quilted window treatments

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 21 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,307 Posts
Points 20,790
KATHY posted on Mon, Dec 5 2011 7:21 AM

My dh and I are planning to add onto our house this spring.  I was considering possibly making window treatments from quilt tops.  I was thinking flannel  instead of batting, and loops to slide onto curtain rods.  Has anyone else done this?  How would you go about it other than what I suggested already?  This inquiring Mind needs to know....what do you think?

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

This is a different type of quilted window covering - roman shades.  Patti was working on a set at the Leavenworth WA retreat this past October, and I was intrigued.  She shared the book that has patterns for this, and I was able to order a used copy on Amazon. 

Pieced Roman Shades by Terrell Sundermann.  It has some very pretty patterns.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
622 Posts
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Mon, Dec 5 2011 8:07 AM

Kathy - I,too, have a project that I should have gotten on my windows LAST year, but this is a national company with quilted ribs and you add fabric over the top, so that part can be your quilted (or pieced) section. It is also a Roman Shade, and Nancy suggests, but the quilted backing is purchased through WARM WINDOW. 

This has been around a long time, but these people are great!  The Decorating Diva travels with certain shows and demos how to put the thing together.  AND, besides the top piecing part, if that is the way you want to go, IT IS WITHOUT SEWING.  Just nails, hammer, and staple gun (including the staple that resembles the buttoneer that is advertised, But I suggest you DON'T get the Buttoneer, as it needs something that will go through thicker fabric).  Google the stuff, JoAnns carries the quilted and lined back piece.  And you can do it lengthwise if you want side-pulling curtains, say for sliding glass doors...... I am in a rush to get to work, but if you can't find it, I will post it later....

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

I don't know if I would do flannel.  Im thinking that it would increase the dust in the house.  Unless you want to wash them more often than the once every 10 years that I seem to be working on. (joking, but not more than once a year for sure)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,307 Posts
Points 20,790

thank you!! I appreciate your help everyone!

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,362 Posts
Points 415,009
gini replied on Mon, Dec 5 2011 7:08 PM

Vivian :
Unless you want to wash them more often than the once every 10 years

you're supposed to wash curtains?  i'm sorry, i have too much to do already.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

Actualy, after my husband and I quit smoking, I noticed I didn't have to wash curtains as often, and then I thought because we live in the country with a lovely belt of trees around out house, why use them at all?  I do have them in the bedroom but just because Mr, Sun and I don't see eye to eye in the morning at least not Both eyes!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Mon, Dec 5 2011 7:22 PM

gini:

Vivian :
Unless you want to wash them more often than the once every 10 years

you're supposed to wash curtains?  i'm sorry, i have too much to do already.

No, no, its drapes you don't wash!  Curtains have to be washed, starched and ironed at least once a year.  Conversely, I have no curtains in my house.lol 

Because you would have to back  the quilt tops with something.  I think the flannel would be much better than batting as far as dust would go, AND it would show your quilting to some extent, although not as much as batting. If you did not want your quilting to show, just  quilt in the ditch every 12 to 18 inches would be enough to hold the layers (2 or 3) together and keep them from sagging.  A girl friend made  some for her old drafty windows in her old house using batting and  it really tended  to insuluate her windows much better than just two layers of fabric.  Of course she quilted them in a 3 inch grid.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
123 Posts
Points 2,200

I did a patchwork valance with loops at the top for a bathroom window. Turned out nice. I didn't use batting, just muslin on the back and stitch in the ditch. Good luck.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,307 Posts
Points 20,790

sheri

this is what I was thinking too.....I just want the longer ones to hang  straight.  Was thinking flannel in the middle though for maybe an insulation type thing  like drapes have.......with muslin on the back...with the idea being keeping heat/air in and maybe helping with the electric bill lol!  But  a fashionable  look for a quilters home ( haha)

thank you! 

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Top 500 Contributor
Female
123 Posts
Points 2,200

i want to do curtains for the bedrooms. Let me know how the flannel works out instead of batting. Our retirement home is in the north woods of Wisconsin and think a "batting" in a patchwork curtain would be nice.

Not Ranked
Female
8 Posts
Points 280

Now you girls have done it!   I'm going to have to try quilted  curtains, I don't have enough unfinished projects!!   But it sounds like such a good idea and since I only have to wash them every 10 years I can handle it.    We live in an old (1932) drafty house and the winters in the UP make it pretty drafty in here sometimes.  I get a lot of sun in my windows in the summer and I'll bet it would keep the heat out as well.  Perhaps a backing in some kind of a natural colored chintz would keep the sun from fading these beauties.  What do you think?

Yooper Girl

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,840
Nana replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 9:24 AM

Kathy

I think you can find a fabric in the home decor section that actually helps insulate drapes.  Maybe something like this would make a good "batting" for curtains.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,395 Posts
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 9:34 AM

JoAnn's does have a large selection of a great variety of linings for curtains, drapes.  What I got for my Roman shades is something that looks light, does have to be steam ironed to shrink, but is insulating and protects the fabric from fading, and lets the light through!  So when I get my Roman shades done, they will look like stained glass!  I will look up later in my Roman Shades book what that stuff is called.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,195 Posts
Points 24,070

I was just talking with my sister about this!!!  I may have to give it a try

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use