grandmother Vervaeke made - It was never finished but the handwork was awesome - the stitching.  they have a quilt shop in wichita kansas that the lady does nothing but crazy quilts and i could just sit in her showroom looking at one on the wall and it would take me a month to see all the different things on it. 

I think you might get quite a few people to join your group!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 408
Points 6,639
Shelia replied on Fri, Nov 6 2009 10:44 AM

Hi Peg and welcome to QCA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,706
Points 436,515
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 6 2009 10:57 AM

Peg

Who is the very attractive gentleman in your avatar.

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Hi, Peg, and welcome to the QCA forums!

I, too, have a couple of crazy quilts that were made by my great-aunt. One was totally finished and is dated 1907 or maybe it's 1903. The other was totally finished except for the binding. I did it. I have one on a quilt rack in the guest room.

Sorry to hear that your family has had H1N1. It is a nasty illness. Glad you're feeling better. Have fun at your crazy quilt group.

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,604

Hi Peg and welcome to QCA.  I'm sure you will love the crazy quilt group, my very first quilt was a crazy quilt that I made when pregnant with my first child.  It was not the embellished one, it was all machine sewn but it was fun. I hope, at some point, you will share pictures of your projects. Again, Welcome to QCA and I look forward to getting to chat with you also.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Peg--

So nice to meet you, too.  As others have already, this is the BEST site for quilters.  We have loads of fun, and even learn new stuff along the way.  Thanks for the great introduction and I hope we'll hear more from you.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 649
Points 12,665

Peg...welcome to the group-the more you are here the more you will love it as everyone here has such big hearts and all so nice to each other. I am fairly new here also but these ladies have made me feel welcome right from my first post.

How blessed you were to have such a great teacher in your mom. You also sound very talented.

Sorry to hear you & your family have been bitten by the bug, please rest and take it easy and continue to get better.

Again a very warm welcome to you...any anyone else I might have missed, i still have a hard time keeping up.

• | Post Points: 65
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use